Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
journeyman
journeyman
Well for pure number crunching, in point buy the human is king. In this game you can have 3 16s only as a human. So best con, best dex and best main stat (I can not make an 18 at start no matter what I do). I still never play them, but that *may* have a bit to do with them being so popular.

Normally I would be playing a halfling, but every since D&D moved them closer to hobbits again I hate the pudgy with big head look of them (males). The gnome I met in game looked pretty cool, bit fat hands but build was good, maybe in this game I will play a gnome when they get added. So far I have made Tiefling Wizard and Warlock, Half Elf Ranger, Gith Fighter and an Elf Rogue.

veteran
veteran
Firstly I feel like people are taking Larian's tone a bit too seriously; I think they're just trying to tease us and have a little joke.

Originally Posted by golw
I am happy to hear that people prefer grounded characters. Nothing is special and unique when everything is special and unique, this is the great failing of Pathfinder, most MMO's and the growing direction of D&D. I have to be honest, the tremendous number of Tieflings in that starter town doesn't bother me, but the fact that they are just plain humans who look different does. I found that to be pretty uninteresting.

Any time you write a character, you need to ask why it can't be a human. If you can't justify it, you're making the special race you chose less interesting as a whole.

Fantasy works best when the consumer's perspective is given some normalcy to explore an abnormal world. When the consumer, be it reader, viewer, or player is already the most special and unique thing about the setting, there's nothing terribly interesting left to tell as far as a story goes. That's why grounded protagonists are better, and why you're going to see more grounded characters.

Now as to this point, I think that you're being way too narrow-minded in your approach. Firstly they're tieflings because an incident in the town they come from made people stop trusting them, because their town got dragged literally into hell after it was sold to a demon. So no, they can't be human. Secondly, human shouldn't just be the default in fantasy. Because one of the most fun things you can do in fantasy is explore a world where humanity isn't the default. If you start creating every character by asking "why isn't this person human?" then you're starting from a flawed premise. If what you described is what you like in fantasy, I hope you find plenty of stuff to enjoy. But if things getting more fantastical is the growing trend, then that's probably because it's what most people want. I for instance never play human characters if I have the option not to, because I don't want to be the default. I don't even play elves or dwarves most of the time because they're still the "default" fantastical races.

apprentice
apprentice
Listen, I'm sure that it has nothing to do with statistical values or that the other races are not interesting enough. My theory is, that most people want to project themselves into the fantasy world, and they do that by modelling their character after something, that resembles them, or whatever they feel is "them", the most. In my eyes, a game like baldurs gate III, offers you a foreign world to explore, and for most people, they can gain the best understanding by beginning this exploration from a familiar perspective, namely their own.
I believe, that when the initial process of exploration is done and the interest in this world still remains high, that other races and perspectives start to get activated, and then we may see more variation in the algorithm.

I cannot change this name anymore, please send help.
The avatar is created by an AI called midjourney, and it is done so by essentially typing text, pretty dope, huh?
C
C
Almost like people want to make DnD characters and not stupid monstrosities.

Also why are patch things not in the actual FEEDBACK forum? lol

W
stranger
stranger
W
Dear Jess,

We may be Vault Dwellers, but the companions so far aren't cut too far from the same cloth.
They're just a bunch of pretty boys and elves. Give us someone like Zevlor or another Beast as part of the flagship team,
because I don't see half the races used on the cover art.

Consider that of the FIVE followers we have there's only THREE different races used of the EIGHT available.
And no, I'm not counting High Half-Elf and High-Elf as two different races for this. We don't need 20 different characters to choose from
but someone that isn't pulled out of a Vogue or Glamour would be a nice change of pace

Can you share if we be getting any more companions to chose from once it's out of Early Access? I would kill for that Dwarf Romance that Dragon blue balled us with.
I hadn't heard anything on it, and there's plenty of characters we've met that could be potential followers. I have high hopes for what Larian could bring to the series
and I'm trying not to be too critical, but if you're gonna call us out for being basic I'd like to see some show-and-tell where you're all getting creative with this creator.

Respectfully,
A local adventurer

apprentice
apprentice
Edit: The post that this was responding to has been deleted.

Lmao, keep your buttcheeks together, it was a simple jest that he was poking us with, and there is absolutely no reason to get mad over it. The only thing that you are doing is making the dev studio regret to say anything else that isn't 100% neutered and automated corporate advertisement, and that's not ok with me, because I get a joke, and I enjoy having a studio engaging in banter with us, I think it's great! If you curb your outrage, maybe you'll get it too.

Last edited by Ben Thunder; 12/10/20 12:59 PM.

I cannot change this name anymore, please send help.
The avatar is created by an AI called midjourney, and it is done so by essentially typing text, pretty dope, huh?
T
stranger
stranger
T
Wouldn't call it outrage. If it were, I'd be asking for my money back right now, like a self-righteous boycotter. I'd call it telling him personally to shove off combined with constructive criticism. The joke was in very poor taste. While even I understood it was a joke, it could have been put in a much better way that would have put the onus of the problem on the studio, rather than blaming their customers for doing what they want to do in a system designed for exactly that. Especially when such a joke, combined with the picture, comes close to implications that spark very contentious accusations.

If the studio should be allowed to be informal and joke around with us (and they should, imo), they should be prepared for equally informal roastings of how their jokes fall flat, push boundaries, and their systems are the cause of the very problem they bring up.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Telstar
Wouldn't call it outrage

Right, you're totally calm and reasonable, and not at all acting like a child with a soiled diape-

"Are you f'ing serious? "
"You've got spyware monitoring us and your reaction to us enjoying the game the way we want to is... we're not freaky enough for you?"
"Maybe on a second or third playthrough I'll do some more wild stuff and play an evil midget serial killer with unusual body accessories, one which might merit your divine approval."
"Perhaps, instead of lamenting the lack of diversity in your customers' playstyle, you should lay off the brain-damaging substances"
"TLDR: F-off, Jess_Larian"

Oh yes, no outrage there. My bad.

P.S. If you read the EULA on the Store page, you would have noticed this part:

13. USER GAMEPLAY INFORMATION
The term “User Gameplay Information” means any information relating to your play or use of the Game, including of your gameplay statistics, preferred strategies and in-game choices, history of technical issues and support usage.
You acknowledge and agree that Larian Studios may collect, store and share User Gameplay Information collected from you, both as an individual and aggregated with the User Gameplay Information of other users of the Game. User Gameplay Information will be made anonymous. In addition, you acknowledge and agree that Larian Studios may analyze and use such User Gameplay Information for the purposes of review, research, development, maintenance, operation, administration, and support, and for the marketing of Larian Studios products and services.

Support
Support

It was just trying to encourage people to try something different. You are more than welcome to play a human if you wish, but if you are merely picking human by default, maybe consider trying a different race.

By trying different characters and playstyles, that also makes it less likely to get burnt out by major updates that break save compatibility, and more likely to want to replay the start of the game again with the full release.

J
stranger
stranger
J
Has Any one been able to play multiplayer on Baldur's Gate? We both are on STEAM but one MAC one PC. It keeps saying we dont have the same version. Help if you know how to get this to work. Thanks!

T
stranger
stranger
T
Rather than take us to task for not using the options you provided, it might be more productive to learn what options your users prefer and then use that to guide your game's development. Spending tons of time to create something that appeals to 5% of your users seems dubious. Virtue signalling notwithstanding of course.

Personally I'm hoping you introduce more companions later on. Right now I won't have Astarion or Lae'zel in my party unless absolutely forced.

V
stranger
stranger
V
Originally Posted by Jess_Larian

Before the fixes, let’s share something you’ve created yourselves (this is your own fault) through your choices in character creation. We took the most popular choices in character creation, and recreated this. We thought our analytics system wasn’t working! We checked. It is.

Congratulations, you’ve basically made the default Vault Dweller. What the hell guys. We gave you demon eyes, horns, and even tails. We are sorely disappointed. Go crazy. We worked hard on this!

That criticism comes off as really arrogant and holier than thou. I'm glad you accurately titled your post as the death of hubris. I hope that issue of devs ripping on their players goes away quickly.

Maybe people make racial choices for gameplay reasons. You know... Like in a D&D game... So, if their desire is to play a human fighter because of stats instead of a halfling fighter that won't have the same advantages, let them. It's their game too!

Other people like to put themselves in the game, so if they don't have demon eyes, horns, and a tail on their human, let them make the choice instead of bitching at their choices. Let them make their human bald and fat it they want to. It's their character!

I happen to really like the character creator you made. I like the game a lot too, even with the bugs associated with paid open beta. I refuse to call it early access. That's just marketing.

I think Larian has done a pretty good job of making a true to D&D game. It's gotten a lot of support for that from fans. There's a reason WotC choose the makes of DOS to make this game. Please don't screw it up after such great successes.

stranger
stranger
*snicker*

When in doubt, read the instructions.
stranger
stranger
My damn game is stuck at 92% "applying patches" for the last 2 hrs when there is no more to DL the "patch" was ONLY 523MB so WTF?

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Varden
Originally Posted by Jess_Larian

Before the fixes, let’s share something you’ve created yourselves (this is your own fault) through your choices in character creation. We took the most popular choices in character creation, and recreated this. We thought our analytics system wasn’t working! We checked. It is.

Congratulations, you’ve basically made the default Vault Dweller. What the hell guys. We gave you demon eyes, horns, and even tails. We are sorely disappointed. Go crazy. We worked hard on this!

That criticism comes off as really arrogant and holier than thou. I'm glad you accurately titled your post as the death of hubris. I hope that issue of devs ripping on their players goes away quickly.

Maybe people make racial choices for gameplay reasons. You know... Like in a D&D game... So, if their desire is to play a human fighter because of stats instead of a halfling fighter that won't have the same advantages, let them. It's their game too!

Other people like to put themselves in the game, so if they don't have demon eyes, horns, and a tail on their human, let them make the choice instead of bitching at their choices. Let them make their human bald and fat it they want to. It's their character!

I happen to really like the character creator you made. I like the game a lot too, even with the bugs associated with paid open beta. I refuse to call it early access. That's just marketing.

I think Larian has done a pretty good job of making a true to D&D game. It's gotten a lot of support for that from fans. There's a reason WotC choose the makes of DOS to make this game. Please don't screw it up after such great successes.

THe only issue here here you taking what was clearly a joke seriously. Stop.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Raze

It was just trying to encourage people to try something different. You are more than welcome to play a human if you wish, but if you are merely picking human by default, maybe consider trying a different race.

By trying different characters and playstyles, that also makes it less likely to get burnt out by major updates that break save compatibility, and more likely to want to replay the start of the game again with the full release.

The voice of reason.

I
stranger
stranger
I
Bug: Puzzle below the goblin city has moon images overlapping. Cannot tell current state of moon images.

journeyman
journeyman
Meh, my default PC is any race/class with immunity or high resistance to charm/sleep (one of the most annoying attacks), dark vision (I hate torches) and high perception (I hate missing things). Especially when I start to do solo runs. If that makes me boring, I'm cool with that.

Joe

C
stranger
stranger
C
Even in fantasy settings, people like to make caracters that resemble themselves. Most people want something akin to "period photos". I'd love to see the "Your Face" tech implemented. I don't think I've seen it in a mainstream game since Madden back in 2011. You put in 3 pictures of your face and it transposes a pretty darn good likeness onto a created player. Or you could use the Kinect to view your face from all angles, but they came out pretty much the same. Heh, my face on a Tiefling or Halfling would be mad cool.

I can't stand what a big deal a bunch of decent size Youtube channels took the statement and ran with it, essentially accusing Lariam of being racist against White Men. Kinda irked me, as they obviously meant it as "Wow, you could be an long faced pointy eared acrobat, a winged shortbow-weilding red skinned glowing eyed Gnoll masher or short bearded pickpocket, and you picked...you! C'mon folks, work with us _wink wink._ " I can't see them meaning any malicious intent, but this is current year, so we've got to be outraged by something, right? Good grief.

I will admit though, when I first saw the pic I thought of Henry from "kingdon Come: Deliverance". Not really surprising, as like I said, people like to play themselves doing fantastic things. Heck, I want that "Your Face" tech added. I don't think I'd put them on a default human Fighter or Cleric though. Barbarian or Wizard, _I guess,_ but it'd be way cooler on a halfling Ranger or Assassin/Arcane Trickster combo. Or Barbarian. Halfling barbarians are always fun. Especially when they dual class to Cleric, have a pet Goose named "Honk" and is often heard screaming "You killed my Goose" on the battlefield as they fly into a rage....What, you've never played one of those? The neighbors can get really frustrated when they're trying to sleep upstairs during your PnP session.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard