Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Emrikol
Originally Posted by Temperance

It definitely doesn't feel like the tabletop version AT ALL. It does feel like DOS though, but a cheap version of DOS where the rules get limited by D&D own ruleset.

Larian should make a choice : this game is either a DOS based game, or a D&D based one. But those two worlds can't merge that well.

I would suggest not derailing your own thread by going in this direction. You made a number of good points in your original post, but comments like this aren’t constructive and can easily become inflammatory.

I'm sorry if I made myself sounding harsh on the game, that's not intended, as I really think there are some really positive things done in it and thus room for improvement (I like how passive checks are handled while exploring, for example). And I'd rather have a turn based combat, which is definitely more "modern".

What I'm trying to highlight is that as for now, if you look over all the posts being made, both DOS fans and D&D fans are disappointed because the game tries too hard to fit all the criterias.
I would rather have a DOS3 with all the mobility and the action points (because it is in my opinion a far better system than D&D in this specific context) or a real D&D based experience, and this means tuning down all the key features that shape DOS identity (surfaces, being able to shape your class to choose between abilities from all classes...)

Last edited by Temperance; 08/10/20 07:38 PM.
veteran
veteran
So basically, you can for example slot 4 fireballs on your level 3 spell list and that's all you'll ever need : for other spells, you'd rather use scroll versions. This way, you'll be able to throw 4 fireballs a day + a huge number of 3rd level spells through scrolls.

In 5e, you only slot Fireball once, and you can cast it as many times as you have third-level or higher slots. You can slot Fireball as well as other third level spells AND additional scrolls.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Emrikol

It definitely doesn't feel like the tabletop version AT ALL. It does feel like DOS though, but a cheap version of DOS where the rules get limited by D&D own ruleset.

Larian should make a choice : this game is either a DOS based game, or a D&D based one. But those two worlds can't merge that well.

I would suggest not derailing your own thread by going in this direction. You made a number of good points in your original post, but comments like this aren’t constructive and can easily become inflammatory.

I'm sorry if I made myself sounding harsh on the game, that's not intended, as I really think there are some really positive things done in it and thus room for improvement (I like how passive checks are handled while exploring, for example). And I'd rather have a turn based combat, which is definitely more "modern".

What I'm trying to highlight is that as for now, if you look over all the posts being made, both DOS fans and D&D fans are disappointed because the game tries too hard to fit all the criterias.
I would rather have a DOS3 with all the mobility and the action points (because it is in my opinion a far better system than D&D in this specific context) or a real D&D based experience, and this means tuning down all the key features that shape DOS identity (surfaces, being able to shape your class to choose between abilities from all classes...)

All good. Like I said, you made good points and I wouldn't want to see the thread go awry (and it easily can). That being said, I think a merge between the two not only can work well, but that it is happening before our eyes. Not 'it has happened' but that it is 'happening', meaning that there is much more for them to do. I am sure by the time of official release, the game will feel more D&D and less DOS. Enough for everyone's tastes? I doubt it, I won't say any more lest I derail the thread myself.

W
veteran
veteran
W
I don’t think any character being able to cast magic off scrolls is a design choice. I think that is a game not being done and tags not being added to scrolls yet issue.

O
stranger
stranger
O
+1

stranger
stranger
Agreed with all the points except the death one. Its a necessary evil in a game where you can't make a new character and where you have a higher density of combat encounters than you'd have in table top. More combat = more opportunities to die. They should be sparing with them though; they should never feel abundant. Maybe using one brings a character back injured or debuffed in some way until certain criteria are met.

Every character being able to use scrolls is just bad design. It completely undermines the distinction between classes. And another thing - there are FAR too many scrolls in the game. I'm tripping over them. I don't think your average D&D game hands out scrolls like candy to your players. As per another poster, having so many undermines the need for having spell slots in the first place. I think scrolls should be rare in general, and the ones you typically find should be those that you wouldn't want to memorize because they're too niche to take up a spell slot.

journeyman
journeyman
Strongly agree with the introduction and most of the points raised! i wish Larian can find a way to implement these changes.
Regarding weapon skills: I agree with the point although I personally am not bothered that much either way.
Regarding backgrounds: I'm just not sure there is enough content to justify a separate tab. It's usually a short paragraph (if you strip away the mechanical implications - that are implemented elsewhere).

I would love if Larian could make the effort to keep the D&D tabletop feeling as much as possible.

Last edited by Alon Binyamin; 12/10/20 12:06 AM.
C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Eh sorcerers will be released in the full game, if not before. I don't know what Dark_Ansem is talking about but he's wrong.

Resurrection scrolls are fine, they're fairly rare and not all new players are expert D&D strategists. You can play onharder difficulty level when game's released, if you so want, and then I am pretty sure you'll come crying if there's no resurrections crolls. Tying them to a class is silly, it makes it mandatory to include that class in your group and if that character dies first you're screwed. Just a very bad idea. A video game will never be the same as a TT and making it as close as an adaption as possible isn't always desirable either.

I agree with the rest of the scrolls being restricted to caster classes.

Last edited by Cantila; 11/10/20 12:23 AM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard