Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
journeyman
journeyman
I think, dice rolls work against the party and in favor of enemies. I mean the game lets you take several rounds to kill off a goblin with 2 HP left, because your characters miss every fucking attack at 60-70% chance.
Also enemies often get various benefits at combat start from outnumbering the party while having almost unreachable high ground, setting half the group on fire with the first attack and so on.
I'm avoiding combat (which costs me xp) and even reload if persuasion checks fail and combat is at hand.

Example: Battle in Destroyed sanctuary:
The goblin outnumber you by far.
The casters and archers have high ground advantage. While you have to even get into the lowground area in order to get into further combat.
They seem to have a lot of casting abilities, counting alone the 3 times one goblin made Lazael fall asleep.
Two archers climb up the long ladder and have easy attacks on you, while you need a long time until you get up to them.
The goblin priestess throws the large statues at you, again you have the problem of being on low ground here.

journeyman
journeyman
I find it interesting that people are having any difficulty with the combat. I'm going trough five fights between rests without issue. I didn't short rest for the first time until after the fight outside the grove, so I did everything in the tutorial, the intellect devourers, the guys outside the crypt, all the guys inside the crypt at once, the skeleton at the end of the crypt and the fight outside the grove on no rest and just a handful of health potions.

I picked a fight with the Harpies while half bloody without spell slots and I absolutely slaughtered them. That was after the goblins under the grove, the two teiflings guarding the goblin prisoner and the druid healer. I have to wonder if it's the game or the character design/party layout. For instance, I'm not running with Shadowheart. My main is a Warlock and I have Fighter, Rogue and Wizard. I attempt to come at fights from odd angles and force the opponents to come to me while I pick them off, or use game mechanics against them, something this game is very well suited for.

Last edited by Kal Spiro; 09/10/20 05:20 PM.
#684713 09/10/20 09:28 PM
M
stranger
stranger
M
Hello together!

Can
someone tell me where I can adjust the difficulty level?

Is that even possible at the moment?

if not, will it be given later?

Many thanks

apprentice
apprentice
No option to adjust difficulty yet. I think they do plan on adding it in the future (not sure if for EA or just final release, though).

journeyman
journeyman
Just finished the Tea house and the fight was too difficult. I'm level 4 and only had single attacks while the Redcaps had Bloodlust and got to bash my party 3 times in a row.. The Thralls were more manageable but still took forever to beat them. Felt like I had not a single good roll. Frustrating not to have a sense of skill progression.

Would like to know what class you are Kai Spiro and how you managed so well. I use items, use terrain, spells and still get slaughtered. They seem to have unlimited spells and abilities.

Banned
Banned
I am actually finding the game a bit too easy. Also, given the way rolls work in dialogue, I would really like to have an Iron Man mode, with only one constantly updating save. The temptation to reload failed dialogues is just too much!

I'm glad this thread exists because I have been finding this game incredibly difficult. I think part of it is 1: I don't like Shadowheart or Lae'zel and my player character is a ranger so I'm running with all squish, no tank, no heals. On top of that I like to persuade/intimidate/deceive my way through encounters which doesn't net exp.

When I do have to get into a fight I feel massively disadvantaged compared to the enemies and I'm lucky if I can ever hit anything--my hit chances are so low. If this is the result of party composition/under-leveling then I feel like I'm being punished for playing the way I want to play. Having difficulty tiers will definitely be good but doesn't address the problems that may be causing my run to be so challenging.

#686217 10/10/20 03:54 PM
C
stranger
stranger
C
Hi, What difficulty modes will there be in the full release, Like i know in the divinity original sin there is easy normal hard, I am one of those people who have trouble with combat, I was able to finish early access, but barely, had trouble in one of the side quests in underdark, so I want to ask, will there also be story mode for those who want easy combat?

thanks

Chibs

Amnixx #688217 11/10/20 12:24 PM
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Amnixx
Just finished the Tea house and the fight was too difficult. I'm level 4 and only had single attacks while the Redcaps had Bloodlust and got to bash my party 3 times in a row.. The Thralls were more manageable but still took forever to beat them. Felt like I had not a single good roll. Frustrating not to have a sense of skill progression.

Would like to know what class you are Kai Spiro and how you managed so well. I use items, use terrain, spells and still get slaughtered. They seem to have unlimited spells and abilities.

