Next Thread
Print Thread
U
ulric Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
U
Group Darkvision: If one group member has Darkvision, everyone has it.

The current implementation darkens the screen if the selected char has no dark vision (e.g. Githyanki) and is in a cave, and so much so that you cannot play without countermeasures.

Countermeasures would be e.g.
- Selection of another char
- Usage of torches

Problem: These countermeasures reduce my gaming fun. I am no longer allowed to control my preferred (created) char for a long time or I have to laboriously change weapon / torch before and after every fight. I.e. I (PLAYER) suffer from a disadvantage that my created CHAR has.

A correct implementation would reproduce the disadvantages of the missing dark vision to my CHAR. e.g. shortened range of ranged weapons, penalties for perception throws etc. Which might be very complex. Therefore I understand that Larian leaves it at a purely cosmetic implementation of the D&D rule Darkvision.

But as long as it is purely cosmetic it is a question of taste and at least in my case a black screen only creates frustration and reduces my gaming fun. Therefore please Darkvision as an option.

Group Darkvision instead of on/off, because this option already existed in BG2 and it bends the D&D rule and doesn't break it. I (player) control a group. I (player) expect the Elf-Char in the group to let the group leader (human) know if he sees something interesting in a dark corner. Cooperation is what makes a group. And the simplest implementation of this group dynamic is a shared dark vision.

L
L
Completely disagree, I think they got the visual aspect of it right. That said, I obviously wouldn't care if they implemented what you want as a setting. But just so you know, you are still allowed to control your preferred character either way.

veteran
veteran
I honestly like how they implemented darkvision. Maybe I'm just biased because I'm playing a Drow and so have superior darkvision, but it reflects how in-universe or at a table you would have the character with darkvision be the one to take the lead in a dark area.

veteran
veteran
Darkness is part of the environmental challenge and there are different interesting ways to overcome it.

Hard disagree here. I think they did a GREAT job with darkness that is atmospheric, interesting mechanically and not too difficult to deal with.

Have a Wizard cast light or equip a torch. Takes like two clicks.

stranger
stranger
I am also in the darkvision is amazing right now boat. If anything they have been overly generous with the detail a non-darkvision character can make out in places where they should simply see pitch blackness (which is probably the right call). Managing darkness is part of the game design, you have to make the call of whether to risk staying under the cover of darkness or using a torch to see.

FYI, you do get an alert if a character you aren't controlling spots something - you will see the perception check roll happen over their head and they will announce and highlight an area if they find something.

Link Copied to Clipboard