Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 41 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 40 41
apprentice
apprentice
Combat is too easy.

I think its clear for any of you min/max RPG vets and D&D vets. Once you know what you're doing its really pathetically easy. Most of the goblin camp dies to a single hit, and thats before we have any huge AOEs.

Stuff needs more HP, more enemy healers, more challenge.

apprentice
apprentice
I'm not longer so sure about the cantrips surfaces one .. I dont like the barrels but about the cantrips i changed opinion after more than 20 hours of playing.

In the start i thought .. why are we changing the rules?, firebolt is 1d10 thats it ... then i thought well .. it could be that in p&p they cant implement that as is too much dice to keep track for a cantrip and in the game is ok.
Then i saw ice with prone in the ice cantrip, and acid surface with -2 ac in acid splash

Now I'm liking it, why?
- Firebolt does the same damage, but can do damage if fails, now its 1d6 attack +1d4 saving throw, and can combo with other spells like it did in dragon age origin for example, (but please dont set 800 explosive barrels)
- Frostbolt 1d8 with slow, + prone if save fail, it also combo with fire, so if you frost+fire with 2 mages you make wet (more on this later)
- Acid splash, 1d8 + (-2) ac, but also affect your melee chars, usefull vs bosses
- Shocking grasp, does extra damage vs wet (combo there)

Do you reallize the options it gives you? you could combo 2-3 casters and do cool combos, and you no longer have a "firebolt is the best always! (unless inmunity)" because lets be real, in 5E i never pick anything other than firebolt. Sometimes if you have prior campain knowledge you can pick other think like the one that cuts healing, but really? you never pick anything other than firebolt . (lets forget booming blade here, thats for melee)

Now i just made a new campaing with a wizard, and first spell was acid splash

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Jonneh
Combat is too easy.

I think its clear for any of you min/max RPG vets and D&D vets. Once you know what you're doing its really pathetically easy. Most of the goblin camp dies to a single hit, and thats before we have any huge AOEs.

Nah.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
T
apprentice
apprentice
T
Originally Posted by malks
Originally Posted by WarBaby2
5e does allow everyone to use scrolls though.

That's the misconception Larian has fallen victim to, too, I guess: Yes, all characters can use MAGIC scrolls - which are basically one-use magic items, but only casters can use (and, in the case of Wizards, copy) SPELL scrolls - ie. scrolls on which actual arcane/divine spells have been written on to be used by casters who have to those spells on their list of useable spells. As it happens, most scrolls you can find in the game right now are of the latter variety, and should NOT be useable by everyone.

I can't get to the books right now. I'm at work.

But as I recall, there are divine scrolls in 5e. Anyone can use them.
i was wrong here, thanks for verifying.

I am for the proficiency in skill requirement, otherwise maybe check or no use at all. For this game it would make more sense, be cooler, more realistic and pull it away from DOS, something that's been raging many people.

The books rule it's class limited. That would be fine too.

It definitely takes away from the game to have the classes less unique. I'm not coming to this game as someone who ever played the original Baldur's Gate games, nor have I played any D&D game. However, my bf and I were so amped up for this game, we've been planning on building a second PC just so we can play co-op. However, if classes are made to be more distinct (and limited where appropriate), then that might not happen.

journeyman
journeyman
hasn't been noted that some weapons (spears and quarterstaves) are fixed 2h instead of Versatile. They should be Versatile

about empty containers: most of them should just not be interactable with

journeyman
journeyman
Combat is too easy.

goblins should be this much weak, its theyr job. I'd say tier 1 enemies in general (1-4 PC lvl) are supposed to not pose that much of challange. Higher tiers and theyr higher CR monster are the real deal

apprentice
apprentice
Combat is too easy.

We are level 1-4 right now (altough a bunch of goblins for level 4s is a bit easy) so it's ok. Later on I do think we're getting more of the bestiary which would be a challenge and harder experience as I hope. D&D has so many monsters on the bestiary they should try using as many as they can.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by kasakoff
Combat is too easy.

goblins should be this much weak, its theyr job. I'd say tier 1 enemies in general (1-4 PC lvl) are supposed to not pose that much of challange. Higher tiers and theyr higher CR monster are the real deal

A rogue practically one shot the 50 health boss with one sneak attack. Individual goblins might be that weak, but to make the encounter more difficult you'd have a lot more of them or some worgs/trolls joining in.

apprentice
apprentice
*The rest system is too simple, too open to abuse

http://forums.larian.com//ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=683853

veteran
veteran
The Urchin and Criminal backgrounds doesn't seem to grant proficiency in Thieves' Tools/Trap Disarm Kits (which should come as a set in terms of proficiency bonuses).

IF Disguise Kits are going to be a thing (and disguises might be a thing because of the Disguise Self spell), the Charlatan, Entertainer, and Urchin backgrounds should grant proficiency in that.
IF Forgery is going to be in the game (a long shot), the Charlatan background should grant proficiency in that.

When casting spells which can be cast at a higher level, clicking on the spell should bring up a floating menu to select which spell level to cast it at. If you have no slots of a certain level, it should be grayed-out and unselectable. The current implementation of having multiple levels of spells scattered around the hotbar is just plain bad.

Last edited by Stabbey; 09/10/20 02:47 PM. Reason: floating bar for spellcasting at higher levels
stranger
stranger
replying to make sure this stays near the top of the boards because this is top tier!

Maybe also adding:
1) reactions being a toggle is really bad when you are going to use a spell slot. You don't want to toggle on counterspell or shield to find out it is something you don't want to stop and waste a spell slot
2)Maybe sorting out how spell casting times for (i.e if a spell takes 1-10 minutes only being able to cast it outside of combat or if it takes even longer only during the campfire).
3)just... find familiar is wrong, feels wrong. what did they do to it.

Hoping to help Larian by giving feedback and engaging in dialogue. Let's make this game amazing!
C
journeyman
journeyman
C
One thing I noticed about scrolls i don't like (but I'm taking advantage of) is that Wizards can copy divine scrolls. Now my wizard can heal and cast guiding bolt lol.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Akari
I'm not longer so sure about the cantrips surfaces one .. I dont like the barrels but about the cantrips i changed opinion after more than 20 hours of playing.

In the start i thought .. why are we changing the rules?, firebolt is 1d10 thats it ... then i thought well .. it could be that in p&p they cant implement that as is too much dice to keep track for a cantrip and in the game is ok.
Then i saw ice with prone in the ice cantrip, and acid surface with -2 ac in acid splash

Now I'm liking it, why?
- Firebolt does the same damage, but can do damage if fails, now its 1d6 attack +1d4 saving throw, and can combo with other spells like it did in dragon age origin for example, (but please dont set 800 explosive barrels)
- Frostbolt 1d8 with slow, + prone if save fail, it also combo with fire, so if you frost+fire with 2 mages you make wet (more on this later)
- Acid splash, 1d8 + (-2) ac, but also affect your melee chars, usefull vs bosses
- Shocking grasp, does extra damage vs wet (combo there)

Do you reallize the options it gives you? you could combo 2-3 casters and do cool combos, and you no longer have a "firebolt is the best always! (unless inmunity)" because lets be real, in 5E i never pick anything other than firebolt. Sometimes if you have prior campain knowledge you can pick other think like the one that cuts healing, but really? you never pick anything other than firebolt . (lets forget booming blade here, thats for melee)

Now i just made a new campaing with a wizard, and first spell was acid splash

Awesome yeah I had first thought that would be good too.

But then, what about martial classes? Might as well get rid of them cause wizards will be ruling it from 1 to 20....

stranger
stranger
-Minor illusion needs to be more than a "distraction.*

Should have options of what it can do. Distracting noise. Small wall. Etc.

journeyman
journeyman
Combat is too easy.

I think as right now it's ok for a normal difficulty.

Higher difficulties should get more challenginf than what we have at the moment, but it could be easier for the easy and very easy.

Not everyone is a veteran.

Edit:typo

Last edited by malks; 09/10/20 03:06 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
http://forums.larian.com//ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=683936&#Post683936

This is a first but I have to post it here since that would be pretty frickin awesome.

Weather and day/night cycles.

Edit: explanation

Last edited by malks; 09/10/20 03:18 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Combat is too easy.

I think as right now it's ok for a normal difficulty.

Higher difficulties should get more challenginf than what we have at the moment, but it could be easier for the easy and very easy.

Not everyone is a veteran.

Edit:typo

I'd be ok with this so long as there were one or two higher settings, yes

veteran
veteran
http://forums.larian.com//ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=683936&#Post683936

This is a first but I have to post it here since that would be pretty frickin awesome.

Weather and day/night cycles.

Edit: explanation

Larian has been pretty adamant about the fact that they can't be bothered implementing a day/night cycle since they think it's too much work for too little return.

A bit of a bummer, if you ask me, but also fairly old news at this point.

Last edited by Tuco; 09/10/20 03:23 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Z
stranger
stranger
Z
Thank you for making and maintaining this thread!

Wizard

Firebolt: Feels lackluster. What is supposed to be wizard's bread and butter attack is now something that destroys their webs and grease, leaves annoying un-immersive fire puddles everywhere and does less on hit damage than Ray of Frost, a CC spell.
Ray of Frost: The slowed movement would be better than the annoying puddle melee fighters get affected by.
Find Familiar: Not being able to use this as a ritual or cast spells through it kinda just makes it feel like a ranger pet, not a celestial/fay/fiend you have made your servant through magic. Having to resummon it after every long rest is annoying and hopefully by the time EA is done we have all the animals listed in the PhB as options ( bat, frog (toad), hawk, lizard, octopus, owl, P
poisonous snake, fish (quipper), sea horse, and weasel missing)
Control Water: Can't pour water into a lock and use Control Water to make it freeze and break the lock. 0/10 unplayable.

Gameplay

Companions should not trigger dialogue: Contrary to some other feedback I've seen, I never want to do dialogue as my companion, they are an NPC. Main character should always be the face of the party in singleplayer.
Sneak Attack: Should be automated when requirements are met. The UI should also indicate when the requirements are met on the target.
Starting Gear: You should be able to choose your starting gear based on your class and proficiencies like you can in PnP. For example, Life Clerics should get their heavy armor and Githyanki Wizards their medium armor in the creation.
Rests: Two short rests per a long rest would be better.
Speeding up animations: Option to speed up enemy turn animations would make the combat go faster. Games such as Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Fire Emblem: Three Houses have this function and it's great.
Group Movement: If linked, everyone should crouch when the PC crouches. Similarly, everyone should jump when the PC jumps up a hill.
Hidden Character and Initiative: If close enough to combat, hidden characters should absolutely be part of the initiative roll. Having to manually drag them into the combat is just weird.
Invoke Duplicity: This skill was butchered bad. At the very least let the cleric cast spells through it.
Carry Weight: Party sharing inventory and weight would be a great QoL change because shuffling loot around from low STR character to high STR character or having to loot on a specific character at all times is annoying.
Food: The healing effect is just devaluing potions, rest and healing abilities and trivializing resource management while the items are cluttering inventory.
Seduction: There is no seduction dialogues. Larian plz
Amulets: Oh god the amulets! Why are they everywhere, why is there no enchanted rings?

UI
Spell Preparation: The spellbook UI doesn't clearly tell how many spells you can have prepared.
Spells on Hotbar: The hotbar is terrible for casters. Not being able to tell what level a spell is at glance is bad.

Last edited by Zeraman; 09/10/20 03:26 PM.
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Combat is too easy.

I agree that knowing the game makes a huge impact and once you know the ins and outs combat becomes too easy. But isnt that more of an effect of not having extra difficulty settings at the moment? To me at leadt it seems like the combat is reasonably tuned for someone who isnt a DnD expert, so good stuff like hardcoe and ability to level beyond 4 is comming, just further down the line.

Page 7 of 41 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 40 41

Link Copied to Clipboard