Funnily I've read about this being a hard fight before, but is was the probably easiest fight I had (if we are speaking about the fight outside the hut).
But that was because the redcaps were totally scattered around the map and needed to close in first, so I could pick one at a time and when it was dead the next one arrived. Only the 4th did arrive one turn before I could kill the 3rd, so he did this huge damage one time before he got killed.
So that was the one fight where I had the clear advantage

apprentice
apprentice
They just need fix all problems and bugs and mistakes...

and so after that make some options like:

- Special NPCs have saving throws agains death (my wanna-be companion dies in fight with goblins when he wasn't my companion)
- AI scaling and AI improvement (coz some of side-quest villagers went in a fight against Bugbear and get oneshoted - what a fool)
- Blocking some Special Actions for AI if they are really don't do that
- And ofcource Challenge Rating scaling/multiplier (that you are really don't need to fight 10 goblins, but just 5 instead) OR stats scalling for enemy creatures
- DC scaling (that you roll not above 20, but above 15 or 10)
- Special Rules for creating your Character (like "Beholder eyes" or "4d6" rule or "3d6" - epic rule) + starting Feat at lvl1 to make it more easy and rpg-colored

Is you need it.
Coz I'm ok with D&D suffering. (still hates that Human doesn't have Feat subvariant)

Last edited by Ricardanilevs; 11/10/20 12:46 PM.
#689697 12/10/20 01:04 AM
S
stranger
stranger
S
Long time DnD player/DM here (3.5/5/pathfinder), I've got about 7 hours in the game so far on 'classic' difficulty but have found almost every combat encounter after arriving at the Druid's grove has been pretty much impossible to beat. The temple near the grove had a fight with so many level 3, perhaps 4 skeletons with casters that I decided it must be intended to return to at a higher level. The problem has been that trying to follow the story always leads to similar scenarios, such as freeing the 'bear' in the goblin camp causes a combat encounter between at one point our party and 9 other combatants, all of whom were at least level 3. Has anyone else had this problem?
Inb4 people say git gud, however there seems to be little chance I could return at a higher level as xp gain is fairly slow and I've yet to find any side quests with an appropriate challenge for the party to gain said xp. Party composition seems to make little difference and I know as a DM for dnd that if I ever threw similar encounters at a party of lvl 1s, I would expect them to run away as it's certainly not winnable.

somebody please tell me I'm missing some significant mechanic or quest tree, as I suspect coming back with a level 2 party would have the hit points to survive it.

You're definitely not alone. I've seen a lot of people chime in with specific strategies/party comps that make it supposedly "easy" but just playing the game in a straight forward way is incredibly difficult. My hit rate always seem abysmal, I attack for less than the enemy seems to, the enemy has access to tons of aoes and effects, and there's usually tons of them. I only got by because my player character was a ranger who could summon a bear and I had Wyll summon an imp, so that *somewhat* evened things out but I still found myself having to retry an encounter 2-3 times. More if I got especially unlucky on dice rolls.

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
So far if you play the game like its DnD it will be unreasonably difficult, or you will run into issues. But if you play it like its DOS or DOS2, it should be pretty damn easy. This isn't a good thing in fact its a really bad thing.

S
stranger
stranger
S
I don't see how it's any different mechanically, as it is as far as I'm aware, pretty much exactly the same as 5e so far. I know the spells, actions, and strategies that work it's just against the encounters where they've got often 3 times the hit points there's only so far that will go.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'play it like it's DOS or DOS2', as it's neither of those games, and I can only be expected to use the game mechanics presented to me. The game should still be playable to people who've not played DOS or DnD, although there'd obviously be a steeper learning curve for those people. This could easily be solved by lowering the level of the enemies to make them more in line with the party.

stranger
stranger
I give up.

My hit rate is NEVER even half what the AIs is (usually 1/3rd) and virtually every battle I can count on 2-4 critical misses by me and 2-4 critical hits by the AI. Additionally the AIs range attacks have at least 50-100% more range then mine and hit twice as hard (on the rare occasions I do hit). With LOTS of save scumming and replaying most battles 3-10 times I was eventually able to get to 4th level and guess what ... it didn't matter in the slightest, characters are still 2-hit-wonders due to increased AI damage.

I've removed BG3 from my computer and will try again when the game is re-balanced and whatever horrid random number generator you're using has been replaced.

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Originally Posted by SpookyCleric
I don't see how it's any different mechanically, as it is as far as I'm aware, pretty much exactly the same as 5e so far. I know the spells, actions, and strategies that work it's just against the encounters where they've got often 3 times the hit points there's only so far that will go.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'play it like it's DOS or DOS2', as it's neither of those games, and I can only be expected to use the game mechanics presented to me. The game should still be playable to people who've not played DOS or DnD, although there'd obviously be a steeper learning curve for those people. This could easily be solved by lowering the level of the enemies to make them more in line with the party.

What he means is that while it should play like D&D, it doesn't. In fact, a lot of the 5e rules have been changed by Larian for no real reason other than they wanted to make another Divinity game that would lure in more people. This plays almost entirely like Divinity, except with some dice rolls in conversations thrown in. As for you trying to fight the skeletons in the ruins at level 1, why are you still level 1? By the time you beat the goblins in front of the Druid's Grove, you should be level 2 at the least, that fight actually bumped my party up to level 3. Have you been leveling up your party members?

addict
addict
The hit rate thing (for one part) is because the game starts you at with a disadvantage. After Grove it seems like most encounters have enemy archers on high ground throwing shit at you. Not only when it gets to your turn (when its 4v9+ already), you're half hp because surface crap ignores AC, but ur either out of range or low ground and therefore less chance to hit. The combat encounter's seem to be designed by a DM that's new and hasn't actually played the game and understands the rules.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Originally Posted by Pupito
Originally Posted by SpookyCleric

What he means is that while it should play like D&D, it doesn't. In fact, a lot of the 5e rules have been changed by Larian for no real reason other than they wanted to make another Divinity game that would lure in more people. This plays almost entirely like Divinity, except with some dice rolls in conversations thrown in. As for you trying to fight the skeletons in the ruins at level 1, why are you still level 1? By the time you beat the goblins in front of the Druid's Grove, you should be level 2 at the least, that fight actually bumped my party up to level 3. Have you been leveling up your party members?

I sincearly hope that's a joke lol, no I've got 418 xp and require another 1382xp to reach level 2... are you on the easiest difficulty? even still, I'm only on classic which was described as 'normal difficulty', but I've no idea how you'd get anywhere close to level 3 that quickly...

U
stranger
stranger
U
I've personally really been enjoying the difficulty, played through the content that is available. When I can see 'red' enemies from a distance I always approach in stealth so I can get a suprise round, when the enemies are neutral but I could see a battle coming I try to scout and position before starting a dialogue. This will make a huge difference in battle. Perhaps this goes against some dnd immersion, I don't know. Feels like something you would do if ran around a hostile environment. If you run in with all your party and are surrounded by archers on rooftops you'll probably die.

I've found spells in general to be really unreliable however, you simply can't spend a turn hoping for those 50-60% spells will hit. Magic Missile is by far the best and as far as I can tell the only damage spell worth casting, other spells that do not have a saving throw such as fog/darkness can be fantastic for disabling ranged enemies. Using potions or eating food as your bonus action is way better than trying to run around with a cleric and actually spending actions to heal companions. If you're using the cleric companion make her melee. If one party member does not do damage then the fight is prolonged requiring more healing to be done. It's usually best to just try and go all in for damage and trying to reduce their numbers asap.

Not sure if this helps anyone, but this is how I've been playing.

G
stranger
stranger
G
I think the combat is difficult but not impossible. I've played it with my first 2 rolls being fighter, 3rd being a warlock. I always grab all the companions except wyl and then I do the ruins first. By the time I get to druid grove I'm level 2 already. When I get to the blighted town, I usually get close to if not level 3 by that time. I haven't gone past the goblin camp temple yet and the hardest fight I had to do was right outside the goblin camp where if you don't kill that one goblin near the back of the small camp he hits the drums and calls a bunch of gobs in. I had a really difficult time there but I won by funneling them onto the bridge and throwing grenades basically cause they did way more damage than my ranged attacks and I didn't want to take a chance missing melee swings. My take is that its not impossible on classic, def challenging, and playing with friends we usually win every battle but just requires a lot of strategy. I rather like it myself. Just my take.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard