Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
There is literally ZERO character customisation in this game currently.

99% of the pre set faces are absolutely hideous, at least for men, and I say that as a gay man.

'Who do you dream of at night???' Erm, absolutely not one single one of your ugly, hideous male preset faces.

Oblivion had better faces than this game does, Id rather spend all night dreaming of Adoring Fan than any of the male faces in this game.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I would agree that most of the male faces are less than attractive, but I managed to make a pretty good looking Gith and Teisling after some work, so they aren't hopeless.

enthusiast
enthusiast
It was more like a jest than blaming, I think. And it is funny how basic we are XD. I don't think a male faces are ugly, though. There are some real handsome fellas in the half-elves department.

apprentice
apprentice
Yeah, evles were supposed to be beatiful, yet 3/4 male elf faces are absolutely hideous.

I agree that it was a joke, but it also comes to show how flamboyant and extra Larian are with their choices :'D From character writting to appeareance.

addict
addict
The comment about character creation was very much tongue in cheek!!

That said, I often find that when people test games, they just grab the default look, whack a name in and rush into the game, especially if anything other than the default looks poorer (which is the impression I’m getting regarding human males from all the comments).

But the OP’s comments remain valid, if the preset choices are not “attractive” or interesting, then they won’t be picked. I believe there has already been a suggestion to have more detailed choice with the use of sliders for facial features. That might be one fix, or give us more options in the presets.

G
apprentice
apprentice
G
I very much like the character creator currently. I would like a lot more options for faces and hair styles, but I don't really have a problem with it. Stretching cheek bones, noses and chins has always felt really stupid and deceptively shallow in other games.

That said, I'm not sure why everyone talks about the character creator like it's super versatile either.

I am really perplexed by that tweet that went out recently. D&D is a game where you explore a fantastical world. Most people play human "vault dwellers" because that is the most fun type of character to play. An alien world isn't interesting when you're the alien. Having the ability to play elves, tieflings and the like is fine, but we're humans. It's more fun to encounter exotic peoples than to pretend to be one. That tiefling town, for example, would be more interesting if they actually felt like anything other than humans who just look different.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
The tiefling on the loading screen and the little gnome druid guarding the inner circle are both very attractive characters.

The only somewhat ok to look at male characters I can make are half elves.

All the male human faces disappoint, as do all the tieflings. The elves aint even elves.

Even in Oblivion I could do this:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 11/10/20 11:38 AM.
stranger
stranger
They are just joking around. Because the analytics result is hilariously average.

Which is about to be expected tbh.
They may have added demon horns, elven ears, and stuffs, and make the default option a female elf.
But if we're looking purely from numbers alone, human is likely a very popular secondary or tertiary character, that most people make after they make their unique characters. If not their primary character.

Last edited by Iveriad; 11/10/20 12:12 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
I agree, the problem for me is that all but 1 wood elf face was asymmetrical. They would either have a huge jawline and small forehead, or a big forehead and small jawline. I hope they add more options. Because I always thought elves were suppose to be the "beautiful race" but all these faces looked like monsters.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by DumbleDorf
Oblivion had better faces than this game does, Id rather spend all night dreaming of Adoring Fan than any of the male faces in this game.

Haha! I’m not sure anyone is buying that.

That said, I had probably the most satisfying experience in a character creator with Oblivion by (eventually) making a pretty decent looking character. The fact it was such hard work made the end result more worth it. Just a shame that no NPC recognised that I was by far the most attractive person in the world.

Hopefully Larian will allow customisation of facial features for the final release, but it doesn’t bother me at all for EA. It’s probably better everyone is testing gameplay rather than spending hours tweaking noses anyway.

stranger
stranger
"99% of the pre set faces are absolutely hideous, at least for men, and I say that as a gay man."

You are definitely blowing it out of proportion. There are quite a few good looking face presets for men, although fewer than for women. The problem so far is that it differs greatly from race to race. Half-elfs are the best (and ironically they look far more elfish than proper elfs, which have the worst selection so far) followed by Tieflings and you can definitely make some good looking male Tieflings.

Last edited by Aengist; 11/10/20 01:46 PM.
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Aengist
"99% of the pre set faces are absolutely hideous, at least for men, and I say that as a gay man."

You are definitely blowing it out of proportion. There are quite a few good looking face presets for men, although fewer than for women. The problem so far is that it differs greatly from race to race. Half-elfs are the best (and ironically they look far more elfish than proper elfs, which have the worst selection so far) followed by Tieflings and you can definitely make some good looking male Tieflings.

No there isn't.

For example you can't even make a tiefling that looks like the one in the game's own loading screen:

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....1E1BA4688F15A88272E866E6C321D5202D2C01A/

stranger
stranger
That's a Cambion, not a Tiefling.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Azazane

Eh, still looks a lot better than the characters we can make.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by DumbleDorf
Originally Posted by Azazane

Eh, still looks a lot better than the characters we can make.

I don't think they look that terrible..
[Linked Image]

They're not all that demonic though, agreed. Scars or bony growths/ridges would be a good addition.

Excluding Dwarves, Halflings and to a lesser extent the Gith, the men definitely received the short end of the stick thus far.

Last edited by Azazane; 11/10/20 03:32 PM.
A
stranger
stranger
A
Originally Posted by Iveriad
They are just joking around. Because the analytics result is hilariously average.

Which is about to be expected tbh.
They may have added demon horns, elven ears, and stuffs, and make the default option a female elf.
But if we're looking purely from numbers alone, human is likely a very popular secondary or tertiary character, that most people make after they make their unique characters. If not their primary character.

Larian just found out the normal distribution

veteran
veteran
Objectively there is not zero customisation options. You can say you don't like what is there, but you can't claim it doesn't exist. It's sounds to me like the guys who say this game is not baldur's gate 3. You people should get your head out of your batt

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
D
apprentice
apprentice
D
The character faces look pretty damn good in my opinion! Yes, there could be more face customization options, and having at least SOME body customization would be nice.

Previous BG games (and NWN / Icewind Dale) used preset character portraits (see Pillars of Eternity for a modern comparison) which have always been extremely limited, though you could add your own portraits to the game.

Add more customization options? Sure. Tweak some details here and there? Maybe, but Larian can't please everyone. Subjectivity rules, and some of the complainers are irrational.

Also, no love for the githyanki? Larian has done very well with those models, I think.

enthusiast
enthusiast
What we like it's very subjective, no point arguing. I don't like a single male (there's nothing like Gale for example) or female heads from current character creator, but I can somehow pick a few let's say "barely acceptable".
How to fix this problem? Add more variety, from supermodel looks to "realistic". Far more, like 20-30 faces for each, OR allow editing face shape, skin texture, eye shape and colors, and so on.

It's fine for EA, but would be nice to have more for release.

Still they did great job with Tiefling horns and other details, they look believable. I can't see them as my characters, but the NPC's look great.
Also I'd rather pick the final look of one of many NPC's, they look way better.

But then a mod editor could solve all these as well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard