Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Blakeob Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
I wish we could have the option for companions or (especially) player characters to interject in and help with conversations, and just being able to participate in them in general. As it stands, I might accidentally talk to an NPC with someone other than a face character, and then not be able to repeat the dialogue with someone that has a reasonable chance of succeeding at conversation-related skill checks.

And as my friend described it, the combat may be multiplayer, but the conversations are definitely singleplayer. If my wizard is right next to my friend's fighter who's talking with someone, why wouldn't my wizard be able to make a knowledge and interject with some helpful info? If the whole party is speaking with someone, why can't any of the other party members make insight rolls and point out that someone's being a little sus?

V
V
Yes, I did wonder why nobody, in the party of four, chimed in, when Nettie tried to euthanize the player character on account of all suffering from the same disease.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by VincentNZ
Yes, I did wonder why nobody, in the party of four, chimed in, when Nettie tried to euthanize the player character on account of all suffering from the same disease.

Also when Astarion tries to attack the player they do nothing.

Necromancy is just recycling...
apprentice
apprentice
I tried the "Select character" in dialogue and thought it would switch the person answering. To my disappointment, it did not.

I
apprentice
apprentice
I
Originally Posted by Blakeob
I wish we could have the option for companions or (especially) player characters to interject in and help with conversations, and just being able to participate in them in general.

Yes! Exactly.
I would love to have option for my high str fighter to try intimidating someone instead of CHARNAME with 8 str

V
V
Originally Posted by Imendil
I wish we could have the option for companions or (especially) player characters to interject in and help with conversations, and just being able to participate in them in general.

Yes! Exactly.
I would love to have option for my high str fighter to try intimidating someone instead of CHARNAME with 8 str

You can change the character in conversation with one of the buttons on the bottom left, if I recall correctly. Have not used it, so I can not say whether and how this works, but I figured this was the sole reason to implement something like it.

Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by Druid_NPC

Also when Astarion tries to attack the player they do nothing.

That one was quite funny because at one point you can see the rest of the party standing casually chatting to each other in the background as we roll on the floor with a knife.

journeyman
journeyman

Yes! Exactly.

Intimidate is a CHA check. 😁

addict
addict
Hated the Astarion thing. No one helps AND you don't have the option to take out your weapon to attack him after that. You have that against Gale for some reason? That whole convo was terrible fan-fic. But team convos are coming if things are to believed.

https://old.reddit.com/r/BaldursGat...rolls_are_coming_just_not_ready_in_time/

44 mins in the video that's linked.

B
Blakeob Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B

Yes! Exactly.

You can change the character in conversation with one of the buttons on the bottom left, if I recall correctly. Have not used it, so I can not say whether and how this works, but I figured this was the sole reason to implement something like it.

I wish. frown

What that button actually does, at the moment anyway, is let you control another character. Not in the conversation, but in the sense that you can walk around the map and have them do their own thing like shopping or talking to a completely different NPC.

Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
Having multiple party members be able to interact with the dialogue would be great, though I can see how it would be tricky to pull off from a technical standpoint.

D
stranger
stranger
D
Yeah, it would bring another dimension to conversations if the whole party could take part.
I remember from playing through DOS2 in multiplayer that the element that actually caused the most friction and was most disruptive to our suspension of disbelief was always having to negotiate and argue over who of us should do the next conversation.
Something like this would ensure that everyone is engaged and included in the story.

For inspiration you could take a look at how Bioware handled this exact feature in Star Wars: The Old Republic.
In that game, all players see the same dialogue options and can chose any of them. After everyone has chosen an option, the game rolls a dice for each player, and whoever rolls higher is the option that will be picked and the player that will speak.

Y
stranger
stranger
Y
I agree, wish all party members were able to participate/contribute in a conversation. I think this would bring the game a lot closer to a tabletop experience as well.

Last edited by Yiannis_B; 12/10/20 12:14 PM.
L
stranger
stranger
L
So much yes! Just because my dwarfish tank venture first into unknown doesn't mean that he speak for a tem.
If starting talk with npc all characters, set to walk together within 20m, should automatically participate in it. With this setting we should get all special dialog options (eg. race) from whole teem, and actions like persuade/intimidate/etc should be performed by character with best dice tester.

Same goes for trade, it's bit irritating to transfer all stuff to one character every time I want to sell something to get best price with him/her.

Link Copied to Clipboard