Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Sagaz
Originally Posted by Balrodir
For me, the sneak-attack damage is shown as a different line in the combat log. It does not say it's from sneak-attack, but I attacked once by clicking the sneak-attack skill first, and I got 2 lines for damage dealt. I had 1 dagger equipped.

Yeah, that second line is the sneak attack damage.
The formula for how many sneak attack dice a rogue has is ((Level - 1) / 2) + 1, always rounding down.
So, on levels 1 and 2 you have one sneak attack die, on levels 3 and 4 you have two sneak attack dice and so on...

The problem here, that may be the reason for the confusion, is that the game, instead of rolling the appropriate number of dice, instead rolls only one d6 and then multiplies for the amount of dice (as if they all had landed on the same value).

That's what the second line reads. 4 (1d6 Piercing) means a single roll of a d6, resulting in a 4. then multiplied by the formula to know how many dice.

On the handfull of times that sneak attack actually worked, I did notice that very odd damage formula. I don't know why they had the foolish idea to make just rolling some d6 far more complicated and with inaccurate damage because of it.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by babyshaker
Originally Posted by Cresius
Sorry if this has already been covered, but what exactly does the 'backstab' mechanic give your character? Not Sneak Attack, but when you are behind an opponent, you get a gree narrow that says "Backstab" but I'm having trouble finding a description for exactly what it grants you (like a +2 to hit or something?)

Thanks!

(BTW -great work so far, looking forward to the continued development and polish over the next few months!)

Unlike Divinity, there isn't a backstab mechanic that gives bonus damage, but the sneak attack from rogues that can be melee or ranged (bow, xbow, etc.) that is a d6 of damage, but you get more d6's worth of damage as you progress in the rogue class, with 10d6 bonus damage as a level 20 rogue.

Think they're asking about this, where you'll see a bonus called "Backstab" when attacking a target in the back:
[Linked Image]

Looking at the combat log, it appears to grant advantage and trigger sneak attack.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Darklighter; 08/10/20 05:30 AM.
stranger
stranger
How do you put images in your post? When I tried to link an image in one of my posts it just showed the url.

Last edited by Merristan; 08/10/20 05:55 AM.
stranger
stranger
Yeah, currently the Sneak Attack is definitely not working properly. As a melee rogue you can at least get it regularly because the backstabbing modifier you get for attacking from behind is the only way to trigger it consistently (Sneak Attack from a party member being within the needed range of the target only worked sometimes for me, even when it definitely should have). Where it's really broken is with ranged sneak attacks. At first I tried to play a ranged focussed rogue, ambushing enemies from a distance, but I almost never got a sneak attack. The main problem is that at the moment it doesn't get triggered by you having an advantage on your attack, which it should. So, until they fix it, the best strategy seems to be to always go melee with your rogue and don't bother with attack advantages from hiding. Strike them from behind and if an enemy switches his attention to you, just jump behind him again.

Last edited by Aengist; 08/10/20 12:12 PM.
K
stranger
stranger
K
from playing through 20+ hours as my rogue can confirm that you only get sneak attack with a backstab melee hit, or a high ground ranged attack hit. any negative at all will negate the sneak attack so
(high ground + hidden advantage + out of weapons range/target in darkness) = no sneak attack dice rolled

apprentice
apprentice
Basically, your attack must be done at only advantage. You can't attack at what would be disadvantage (as it and advantage will cancel out; advantages don't stack and neither do disadvantages).

stranger
stranger
Hello everybody, here is my experience regarding Sneak Attack.

My understanding of when using the Sneak Attack ability should trigger a second damage roll (correct me if I'm wrong)
- Whenever you see any green arrow(s) next to the hit percentage, without any red arrows, and you use one of the Sneak Attack abilities
- If you don't see any green/red arrows next to the hit percentage, but one of your allies is standing next to the enemy, and you use one of the Sneak Attack abilities

What works for me:
- Most of the advantages work for me (backstab, high ground..).
- Having no advantages or disadvantages, but having an ally stand next to the enemy.

What doesn't work for me:
- Having an advantage called "Advantage on attack" and using one of the Sneak Attack abilities does not seem to trigger the extra damage roll.

I also tried having only the "Advantage on attack" advantage AND having an ally next to the enemy, just to check if this advantage "cancels" any sneak attacks, but no, it does work.

So I'm assuming the game just ignores "Advantage on attack" as being an advantage when using a Sneak Attack.

I hope this will be fixed soon.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by sndwav
So I'm assuming the game just ignores "Advantage on attack" as being an advantage when using a Sneak Attack.

I hope this will be fixed soon.

When I have only "Advantage on attack" from a spell like Guiding Bolt or Faerie Fire, sneak attack is working fine though. It seems like where the advantage comes from matters.

Last edited by Darklighter; 09/10/20 02:21 PM.
S
stranger
stranger
S
Not sure if anyone else has noticed but this formula for the calculation of sneak attack damage is wrong unless we aren't following typical 5th edition sneak attack rules.
Are we getting 1d6 SA damage every level in BG3 or or every like is core DND 5 ruleset?

This formula is only accurate to core DND rules for level 1.

For example:
(Assuming decimals round down as I expect.)

Level 2 should only be 1d6 still.

However:
1d6 * ((2(Level-1)/2+1)
becomes
1d6 * ((2(2)-1)/2+1)
1d6 * ((4-1)/2+1)
1d6 * (3/2 + 1)
1d6 * (1 + 1)
1d6 * 2 or 2d6

Level 9 should have 5d6.

However:
9th level rogue would have
1d6 * (2(9) -1)/2 + 1) =
1d6 * (18 - 1)/2 + 1 =
1d6 * 17/2 + 1 =
1d6 * 8 +1 =
1d6 * 9 or 9d6

I believe it should be:
1d6 * ((level-1)/2 +1)

<-- Hire me Larian, comp sci/math nerd that loves your work.

stranger
stranger
I think you're correct, but the formula doesn't appear to be doing what it says it is. Here's a level 3 sneak attack.

[Linked Image]

I think (Level) in the formula is actually describing the number it's next to, as your 2 in your formula is a 3 for me at level 3. If so, the formula is scaling correctly.
However, this is still incorrect compaired to 5e, as it's multiplying a 1d6 result instead of rolling additional dice.

Last edited by Darklighter; 09/10/20 11:56 PM.
B
stranger
stranger
B
during a 20+ mephit fight continually respawning, i had lots of opportunity to test this myself with Astarion

The spawned young mud mephits didn't do anything most of the fight (glitch, not really part of this thread) giving me lots of tests without the mob or myself moving (at least 40 successful sneak attacks)

the tooltip says: melee sneak attack: 1d4+3+1d6 (weapon+dex+sneak attack)

issues found:
- sometimes sneak attack wouldn't even register
----it would just do the 1d4+3 damage
----this would occure even without the mob moving or my ally moving between rounds and last round sneak attack did roll the d6 correctly (well, damage wasn't, but the registering of sneak attack conditions was what worked, see next comment)
---- most of the time though, sneak attack would register (probably ~80% of the time it would work)
- when sneak attack did register it did not calculate the damage correctly
---- it would always leave off the 1d4+3
---- i see some comments on this thread mentioning that it would list as a 2nd line item, but no, it did not list or the mob health would not move accordingly
---- the damage total health loss on the mob would be 2 or 3 damage somtimes, which is not even possible with a 1d4+3 dagger modifier (and no resistance, at least not listed in the tooltip or monster manual)

so, conclusion, sneak attack does not work (as the thread title states)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard