Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 41 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 40 41
For me it is confusing, that you can attack with off hand separately, when you got two weapon fighting, it feels like as if it could be done automatically.

Same with Jump at exploration mode, that could be automatic as well. So no jumping one by one.

Last edited by Minsc1122; 10/10/20 12:09 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Minsc1122
For me it is confusing, that you can attack with off hand separately, when you got two weapon fighting, it feels like as if it could be done automatically.

It's done that way because attacking with the offhand weapon is a bonus action.

I'm really glad to see that Fog of War has been suggested a few times, as that may help substantially with performance. Right now my FPS suffers the most on the bigger maps outside.

Last edited by SirMoogle; 10/10/20 12:12 AM.
Originally Posted by SirMoogle

Could be, that the book says that, but still it is something that they could build in their own two weapon fighting system. It feels like, that I have to click too many times to attack, especially that most of them are miss with off hand.

Last edited by Minsc1122; 10/10/20 12:15 AM.
- track the relative difficulty of quests in the Journal (relative to player level), so players won't keep running into encounters which they aren't meant to be doing yet.
For example, Lae'Zel wants to find her fellow Githyanki. But once you get there, a fight starts. If you're not Level 4 yet at that point, you are very likely to die.
This happens with a lot of quests that are simply too high level but easily reachable by the player anyway.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Same with Jump at exploration mode, that could be automatic as well. So no jumping one by one.

I would differ somewhat here, scouting is the most important part of exploration, but I would prefer if the rest of the group would follow on their own without having to individually manage them.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by SirMoogle

Could be, that the book says that, but still it is something that they could build in their own two weapon fighting system. It feels like, that I have to click too many times to attack, especially that most of them are miss with off hand.

Making them one attack would be a nerf because when they are separated you have the option of attacking two different targets.

Originally Posted by DistantStranger

I would differ somewhat here, scouting is the most important part of exploration, but I would prefer if the rest of the group would follow on their own without having to individually manage them.

I felt like a button, that tries to makes an auto jump to somewhere in exploration mode to a visible area, would make the jump/movement more fluid and natural, but you got a point.

Last edited by Minsc1122; 10/10/20 01:17 AM.
S
stranger
stranger
S
Being able to resurect NPCs in a fight or after a fight would be a good idea. I found it sad that I couldn't resurect some of them when the opportunity arised especially since they can survive the fight. Also giving them death saves could be nice, but not entirly necessary

enthusiast
enthusiast
I'm not for sure wether to bug this or if it's feedback, or suggestion. Hotbars are a hot mess at 1280x 1024 screen setting. As your hotbar grows it forces itself out of side of screen. Trying to readjust and place things in the order you want by increasing there size and and decreasing is an effort in futility. As a very anal person when it comes to hotbars and inventory thats irks me to no end. The size that seems to work for this screen size on my lap top is 14 with 7 slots on top and 7 on bottom. I'm going to say if you have a set number of hot bar slots per page it may fix this issue. Keeping everything in each slot per page. Or if you I can't believe I'm saying this Do like Wow and have hotbars in certain positions. Sorry I'm an infidel. maybe a way to create your own hotbars. (if it's there I'm not seeing it) It drives me mad having not having all my spells together, my potions together, etc. Please I'm crazy enough. If anyone has seen a way to create own hotbar please send me message vie forum mail.

Okay, almost sane. no wait thats a bug.

L
stranger
stranger
L
For the love of god can we get the variant humans before the other races? The ordinary humans just feel lazy and every other race seems to have sub-races already.

Also +1 to everything else, especially environmental effects on cantrips. Either that or every refund should come with the joints they're smoking.

journeyman
journeyman
Great list! Thanks for compiling it. Many of the issues I have, are listed already.

Some other issues I have:

- The ability to disengage as a bonus action for everyone. This removes some of the identity of the agile classes (Rogue/Monk).
- Shove as a bonus action: Larian has done a good job making maps where shove can be utilized to great effect. But giving us shove as a bonus action lowers the tactical choices you have. Instead of weighing the option between attacking or shoving someone down a cliff, you just do both. (Feats like Shield Master also becomes pretty useless if everyone can bonus action shove). Shove is more than strong enough as an action when you have places to shove people down.
- The help action gives a downed character 1 hp right away. Why not follow the 5e rules instead? Use a medicine check to stabilize the character and they wake up 1d4 hours later. In a videogame you could translate that to after combat is over. Letting the help action heal someone right away, lowers the importance of magical healing in D&D. It might be the old grognard in me, but I think you should panic when your cleric goes down.
- The control system. Controlling the party feels utterly clunky especially when there are traps, environmental effects or enemies close by. I am hoping for a more precise, classical system. The current system seems like it is made for a controller, not mouse and keyboard. Hopefully we can get an option at least.
- Too many magic items at low level. They do not feel special at all.
- I know this last one has been mentioned by others, but I feel the need to repeat it. The environmental effects from many spells are weird, unbalancing and unnecessary. I know Larian is fond of cluttering the ground with damaging areas, but it feels out of place in D&D. And you already have spells that create such effects (Cloudkill, Fireball etc) at higher levels. If Larian wants to emulate the TTRPG experience, I don't think small puddles of acid should burn through my boots and nearly kill me (especially if that small puddle is made by arrows or a cantrip), that feels more videogamey to me.

veteran
veteran
A minor thing, but the first investigation check on the "Nursery", if you pass it, perhaps it should put more emphasis on "volatile" and make it clearer "hey, touch this and it will explode". Right now, it doesn't seem as clear as it could be what the succesful check is attempting to tell you.

L
stranger
stranger
L
I'd like to add one point that also bothered me.

Why on earth are attributes capped at 17? usually they're 18, or 19 for that +3 bonus.
There's enough of an investment into them to justify the point spend, feels like a poor attempt to prevent min-maxing. But instead of having different kinds of optimal builds, there's simply one kind of optimal build available. In baldurs gate 1, you can go up to 19 str with a half-orc. Increase the attribute limit I say.

Also +1 to the shove not being a bonus action. The game is rediculous since every turn you're pretty much shoving the enemy whenever possible for tactical advantages, which every turn after hitting them anyway.

addict
addict
Lol. Oh Vometia you speedy angel. I just wish I had noticed this post before spending 14 hours going through 841 threads in an attempt to compile a list just like this. Well shame on me for not paying attention smile

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Luckbealady
I'd like to add one point that also bothered me.

Why on earth are attributes capped at 17? usually they're 18, or 19 for that +3 bonus.

This is 5e.

Currently, the system being used is Point Buy, which has a cap on 15 in an attribute. You can get up to +2 from a racial bonus, hence, 17.

However, there isn't really any point in having an odd value in an attribute, unless you plan to take a feat which adds +1 to it, so it might be better to reduce that to 16 and spend those saved points somewhere else.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by malks
Originally Posted by Isaac Springsong

16. Adjust Combat Ranges - Right now the game heavily, *heavily* favors Ranged combat. Fixing the free Disengage/Jump as a Bonus Action into requiring your Action would help this a lot, but just in general it is really hard to get into melee combat given how far away most fights start taking place, especially fights that are automatically triggered rather than by the enemy seeing you.

Agreed to almost everything.

Just a note on your point 16, I think that removing the jump/disengage will actually make it harder for mellee to get into fights.
Even so, I am in favor of separating those two actions.

Another note on the same topic... How do you propose they adjust combat range?
Because, unless most hostile enemies wait patiently for you to walk to their side, or you're always full on sneaking with a rogue, people will always call you out and get ready to fight from as far as they can communicate.

It will potentially make it harder to get into melee, but once they are there, it would make it significantly harder for enemies to leave melee. Which gives incentives for melee characters to Dash into combat to then become 'sticky' and prevent enemies from moving away.

You adjust combat range by adjusting maps and enemy positions. Larian loves open maps. There are almost no fights in BG 3 that are in tight dungeon corridors, close in ambushes in jungle terrain, etc. Even house have ludicrous dimensions so it takes 2 full Dash turns just to get across them.

N
stranger
stranger
N
EA need a CHA based class added there is all but CHA one why

enthusiast
enthusiast
1. Rogues Should Have Expertise - Again, I really don't understand why this wasn't added. It's a huge part of their class.

veteran
veteran
Great list!

If I had to pick just one thing it would be more camera options.

The high angle iso style tilt and tight zoom maybe looks more cinematic but isn't giving the full party control vibe I'm after in Baldur's Gate. I'd like to pull way off, god-mode style. The current default max zoom reminds me of like going back and playing BG1 after BG2 came out, just too zoomed in. I always find myself wanting to pull back as far as possible to see more of the environment. Either that or I want to be more in the drivers seat for the run and gun with the full tilt, including up hehe.

Best Elk

journeyman
journeyman
For hit chance, perhaps have it show a die value to hit instead of percentage? This would be more in line with the way combat is managed in PnP where players determine the difficulty to hit based on what hit and what did not (by observing each others rolls). Great thread BtW

Page 10 of 41 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 40 41

Link Copied to Clipboard