Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Amstel Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I'm having an issue with a weapon that I equipped. The weapon (I want to say it was a one handed axe) has a chance to cast bane on a target every time I hit. However when the condition triggers, it casts bane on the target as well as my character. Even after unequipping the weapon and equipping a different melee weapon, the effect still happens. My character swings and hits a different opponent with a different melee weapon, still get bane.

stranger
stranger
What gauntlets are you using, the troll commanders ones are cursed

Amstel Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Just checked:
My character is wearing Gauntlets of Power. The description says nothing about it being cursed.

Gauntlets of Power:
The wearer also gains Absolute's Bane. Creatures hit by an attack may receive a d4 penalty to attack and saving throws.

I feel like it is a stretch to say that when it says creatures it does include the wearer. If it is so, why would anyone want to use them. Possibly have the description say it does affect the wearer.

D
stranger
stranger
D
The info says it grants power to the followers of Absolute, and curses who are not. Not the bottom paragraph, the "lore" part of item.

stranger
stranger
Read the top description... it has a warning.

win10x64
i7-9700F
GTX 2060 super
16GB
stranger
stranger
Also, before you post it's well worth a read through the forum as this has been posted about 20 times now laugh

Amstel Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I read the info/ lore/ description and I still find it misleading. Lets say for sure the self casting bane is working as is intended. If my character has been playing as a follower of the absolute through dialogue options (side note they have), how would a player know if they met those requirements to wear the gauntlets? Unless I missed a background selection or an option in dialogue there hasn't been a clear indication that I am a follower of the absolute unless an NPC has stated it. Yes there is a possibility that option could be further into story; but for being an item that is in act 1 it seems odd. I haven't played the DOS series, but in other rpgs they make it pretty clear that if the player hasn't met X requirement for an item, they'll suffer the negative effects.

Either way if this is the case, and the gauntlets effects are for both wearer and target, its bizarre to me that it would be a reward.

Amstel Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
@duke

Noted, the forum pages have been filling up so quickly, Its a bit of a hassle to keep up on what issue or subject has been talked about. However I'll keep that in mind for future posts.

K
stranger
stranger
K
@Amstel - yeah, I'm kind of ambivalent about it. It was cool once I realized what was going on, though. As is, a lot of information gets kind of lost in the UI, and a bunch of items seem to have hidden/under-explained rules/effects. I suspect as the UI improves this will be less of an issue.

In terms of how a player would "know" - there is a point where you get to make a choice about that. It's clear when you're making the choice what's going on, but not beforehand. I think the waters are definitely muddied a bit since you start getting "True Soul" tagged conversation options before that choice.

stranger
stranger
you have to have the mark of the absolute, you get it by following one of the main plot lines

stranger
stranger
also I agree a Tool tip to explain this when equipped would be handy, probs will come in at some point

Link Copied to Clipboard