Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
addict
addict
This is something I made a thread about it too, and have seen MULTIPLE posts. I REALLY hope this isn't something like the armor system in OS2 where they were adament in it despite lots of feedback and we still ended up with what it was. I do hope they make the TEAM be part of the conversation. Even with co-op, i want my co-op partner to be able to do a roll because his character can. D&D is a team game, why is one person doing everything? Solasta does a team convo, and if their small team with a much smaller budget can do it, then so can Larian.

One thing is, we won't know if they plan on changing it UNTIL it happens, so for now we can just keep saying it and hoping, i get that from OS2 thing where a decent amount of stuff was not being communicated and we didn't know if it would be changed or not.

E
stranger
stranger
E
+1

stranger
stranger
yeah, totally agree. I made a post regarding this too. Just an example from the prologue, when looking at the brain, you have the option to investigate. I knew my co-op partner should be better at it, AND he was standing right besides me. But Tough luck, it wasn't him he started the conversation. It makes no sense, why he should not be able to take a look too

journeyman
journeyman
I also thought companions were a tad more passive than the situation warranted - at the very least, I would have expected them to voice their opinion in the aforementioned mindflayer scene (e.g. "Kill it already and be done with it!" or some such). I suspect that that may be something that will be added along the way, since it was present in DOS2.

Also, companions don't seem to react to different player backgrounds at all. My character is a Drow cleric of Selûne (unlikely combination, I know), and Shadowheart, who as a cleric of a rival goddess should have hated her on sight, didn't even blink. In fact, the two of them are getting along surprisingly well so far.

stranger
stranger
I completely agree. Other characters should be able to act for different types of skill checks, just like D&D.

apprentice
apprentice
I would very much like ability checks to be taken by the character with the highest bonuses by default.
Both in dialogue and in the world.

G
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
G
Originally Posted by Nimue_de

Also, companions don't seem to react to different player backgrounds at all. My character is a Drow cleric of Selûne (unlikely combination, I know), and Shadowheart, who as a cleric of a rival goddess should have hated her on sight, didn't even blink. In fact, the two of them are getting along surprisingly well so far.

I think Shadowheart hides who she worships unless the main character persuades her to confess.

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
agreed, one of my main cristicisms aswell.
do it just like in kingmaker -> highest modifier in the party applies. thats why you have a party, so not everybody needs to be the "i care for animals" or "i am fkin handsome" dude.
Perhaps block certain characters from a Dialogue option, if it would be against their believes. Like if some option goes directly against the teachings of shar, shadowheart may not make that roll, so the next best is taken.

H
stranger
stranger
H
Originally Posted by cae37
I agree. Not just for conversations, but gameplay moments as well.

When you get to the first open area, for example, you can find the Mind Flayer who tried to turn you and you have to pass a series of insight/wisdom checks to avoid getting tricked into feeding yourself to it. I failed my last check and my character basically leaned towards the mind flayer slowly for a "kiss" and it basically consumed me right in front of my companions. None of them said or did anything to stop me from sacrificing myself.

If the game had made it seem like they were also getting mentally manipulated I'd have understood, but it literally just looked like they were passively standing in the background staring at me getting eaten.

^this so much. I was expecting my companions to step in and stab it but nope...they just watched me die. Conversations definitely need to automatically have characters step in when their proficiencies come into play.

stranger
stranger
+1

H
stranger
stranger
H
+1

enthusiast
enthusiast
+1

Larian already said this is coming, but the quicker the better.

Necromancy is just recycling...
B
stranger
stranger
B
+1

S
stranger
stranger
S
+1

I am having a lot of fun playing a warlock with some friends. I want to share the conversation spotlight with them but every time we do it feels like we are playing sub-optimally. It would be nice for them to get to initiate/participate in conversations and then - if needed - my character could interject something to make the roll.

journeyman
journeyman
I'd like to see that as well, where the others make comments and what they think in conversations. Also Shadowheart will not tell you who she worships unless you force her to tell you, is that the right word.

Last edited by Iszaryn; 20/10/20 06:54 PM.
T
addict
addict
T
Yeah, I kind of feel annoyed when we are doing multiplayer and we have to put the face forward in case of conversation instead of leading with scout or tank.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
+1

It feels janky how only the character you select or the one closest to trigger a conversation gets to have any say in it, either via response choice or skill rolls. The only way around it right now is to know in advance what the conversation is going to be and pick the one character you want to run the show, which is too meta-gamey.

stranger
stranger
+1

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard