Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
You know, with the whole 3D-ish system and camera panning?

IMV it gets quite frustrating, especially when an enemy is high up on another level and you must pan the camera around until you can see them. Sometimes the camera doesn't "get" you want to look high up, or you don't want to look high up, or inside a building... The enemies on rooftops in the Blighted Village is an example.

Would you have preferred the game to have been FPS/third person like Skyrim?

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Sarcastic Gamer

Hell no.

I haven’t had a problem with this. Mouse wheel scrolling up and down has worked fine for me.

D
D
I love it. It is a little frustrating trying to work with the elevation levels at times, but I'd much prefer to deal with that frustration and have the game designed as it is.

stranger
stranger
good for the most part.
the scroll bar is too narrow tho.

H
veteran
veteran
It´s functional. Lots of info, quickslots and icons in a very short space.

Last edited by _Vic_; 10/10/20 02:00 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
There is a tactical top down view that helps with elevation issues. I think the hotkey is o

Camera needs work, it's functional but not great. It sometimes ends up sliding under / behind scenery or getting stuck on high objects during combat. In one fight the camera just got stuck in a tree and I couldn't move it around at all and so I had to reload. Follow cam stops following for some reason and I constantly have to hit F (I rebound the home key to F) to get it back on track.

Spells need their own hotbar that pops up when you hover over it or something.. Mixing everything together is just chaos and I'm constantly having to rearrange my inventory.

I dont' think inventory needs to be completely individualized. Unless they are going to change it so that going into inventory costs an action there's no reason to not just have one big main group inventory. Use the belt system like BG1 and 2 did where you put a certain amount of items in your quick slot and then draw from there. Also makes it annoying if one of your camp characters is carrying something and you have to go back to camp, switch out the character with a silly dialogue option, grab the one item you want and then use another dialogue option to switch back your companions.

Last edited by vyvexthorne; 10/10/20 04:49 AM.
veteran
veteran
I agree that camera need work especially due to the verticality.
We have to be able to choose which level we want to see or something because it's actually very chaotic is some places.
In other places, you just can't see everything if it's too high and the readability of the maps is really unclear.

About the spell bar and so on... I really don't like them.
They need to sort it and/or create menu, a little bit "like" in Poe or something else but everything on the same bar is a mess.
It's boring and you have to manage your bar more than your équipement...

The minimap is absolutely unclear. Sometimes you're in the path, sometimes you're out... It's absolutely unreadable and you can't understand anything on it. They have to add markers for entrance, exit, merchants, ... And they have to find something so that markers deal with verticality.
The "menu" all arround the minimap is awfull. There are too many things arround it. Let it breath.
The menu that are down (spells, character sheet, inventory,...) need their own menu or their own button to appear somewhere else.
This is not filters or something... These are the most important menu of the game.

Not sure it's placeholder or not but the containers UI is awfull.
It's the exact same than is DoS and I hate it. Please, change it. I'm sure you're able to create a real and whole NEW IP.

I don't really like inventory and equipement menu but I think it's still on work. Sort option in the inventory is absolutely needed.

I'd really like them to give us real beautifull portrait for characters because they're just basics and not beautifull. I can't even recognize my custom character. That's a human and his portrait looks like Gale's one. Custom portrait is a + for everyone.

I think that's it about UI.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
F
stranger
stranger
F
Right now I really don't like it.

When I want to check some skills or spells, 9 times out of ten it is for a specific character. As it stands I end up with not enough informations about the character I care about and 75% of the screen showing me useless content. The side effect is that every information has to be in a vertical column, so you always have to scroll to get to the section you want (and right now, as I'm not familiar with the fifth edition, the absence of tooltips or details is really hurting my understanding of the game but I guess they'll come later). With a fullscreen for each character, the character sheet could show the portrait (that I reaaaally miss), stats, skills and feats and have a zone where you show detailed informations about what you click or mouse over.

The individual inventory is simply nonsense, derives from multi-player and I hate it. Every time I want to swap party members (which happen a lot with only 4 slots in party) I have to manually move each and every item I want to carry over, it takes forever to search for a specific item and so on. It's nice having this design ready for the multi-player part, but don't hamper user comfort for what is supposed to be a single player experience first (if it designed for multi-player, I'd like to get my refund by the way, this isn't the game I bought). The only upside of individual inventory is to manage weight, but it's actually a non-existant gameplay issue. When you share inventory and take weight into account, you assume characters will swap items to accomodate for their respective carrying limitations, and the process is invisible and painless. With individual inventory, you simply put the burden of figuring out how to distribute items to the player, which is about basic maths and adds nothing gameplay-wise, and you just waste playtime.
The combat system seems okay so far, I feel like I can browse my options in a reasonable way but I also feel like I'm taking a lot of unnecessary steps to arrive at that result. Can't really pinpoint why right now, I'll try to pinpoint them later.

stranger
stranger
love the UI.

apprentice
apprentice
the stat/ability/proficiency menu is simply not useful. cluttered, and completely uninformative. I don't want to click 10 times on all subheaders to find out if a character is proficient in martial weapons e.g. Please fix that!

N
old hand
old hand
N
So far so good. My main complain would be with the combat log. It doesn't seem to scroll at the end and it takes ages to bring it back to the bottom.

veteran
Online Content
veteran
The UI definitely needs work. Dealing with inventory is a pain and it's immediately obvious that all the inventory issues arise from the multiplayer aspect of the game. Finding a way to streamline things for single player would be so helpful.

old hand
old hand
I dont like the default settings sticking every potion and scroll you pickup onto it.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Nyanko
So far so good. My main complain would be with the combat log. It doesn't seem to scroll at the end and it takes ages to bring it back to the bottom.

I just wanted to post about this, then searched this thread for "combat log" and found this.

A million times THIS. The combat log should scroll automatically to the newest entry, which luckily has been pretty mandatory for any game that has one so far.

Additionally, the bonus points from attributes should be shown next to the attributes, like in Pathfinder: https://static.hub.game/i/post/5801/content/372fec41626718be.jpg

The camera isn't strictly UI related, but it would be nice to have an automatic camera of some kind if possible (with the option to adjust and jiggle with that manually). It's ironic in a sense that whilst with full 3d you have gained much more control over what is viewable to the human eye, twenty years old games still play out less "fiddly"; as their camera isn't a sort of character itself to take care of / control.

Also, there's already a separate thread about it, but the chain-linking of controlling characters remains inferior to the Infinity Engine style also.

Last edited by Sven_; 10/10/20 12:55 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
The UI definitely needs work. Dealing with inventory is a pain and it's immediately obvious that all the inventory issues arise from the multiplayer aspect of the game. Finding a way to streamline things for single player would be so helpful.

This 1000x this.The MMO flashbacks are real with the cluttered action bar.

N
journeyman
journeyman
N
The prepared spells UI is confusing. I know the 5e rules and was still perplexed.

I think they need a different UI for for preparing spells and available spell b/c the upcast spells make it confusing on one screen.

Also, on my screen it's difficult to differentiate between the selected and unselected spells... which just made it worse.

journeyman
journeyman
It all needs work.

But if I had to pick one thing other than the camera, it would be that you should be able to interact with equipped items on the same screen as the inventory.

P
P
Originally Posted by Sarcastic Gamer
You know, with the whole 3D-ish system and camera panning?

IMV it gets quite frustrating, especially when an enemy is high up on another level and you must pan the camera around until you can see them. Sometimes the camera doesn't "get" you want to look high up, or you don't want to look high up, or inside a building... The enemies on rooftops in the Blighted Village is an example.

I think this approach is awesome — it just needs a polish.

One thing that helps immensely: you can click on an enemy to focus the camera on them, and then you can target them. This isn't obvious.

enthusiast
enthusiast
The UI is good for start, just still needs work: different sizes (I want mine be 50% smaller, I'm on 4K and still is too big) for example, or resizing different elements.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard