Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#682693 09/10/20 03:15 AM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I have been playing EA for a little over 17 hours. I have encountered bugs, FPS drops, and many of the same issues others are running into. All of which I have reported and sent an accompanying screenshot. After scrolling through the forums for a little while, I see that there are plenty of posts that cover a wide variety of issues, ranging from technical to mechanical and everything in-between. I find myself agreeing with some, and disagreeing with others.

What I would like to see a running list of what the community's FAVORITE parts of BG3. If any aspect of the game-play or mechanics really stand out to you, post it here! (Lets try to keep the debating to a minimum; as there are plenty of threads that cover disagreements)

I'll start!

What stands out the most to me, and what I really love, is that skills, abilities, and spells have IMPACT. Aside from the occasional visual hiccup, your arrows feel like they are striking your foes. Your backstabs jab fiercely into an occupied enemy. And the spells FEEL powerful.

stranger
stranger
I'm really invested into the story - like its proper sucked me in, full immersion and it makes me feel things.

When it comes to these games I'm generally a hack and slash all the way through, but some of the encounters FEEL dangerous and make me want to think of another way through them or avoid them all together.

There is urgency around the tadpoles in the head and being able to "give into the power" is something that made me curious, I've been trying to use it as much as possible just to see if it does anything.

Really impressed with what I've seen so far

S
stranger
stranger
S
Went into the Underdark through some temple looking thing, got jumped by minotaur's.
10/10 would spelunk again

Still sane exile?
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I completely agree. And there are some areas that really do FEEL dangerous. It's incredible

addict
addict
Probably the spell effects.
I primarily play casters in any game that I can and I never really feel powerful no matter how flashy they are. It's like there's no weight to them, just a bunch of particles and sparkle.
In BG3, even something as simple as a bread-and-butter Eldritch Blast looks immensely powerful, especially when coupled with the skills that add damage and knockback to the spell.
My favorite spells are the ones
that are granted by our brain worms
because they look absolutely stellar with that sinister red and smoky black contrast.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

W
veteran
veteran
W
The companions. They have blown me away. Usually in any RPG when I have the option to make my own party I always end up choosing that over NPCs, even on a first playthrough. There are a few games that are an exception (BG1/2), and BG3 will be one of them.

stranger
stranger
3 things that stand out,

1- Diversity how to approach the fights.
2- Terrain, how to use the environment in fights (although I've would like to see it tuned up abit with things you can hit during fights. like Tree's, Statues, Rocks and so on.
3- Boss Fights.. i really enjoyed the Hag fight.

Now 3 things i didn't like.

1- Camp fire.. just didn't like it.
2- Rogue.. it was boring and simple.. noting special about it.
3- Hit chance. O my god the number of times i had to reload because i didn't hit a thing for 3 turns in a row even with 90% hit chance.

1 side note..
i would love to see more spell integrations like water and fire creating smoke didn't see that much here.

but for now.. Great game.

R
stranger
stranger
R
Best parts about BG3 I guess would be that it´s full of hints and riddles that you get no answers to...
Worst part, I got a really tacky video after boarding a raft at level 2 about me reaching the end of early access by Sven, wich then kicked me back to the main menu...

addict
addict
Immersive as heck,exploration, combat everything this game is going to be a masterpiece - I see the feedback & bug reports Larian will listen to a lot - if this is ea the journey will be fantastic.

stranger
stranger
my favorite moment is the 3 fishermen who where mindcontrolled by a flayer.

you know the one that one reviewer bashed as a terrible ecnounter where he was "forced to kill civillians'..
i failed my persuasion checks, and entered combat.

beat it in one move by rushing to murder the Flayer lol, saved the 3 fishermen

H
stranger
stranger
Definitely the companions. They interact with each other way more often than I expected for EA.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Hypertion

you know the one that one reviewer bashed as a terrible ecnounter where he was "forced to kill civillians'..

Lol yeah I saw that to. I failed my checks, but luckily Larian added this wonderful button that says 'knock unconscious.' I didn't even think to
smack tentacle face right out of the gate
This brings me to another thing I love.

There is always more than one way to overcome an encounter. I have played through EA 3 times; and every single time, I try to overcome a challenge differently. Even something as simple as coming to the encounter from a different cardinal direction can completely change the outcome.

journeyman
journeyman

Yeah I did the same thing but didn't need to rush just shot it with a bow and poof encounter finished lol.

To be fair the reviewer may have just been on auto pilot and think it is an cRPG the only "options" I have are in dialogue. In many a game previously that
mindflayer
would have been untargetable. So you have to be willing to try things in combat you might not otherwise do in a "normal" cRPG. I know many games make an easy solution impossible because they don't want you to "bypass" the encounter. Kingmaker was terrible that way with designing terrain so it was impossible to sneak up behind casters because there was always impassible terrain stopping your flanking maneuver even if that impassible terrain was a box that was knee high to a halfling. nope still couldn't set over it. Kingmaker always felt like the combat was designed by a level designer not a situation that happen naturally. hated that game.

My favourite part of that encounter with the
fishermen was when they ran off afraid of you lol.
That added touch made the encounter perfect.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Draekore

Lol yeah I saw that to. I failed my checks, but luckily Larian added this wonderful button that says 'knock unconscious.' I didn't even think to
smack tentacle face right out of the gate
This brings me to another thing I love.

There is always more than one way to overcome an encounter. I have played through EA 3 times; and every single time, I try to overcome a challenge differently. Even something as simple as coming to the encounter from a different cardinal direction can completely change the outcome.

That is awesome I did the Hypertion solution but I never even thought of the knock unconscious button and i knew it was there lol.

The opening battle at the
druid grove gate
really chances if you activate the battle from atop of the cliff to the south instead of walking between the high ground. I ironically did it that way the first time in total ignorance of what the encounter was and came from a different direction the next time and didn't realize it was the same location and it was a lot tougher without the high ground. Terrain makes huge differences in the game. One time I did that battle i cast grease and a NON companion NPC cast firebolt on it to ignite it. It was awesome watching the AI know to do so.

F
stranger
stranger
F
The sheer level of depth and detail with character choices and permutations, even in Early Access.

I played a Cleric of Ilmater and found around 3 dialogue options within an hour of playing that weren't just unique to my Cleric, but were unique to my patron god Ilmater, too.

Some of these dialogues were only achieved by following a specific pathway in a quest or dialogue tree as well (usually good outcomes as Ilmater is a 'good' god). The dialogue was fully voiced and the NPCs had unique lines that responded to it.

Considering there are something around 10-15 (!) patron gods in the game right now this is a mind boggling about of possible outcomes. For one class. Whilst the outcome of choosing my [Cleric of Ilmater] dialogue didn't seem to alter much gameplay wise, having this option to interact with the world through my character gave me such a strong sense of identity. I think that's one of the core feelings that makes D&D special, being able to basically astral project yourself into your own character and live within a vivid world full of magic and fantasy. I'm already getting this feeling from early access.

I have to keep reminding myself the game won't be ready for another year or more, and to not get attached to the characters I'm making, so this is a blessing and a burden.

I can't wait to play a druid, and I really hope Larian choose to include more bestial races like Dragonborn! The myriad of races in D&D is one of its biggest strengths for me, as it creates so much opportunity for conflict, identity and interaction. I've seen dragonborn be mentioned in books in the game, and I think Gale mentions one too, so they definitely exist within the world Larian are making. Lizards 2.0!

apprentice
apprentice
I love how almost every encounter in the game has several ways of approaching them and they can also have different outcomes depending on approach and how the actual encounter turned out.

Other than that, I'm loving the combat system so far, character building, exploration, the feel of having an impact on the world, the graphical style and soundtrack, like you (OP) said everything feels like it actually hits (unlike some games where everything feels like air), etc.

And the best part is that this is just the beginning, even act 1 will go through significant changes and having double the amount of classes and specializations later will also make it an entirely different experience and then there will be another 60+% of content added after it.

There are indeed quite a few game breaking issues, but Larian has already fixed quite a few of them in 3 hotfixes and it's only the earliest phase of beta, so considering that I think it's looking like there's a very bright future ahead of us.

old hand
old hand
This is without any doubt my favourite part, and one which many people may not yet have found:

You walk in on her having a bonk bonk. She mad, she phat, but more importantly, she attack!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 10/10/20 11:09 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
This is a weird one maybe but I think some of the eyeball animations are great. The facial animations are sometimes great, sometimes laughably bad and inappropriate, but I've noticed Astarion's and Wyll's eyes dart around when they say certain things in a very realistic way. It's a little thing but I found it impressive.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Tzelanit
Probably the spell effects.
I primarily play casters in any game that I can and I never really feel powerful no matter how flashy they are. It's like there's no weight to them, just a bunch of particles and sparkle.
In BG3, even something as simple as a bread-and-butter Eldritch Blast looks immensely powerful, especially when coupled with the skills that add damage and knockback to the spell.

Yes! The spell animations and sound design are crisp. Landing a bone-crunching Eldritch Blast is so satisfying.

M
M
You know what, I just love to sneak behind enemies & push them off high perches. That NEVER gets old laugh.

On a more serious note, I do love how, even within Act 1, the game can go in so many different directions. For example, I saw a You Tube playthrough where they found a hidden entrance to some ruins-an entrance I totally missed. This led to a totally different series of events playing out. I have had many other situations like that. The sign of a TRUE RPG!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard