Next Thread
Print Thread
#684847 09/10/20 10:41 PM
P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
I feel that many of the attributes (strength, intelligence, etc.) are far too high on certain enemies. For example in the underdark random petrified drow have 3 18s in stats at level 4. A level 4 player will have most likely a single 18 stat.

Furthermore boosting the health of enemies to a ridiculous degree is not a good idea. An example is the monitor (weak beholder) that you fight. In DnD these tend to have hp at about 36 or so and are considered a challenge for a level 3 party to overcome. In BG3 their hp is in the 80s making this ridiculous compared to actual DnD.

My issue is not that these fights or situations I’ve listed aren’t winnable, it’s that you are forced to have often long rest immediately afterwards. There are a multitude of fights like this in the game and I feel that the game is not balanced for DnD healing rules. (I could go onto surfaces etc in regard to this healing).

In DnD you tend to have a multitude of fights before having a long test. In Divinity Original Sin 2 you can bedroll after every fight. Baldur’s Gate 3 therefore feels to me as if it’s been balanced with Divinity Original Sin 2’s healing as opposed to DnD healing.

My issue is not that fights are too hard or impossible to win, it’s that the difficult of fights is often too high to make the player want to do more than 1 per long rest. (Never mind the fact that there is no incentive not to constantly long rest.)

C
C
So they are cheating on enemies like they do in divinity 1 and 2. That is extremely aggravating. They can't follow the rules set by the system they chose to do a game in

P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
The issue is not really in changing monsters or enemies as such, as of course it’s a game and they will have to balance things. The problem is that every fight is a challenge for the party that can potentially kill them if they don’t do well. I.e. every fight is a CR3 at the bare minimum if not a CR5 when you’re at a level 3 area.

Changing stats and attributes is fine but they need to decide if they want to go divinity and make us long rest after every fight or if this is actually a DnD game and balance accordingly. They need to set a target I.e. we want the player to long rest every 3-5 fights or so and stick to it.

If every fight depletes the player or forces them to use all of their resources then this is not balanced like DnD.

C
C
AH, yeah that is true, currently every fight is a short rest and frequently too many long rests beecause I dared make a warlock and we have limited short rest.

As I saw on another thread, it's like they are afraid sometime to make a goblin just a goblin. No he needs three scrolls and a couple vials of alchemist's fire as a random gobbo :P

P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Agreed, they’ve balanced the entire game like DOS2 and not 5e. Fighting the goblin leaders should be life or death, random goblins should not be life or death per individual encounter. The smaller fights should be about attrition and repeated encounters rather than “every group of enemies can potentially kill me easily”.

stranger
stranger
I also think that the fight balance is way off. I had to use up several healing potions and even one reserect scroll before I even met all the companions.

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
I deifnitely agree. They need to nerf the lethality of normal mobs, and restrict when and how often you can do long rests. it would make the game way more interesting, where you really have to think carefully which powerful spells to use and wehn. As it is now, you can just go full nuke mode every battle, because you'll have a long rest after, every time.

P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Yeah, at the moment I’m trying not to blast off all my spells at once and do multiple encounters without resting but it’s just not worth it and there’s not reason not to long rest/use every spell both mechanically in terms of being able to long rest all the time and difficulty wise with every fight taking you close to death.

Link Copied to Clipboard