Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Version: 4.1.83.6620
i7 4770K at 3.50 GHz
16 GB RAM
GTX 980 Ti, drivers 456.55
Windows 7 x64

Since the first EA release, when I start the game from the launcher (either GOG or directly with LariLauncher.exe from the Launch Baldur's Gate 3.lnk),
- in DX11: I have a black screen, no mouse cursor, no sound. I waited for a long time to be sure, but nothing is happening and I have to kill the process to get back the control on Windows
- in Vulkan: it depends, usually black screen but with waiting mouse cursor, no sound. Or crash to desktop.

I tried to find relevant logs but not sure what would help.

@support: could you please give at least some feedback to say you have seen the problem, and to tell us which logs could help you pinpoint the problem?
There's a long thread on that already, but without any sign from you I have to assume you haven't seen it yet, so I've created a new one.

A work-around that works sometimes (1 out of 5-10) is to launch bg3_dx11.exe as admin, maintaining the shift key. I don't see why the user should have to do that for a process which is not supposed to be elevated.

For information to other users, the game is supposed to start immediately with a splash screen and Larian's logo. The mouse cursor is a hand. If you don't see that, no need to wait.

Last edited by Redglyph; 10/10/20 10:38 AM.
F
journeyman
journeyman
F
No need to mess with compatibility or checking admin in exe files.

Simply hold Shift at launch (working both with launcher and direct exe) until game display normally.

About Larian taking into account this issue, since there is a workaround I don't see them add a support for a now "officially unsupported" OS, but since it represent about 13% of users (me included), it may happens eventually. wink

OP Offline
Ah, so the "as admin" is not mandatory? Good to know, thanks smile

Do you think it's only Win7 users who have this problem? I was starting to suspect something like that. I have seen reports from people using Windows 10 though, but their cases may be due to drivers so it's hard to tell.

D
stranger
stranger
D
The problem exists for Windows 10 as well as I have the problem. Working on it so far I have found as others have that holding the left shift down while running play on the dx11 while having crossfire off will load the game but gives me horizontal tears across the screen. Drivers as far as all I can find and dxdiag reports are current. If crossfire is enabled the game crashes. I have not found anything in logs detailing any reason for the crash, regardless the issue isn't limited to Win7.

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 19041) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DirectX Database Version: 1.0.8
DxDiag Version: 10.00.19041.0546 64bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.

- Card name: AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x6719)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Type: Full Device (POST)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6719&SUBSYS_20101787&REV_00
Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER]
Device Problem Code: No Problem
Display Memory: 7904 MB
Dedicated Memory: 4064 MB
Shared Memory: 3840 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

OP Offline
Perhaps it's something that happens on "pro" versions of Windows.

I'm not sure about shift only being sufficient either. I have tried more than 10 times in a row and couldn't start the game.

With "as admin" + shift, it was fine after 4 attempts.

And still no feedback from Larian on the issue since the EA release (but hey, now it's the weekend), they'd like us to help with an EA - at full cost, but provide no indication of what log would help, nor do they tag the posts they have already seen. That's not how I organize a beta test, leaving the customers in the dark, sorry.

Last edited by Redglyph; 11/10/20 03:09 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard