Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
N
Something that is bothering me is that sometimes when the heroes manage to perceive something the thing they perceived (door, trap) is still hard for me to find in some cases. After i roll perception the characters will say "we should look into that" and i end up mousing over stuff trying to find what they mean. Sometimes the roll will happen and they wont even say anything and im left wondering what im missing. It would be better imo if the stuff they perceve like doors, items etc gets highlighted for a second or something. Tell me what you think maybe its just me.

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
I totally agree. It does get highlighted actually, but it's too short of a while, especially if your camera angle is off.

Last edited by Cantila; 10/10/20 03:40 PM.
addict
addict
+1 on this. So many times I went "SO WHERE IS IT?!"

Something I liked with the NWN series is that traps etc stayed highlighted until you clicked it. But maybe people feel that's too immersion breaking.

journeyman
journeyman
I miss the perception checks all the time. Just too quick and my camera angle is never right. Find stuff by shear luck

stranger
stranger
I agree!

The die roll is so small.

I'd even like to see the roll in the middle or top of the screen (same as when you need to roll manually) but have it more transparent so it doesn't cover the field of view.

You walk by and you see a die rolling a perception check, you pass the check, and then the object is highlighted...but only for you unless you tell your party about it or they pass their own perception checks.

F
stranger
stranger
F
They could even put the little die-rolling icon on the edge of the screen, closest to where the character is off-screen. That way it is always on screen AND indicates which way to look to see the character.

stranger
stranger
I agree as well!

journeyman
journeyman
It would be nice if the higher your perception, the bigger the detection radius. And it definitely should highlight/select the found thing.

N
stranger
stranger
N
+1 this is one I think DDO does perfectly

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
Oh yes! This would drive me insane! One of my companions would see something and then I couldn't find the bloody thing they found.

G
journeyman
journeyman
G
Agreed and not just perception checks, all checks out of dialogue are like this. In combat sometimes my character will pass or fail a save but I have no idea what happened. I guess part of that is the combat log is so bad. Also in combat someone will attack you and then the game immediately moves to the next attacker's turn before you can even see if the first guy hit or miss or what the damage was.

C
apprentice
apprentice
C
Having whatever was detected by the perception check show up on alt-highlight mode would solve this. Alt is weirdly particular about what it does and does not highlight.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by clanpot
Having whatever was detected by the perception check show up on alt-highlight mode would solve this. Alt is weirdly particular about what it does and does not highlight.

It willprobably be fixed. I also think whatever you found by perception should be [highlighted super clearly with a thick and sparkly purple outline[.

P
P
Yeah and whatever you found should be marked as such. In Pillars of Eternity, they get marked with a colored highlight which persists, and that seems like a pretty reasonable approach.

D
old hand
old hand
D
+1

If you succeed the test, it should be damn obvious what you just perceived!

stranger
stranger
+1

Link Copied to Clipboard