Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
old hand
old hand
D
Originally Posted by Rastakwer
Originally Posted by Demoulius
I see the 'this isent baldurs gate' complaint so much and noone can voice well why they think it isent a baldurs gate game.

Let me try to voice it then (although after being very disappointed with the prologue, I like the game more and more. It is slowly becoming a Baldur's Gate game).
They haven't tried (yet?) at all to give any sign of it being a Baldur's Gate game. The engine, mechanics, and even the first landscapes, are 100% Divinity:Original Sins.
But to me, Baldur's Gate isn't mechanics, it is a spirit. And when we progress in the story, this spirit, mostly based on companions interactions and landscapes, seems to come out.

Why don't they give us at least a little wink, to let us know we are in the right place, from the start? A lot of nostalgic people, seeing this prologue and mechanics, will just give up and look no further.
Maybe start the game in one of BGs iconic locations? Or a quick chat with an NPC from the first games?

An example/idea:
Intro video: you start in a very classic medieval tavern. Owned by a retired adventurer, a big, strong, bald guy. Strangely, a fat hamster is sitting on the counter, but hey, we've seen stranger things.
Then all hell breaks loose, the tavern is attacked, you get kidnapped and wake up on a strange ship full of brains.
Game starts here.

See what I mean?

Short version: this isn't a Baldur's Gate game because it doesn't try to be, at least not at the start.
They are going to make an awful lot of money out of nostalgic veterans, and they took over probably the most famous RPG in video game history. An acknowledgment of that would have been nice.

I did found a reference book about Boo btw so would that make it a baldurs gate game to you then?

The engine, mechanics and scenario are indeed very simular to those from divinity. Probably because Larian makes the game on the divinity engine 🤷‍♂️ What kind of argument is that though? Do you want them to use a 2 decade old engine instead? Do you want them to mimick it?

This is what I mean when I say I cant get a good idea what people dont like because it sounds like you just want cameos to characters from the previous games. But I think the timeline has progressed by a few hundred years so that would be weird. Not inpossible, but weird.

And at the same time you would probably also get people crying foul that they are just using the previous games for easy cameos. Larian seriously cant win in this regard.

So (please forgive. But....) what about bg3 makes it not a bg game?

F
journeyman
journeyman
F
1. I agree the party size is rather limiting, but I doubt party size really makes it a Baldur's Gate game.
2. Who cares what the shopkeeper UI looks like? Is the shopkeeper UI really what you remember about Baldur's Gate?
3. The reason you can give items away is to get certain NPCs to like you. A confirmation you're not being paid for what you're giving would be nice, or a separate button for gifting, sure, but is this really a "this isn't BG3" complaint?
4. Agreed. The game definitely needs a sort of shift-click to transfer in the inventory UI. Is this a "this isn't Baldur's Gate 3" complaint, though?
5. So you can swap to the next character that has not expended their movement and actions yet by pressing spacebar instead of accidentally wasting the turn of X characters because you hit End Turn on the first one. Is this really a "this isn't BG3" complaint?
6. Don't know. It's kind of annoying, and I don't think spacebar should choose dialogue options; it should only SKIP the voiceovers/animations. Is this really a "this isn't BG3" complaint?
7. This is nothing more than a visual representation of "what do I need to roll, considering all my modifiers, to succeed this check?" Is this really a "this isn't BG3"complaint?
8. RNG is RNG. Is this really a "this isn't BG3" complaint?

Overall, your list of complaints with the game, even if they were reasonable, were not actually reasons why this isn't BG3. This is just feedback on the game. Stop with the inflammatory titles and just call your thread "My Feedback." It would be much more accurate.

M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
If you think my post is angry then you need to spend more time talking to people...

journeyman
journeyman
I see the 'this isent baldurs gate' complaint so much and noone can voice well why they think it isent a baldurs gate game.

It's difficult to articulate. I guess it just 'feels' too close to DOS and so it cancels out the nostalgic feeling people want to feel. It doesn't throw them back to the original games.
I'm sure there are many small differences that are not a problem by themselves but the accumulation of them is enough to make it feel like DOS rather than BG.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Alon Binyamin
It's difficult to articulate. I guess it just 'feels' too close to DOS and so it cancels out the nostalgic feeling people want to feel. It doesn't throw them back to the original games.
I'm sure there are many small differences that are not a problem by themselves but the accumulation of them is enough to make it feel like DOS rather than BG.

I think this is actually the best concise articulation I've seen on the matter. I haven't played EA, but am very hyped for the game... But as a BG fan, I worry it might not feel like I'm playing a BG game, even if it's a great game on its own. I don't think I've seen a single review that says "yes, this is a great BG game". The problem is that the "feel" of a game is incredibly hard to capture, especially in a game with such big changes to the original saga. Many of these changes I like, but, as it's been said, they accumulate and alter the "feel", even if there will be significant plot connections.

K
apprentice
apprentice
K
Originally Posted by Uncle Lester
Originally Posted by Alon Binyamin

I think this is actually the best concise articulation I've seen on the matter. I haven't played EA, but am very hyped for the game... But as a BG fan, I worry it might not feel like I'm playing a BG game, even if it's a great game on its own. I don't think I've seen a single review that says "yes, this is a great BG game". The problem is that the "feel" of a game is incredibly hard to capture, especially in a game with such big changes to the original saga. Many of these changes I like, but, as it's been said, they accumulate and alter the "feel", even if there will be significant plot connections.

+1

enthusiast
enthusiast
I did found a reference book about Boo btw so would that make it a baldurs gate game to you then?

The engine, mechanics and scenario are indeed very simular to those from divinity. Probably because Larian makes the game on the divinity engine 🤷‍♂️ What kind of argument is that though? Do you want them to use a 2 decade old engine instead? Do you want them to mimick it?

This is what I mean when I say I cant get a good idea what people dont like because it sounds like you just want cameos to characters from the previous games. But I think the timeline has progressed by a few hundred years so that would be weird. Not inpossible, but weird.

And at the same time you would probably also get people crying foul that they are just using the previous games for easy cameos. Larian seriously cant win in this regard.

So (please forgive. But....) what about bg3 makes it not a bg game?

For me, personally... it frankly starts with the intro/main menu. The logo is right, the music and background aren't. Neither does the music riff on the classic Raldur's Gate theme (which BG2 did), the moving, 3d background: 100% Divinity OS.

After the game starts, we are frontloaded into a high octane, Planescape'esque action scene. Too much! Beginning a new D&D adventure should have a level appropriate feel. Yea, sure, the whole plane-chase aboard a Nautiloid, hunted by Githyanki raiders on red dragons is ultra cool, but, why not at least flash back to a "a few days earlier" prologue right after, where you can familiarize yourself with your character and the actual world for Toril for 2 or 3 levels, before you are pushed into crazy, Illithid mind bug, eternal Blood War, crazy territory? Remember BG1? You started of going through a more or less lazy day in Candle Keep... with assassins hounding you... before sh*t hit the fan.

Next, it's the whole look an feel of the UI. No right click interaction with character portraits, the inability to select your characters properly, that still very ropy chaining system. Inventory management is also very unintuitive. Equipping weapons and gear is... interesting. Spells scrolls are far too abundant and can be used by every character. 1000 interactive objects in the world, all are full of trash or outright empty. All of that worked so much better even 20 years ago in BG1.

Which leads me into: The rules: Yea, no. The basics are there. We have dice rolls, (very basic) character sheets, a few races, classes, spells and special abilities... but as soon as that's translated into actual gameplay, it's pure bouncy, wacky fun. Everything burns, explodes, falls over, jumps,... just like in Divinity! There is some nice stuff, like that multi faceted dialogues, branching here and there according to who speeks - if they can restrain the writing to stuff that characters in Faerun would actually say. But % chances to hit? Visible perception rolls? Hiding in more or less, plain sight? Bonus actions for everyone? Jeezas!

...and lastly: The world, the story and the characters. Wow, what a mess. I mean, sure, some of it has to be put down to game's status as EA, but also - sadly - to writing. First and foremost: The whole Ilithid tadpole gimmick is shaky from minute one, because... how to put that: Aside the fact that it highly convoluted and probably could be solved in a few, quick and easy ways by a competent group and DM, if it came along in a proper campaign, it completely roots the story in something outside of the world you are supposed to play in. Ilithids are creatures of the planes and Underdark, not Fearun proper. You are a first level adventurer. You shouldn't deal with stuff like that until level 10 plus. Heck, your companions (aside maybe La'zel) and you shouldn't even know about stuff like that without extensive research into obscure lore. It's like if in BG1, you not only immediately got the info that you are a Baal spawn, but also got a party of other god choosen and spawns together, jumped through portal to the plane of fire, and dealt with a conflict between a group of thieflings and Azers... that's D&D "campaign whiplash". So, right after you took that gut punch, and met a possy of the most convoluted adventuring buddies ever, you are reproached by a f-ing demi-fiend/cambion/whatever who immediately offers you an infernal deal! No adventuring down the Sword Coast for a few days/months, solving problems for local hamlets, making a name for yourself, learning to know your companions... instead you have tee with motherf-ing Volo, 5 hours in... and no, that's not the same as meeting Elmister on you way to the Friendly Arm.That one was a nice nod, the other is a lore sledgehammer to the face. See where I'm going with that?

Bottom line: You know who does stories like we got in BG3 right now? Larian, in their Divinity games...

Last edited by WarBaby2; 11/10/20 10:29 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by WarBaby2
For me, personally... it frankly starts with the intro/main menu. The logo is right, the music and background aren't.

Excellent point about the music, that absolutely has to be an intellectual property issue - maybe its ownership is split between disinterested entities at this point.

If that's not the case, then something funky is going on at Wizards, because they used to be obsessively retentive about the D&D license.

I
stranger
stranger
I
[quote=Demoulius]

...and lastly: The world, the story and the characters. Wow, what a mess. I mean, sure, some of it has to be put down to game's status as EA, but also - sadly - to writing. First and foremost: The whole Ilithid tadpole gimmick is shaky from minute one, because... how to put that: Aside the fact that it highly convoluted and probably could be solved in a few, quick and easy ways by a competent group and DM, if it came along in a proper campaign, it completely roots the story in something outside of the world you are supposed to play in. Ilithids are creatures of the planes and Underdark, not Fearun proper. You are a first level adventurer. You shouldn't deal with stuff like that until level 10 plus. Heck, your companions (aside maybe La'zel) and you shouldn't even know about stuff like that without extensive research into obscure lore. It's like if in BG1, you not only immediately got the info that you are a Baal spawn, but also got a party of other god choosen and spawns together, jumped through portal to the plane of fire, and dealt with a conflict between a group of thieflings and Azers... that's D&D "campaign whiplash". So, right after you took that gut punch, and met a possy of the most convoluted adventuring buddies ever, you are reproached by a f-ing demi-fiend/cambion/whatever who immediately offers you an infernal deal! No adventuring down the Sword Coast for a few days/months, solving problems for local hamlets, making a name for yourself, learning to know your companions... instead you have tee with motherf-ing Volo, 5 hours in... and no, that's not the same as meeting Elmister on you way to the Friendly Arm.That one was a nice nod, the other is a lore sledgehammer to the face. See where I'm going with that?

I think this very well describes what bothered me. I like intense scenes and traversing alternate planes with fantastic beings, but they kind of rammed it down your throat. A few hours later you are fighting some low level goblins. Pacing could be better.

The lore is also strange. The tadpole should be some obscure piece of knowledge, like "O shit, THAT'S how those terrifying beasts are made! We just found a deep secret." Here, every one and their sister knows what an Illithid tadpole is. That's like running around in the original games with every single person you talk to screaming "You're the son of a god!"

Originally Posted by Yawning Spider
For me, personally... it frankly starts with the intro/main menu. The logo is right, the music and background aren't.

Excellent point about the music, that absolutely has to be an intellectual property issue - maybe its ownership is split between disinterested entities at this point.

If that's not the case, then something funky is going on at Wizards, because they used to be obsessively retentive about the D&D license.

Last time I checked, a 5/4 measure and drums aren't possible to copyright. I made a quick draft a few days ago on what the current BG3 theme (which I actually love) could sound like in the main menu:
https://soundcloud.com/endolex/baldurs-gate-iii-alternate-main-menu-arrangement

Last edited by endolex; 11/10/20 11:33 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by endolex

Last time I checked, a 5/4 measure and drums aren't possible to copyright. I made a quick draft a few days ago on what the current BG3 theme (which I actually love) could sound like in the main menu:

Sure, I was sort of being facetious. My point was that Wizards was infamously controlling of the D&D license - the idea that, if it were at all within their power to control, they would let BG3 release without a variation of the iconic, instantly recognizable menu music is very odd to me. Seems like very poor brand management.

I like your arrangement by the way, thanks for putting that together.

stranger
stranger

Sure, I was sort of being facetious. My point was that Wizards was infamously controlling of the D&D license - the idea that, if it were at all within their power to control, they would let BG3 release without a variation of the iconic, instantly recognizable menu music is very odd to me. Seems like very poor brand management.

I like your arrangement by the way, thanks for putting that together.

I agree, this arrangement is SOOOO much better than Larian's. I honestly complained to my roommate that Larian's sounded more like a sound check than a real arrangement.

In terms of the tone of the game being "more like Baldur's Gate" I feel like, in addition to some better music, the selection of companions would go a long way. The original games had SO MANY companions to choose from, of every class and alignment. In the original game, I always had Minsc (and Boo) in my party. If Minsc died, I either got him resurrected, or I reloaded. He had to be in the party. But I also liked Branwen, Garrick, Kivan, Tiax, Viconia, and Xan. In the second game there were also Aerie, Jan Jensen, Nalia, Yoshimo, and Sarevok. In TOB, Sarevok and Minsc were in the party in every playthrough.

I played those games so many times I had favorite characters that HAD to be there, and others I would avoid at all costs. I would even play on "multiplayer" so I could make multiple characters to balance out the party that otherwise only had my favorite characters in it.

I also miss multi-classed characters. I played as almost every race and class, but I was partial to the Fighter/Mage/Thief. I even used Gatekeeper/Shadowkeeper to make that playable as a human.

For me, I suppose what would make it feel more like Baldur's Gate:
1) Having an EPIC soundtrack (seriously Larian, license that better title track)
2) Having 25+ companions of questionable sanity to choose from
3) Having 6 party members (my D&D game has 8 players, and for me the sweet spot is 6-12 players, and I won't game with less than 4 players)

T
stranger
stranger
T
Blah blah blah whining.....assassin's creed changed its premise and became an RPG which was better for it and you had ppl say....this isnt assassin's creed, farcry 1 Vs the rest are totally different, it's still in the spirit of farcry and got better for it from farcry 2 and 3, call of duty had two Dev teams, one was lasy the other was brilliant, still call of duty, street fighter 4 and 5 are night and day yet 5 is more fun and accessible......this is an early access use of the divinity engine but it is very much baldurs gate, it respects 5e, it respects table top, it respects the universe and it's creatures and it's gorgeous compared to your double disc baldurs gate 2......give suggestions to improve on the base of this game but don't ask the Devs for real time with pause or ask them to use a different engine

Last edited by Thapelo; 29/10/20 06:09 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast

Holy hell fire dude, yes!

I actually *just* had a discussion about how I feel like the BG 3 music is more similar to DoS than BG, but I simply don't know enough about music to properly and objectively describe it. This is a spot on great example!

Agreed just saying i agree to you.

I guess you didn't really look for an answer or refused to see them...
But hey no problem, here I re-post what IsaasSpringsong post in this thread " https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=720570#Post720570 "

QUOTE :
To be clear, this is not for stating changes to the base rules of 5e or even decrying some of these elements. This is to create a master list of all the elements of the game that make it ‘feel’ like a DoS game, rather than a Baldur’s Gate/D&D game, given that it is such a popular forum topic. I also acknowledge that I have shamelessly stolen many of these items from other posters, I cannot thank you all enough. Generally speaking, here is the logical process I used for inclusion on this list:

Step 1 - Was the 'thing' something that does exist in DoS?
Step 2 - Was the 'thing' something that is well known for existing in DoS?
Step 3 - Was the 'thing' something that does exist in BG?
Step 4 - Was the 'thing' something that is well known for existing in BG?
Step 5 - How often have I experienced the 'thing' being discussed?

I will keep this list updated if people wish to add to/remove from it:

1. Choice of color palette
2. Origin characters vs NPC companions
3. All Origin characters discovered nearly immediately in the game rather than organically throughout the entire story.
4. World full of meaningless items
5. World full of meaningless containers/locked chest with very little of value in them
6. Battles based in the environment and not in Character Class
7. Height (King of the Hill gameplay)
8. Backstab (only lacking the ground indicator from DoS)
9. Removing Class identity by making each character a Swiss Army knife, able to do everything (converting many Actions into Bonus Actions that normally only a Rogue would have, all classes can use scrolls, all classes have massive mobility in combat due to Jump, etc.)
10. Exactly the same starting pattern. Start as a prisoner on the vessel (boat/nautiloid) of our mentally flogging enemies (Magisters/Mindflayer). Vessel is attacked and we must take advantage of this to escape. Only everything does not go as planned and we fall off (void/water) and we are saved from dying by a mysterious force. Then we arrive on a beach and we wake up. Proceed to small settlement nearby.
11. Barrelmancy
12. Surfaces *everywhere*
13. Surfaces having overpowered effects beyond just damage
14. Food everywhere that is better healing than everything else
15. Encounter design that assumes you are fully rested for each fight.
16. Every fight involves flashy gimmicks and enemies using a host of special items (elemental arrows, grenades, healing potions)
17. No normal enemies
18. Reused DoS items that don’t exist in D&D 5e (Trap Kit)
19. Succeeding on a thieving check but the target magically knows you stole from them a few seconds later.
20. Enemies have insanely high HP values, needlessly lengthening combat
21. Chaining party members and movement system
22. Shared inventory space
23. Inventory management and UI
24. Swap any gear on and off in combat
25. Screen shake on ability selection, regardless of activation
26. Overly flashy effects for mundane actions (Jump, etc)
27. Stealth sight cones
28. Swap spells nearly at-will
29. Limited to 1 summon per character
30. Being knocked prone ends your turn
31. Turn Based vs Real Time with Pause
32. Overpowering low level characters via magic items (Doubling Magic Missiles damage)
33. Closeup character models for Portraits
34. Teleportation fast travel accessible from anywhere
35. Narrator’s voice is Malady from DoS 2
36. Normal attack with duel-wielding weapons attacks with both at the same time
37. Reused ability names and animations (Great Weapon Master is called “All In”)
38. Same highlighting mechanic of climbable surfaces
39. Same blocky item reveal UI that doesn’t actually show the item (pressing Alt)
40. Same revealing a hidden item graphic
41. Terrible pathing that will lead to allies unintentionally walking over surfaces and traps
42. Merchant UI
43. Giving free items to the merchant increases your ‘likeable’ score for that merchant, resulting in lower prices
44. Stealing from someone with one character while you are talking to them with another character
45. Giant contiguous maps rather than small and more discrete maps
46. 4 party limit
47. Same map and minimap UI (showing interactable ground, map markers)
48. Hotbar UI (primarily functionality)
49. Resurrection mechanics, animation (being able to magically teleport someone when resurrecting them)
50. Needing to double click to cast ‘self’ range spells
51. Inability to target party members for spells/abilities via their portrait
52. No non-combat exp or reward for avoiding combat
53. Only able to customize 1 character at the beginning
54. Excessively long ‘AI thinking’ delays in combat
55. Lockpicking progress bar
56. Most books and item descriptions extremely short
57. No need to identify magic items
58. Showing the percentage to-hit
59. Being able to right click on an enemy an ‘examine’ them to learn all of their stats
60. Moving cursor around a target can change whether you hit the target or the ranged attack is intercepted.
61. Companions completely block movement
62. Same party management UI in multiplayer
63. No day/night cycle, it’s always the same time of day in the location
64. Cannot adjust starting gear
65. Overabundance of magic items that remove the need to pick certain spells or abilities (Amulets for Speak with Dead, Misty Step, staff with Create Water, etc.)
66. No Fog of War
67. Ability to keep one or more party members out of combat via Stealth
68. No tracking of normal arrows
69. Wallhack scouting via camera manipulation
70. Aimbotting AI (automatically knowing which party member has the ‘least’ in a defensive stat and focusing solely on them)
71. No random encounters
72. Infinitely summonable Zombie companion
*edits below*
73. Access to enemy statistics by "Examining" them. (Note: DoS has this mechanic but locks some information behind spending points a particular skill, while BG did not have this at all).
74. Main theme music (credit to Endolex for demonstrating the audible difference a BG based theme would sound like -> https://soundcloud.com/endolex/baldurs-gate-iii-alternate-main-menu-arrangement)

END OF THE QUOTE

Do you get it now ?

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
I feel sorry for Baldur's Gate fanboys. I really do.

Here you have been wanting a "true successor" to Baldur's Gate, and when someone releases a game with the same name, it's not what you wanted.

Not only that it's made by someone who made a game that's not Baldur's Gate, and this new Baldur's Gate "feels" like that other game, and not like the Baldur's Gate you grew up with.

I'm not trying to be rude. I get you guys feelings. But thing is Baldur's Gate isn't video games, it's part of a setting in Dungeons and Dragons' Forgotten Realms. It shows up in many books and adventure modules. And no one is complaining that 5e isn't Baldur's Gate?

Baldur's Gate the video games are old and frankly outdated. While the games, and similar games, does have a small following, it's a niece following. DnD 5e is a LOT more popular. And DoS2 has sold more than most BG clones has too last I checked. So it makes sense that Wizards of the Coast wanted to make a DnD game based on 5e, and chose a developer that makes popular cRPGs that is close to the table top game.

And that's how you should judge Baldur's Gate 3: As a DnD5e game, not compare it to a 20 year old game. (At least not to the minute detail as some of you are doing). This is like Fallout 3, same setting, same concept, but brought into the future.

The problem really is only in the Title, but only for those who played those titles 20 year ago. (I did too, but I was never a huge fan, so don't have the same nostalgia glasses). Forget the title, judge the game by what it is trying to be: Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition. (Which it's failing to live up to as well I might add)

veteran
veteran
BG1/2 old and outdated is right.
That still doesn't mean that the "next gen" has to become a DoS-like.

There are many things still possible for this game to be a little bit more in the middle between BG/D&D/FR/Dos... And things that could improve the game for everyone, whatever you like more one or the other part of it.

Actually BG3 feels and smell like DoS in every part of it... While there is only one thing that looks a little bit like BG : the useless but beautifull worldmap.

And please stop with the city.
BG2 is not in Baldur's Gate. Dark Alliance is not in Baldur's Gate. FR books talking about Baldur's Gate aren't related to video games... Baldur's Gate is both a video game AND a city in the FR. Stop with that ridiculous "BG is just a city so if there's the city, that's ok"...

DoS is definitely the raw material of BG3, more than D&D, more than the FR and way more than BG... Blind are those that don't see it. (Even if everyone is free to find it cool).

Last edited by Maximuuus; 29/10/20 12:31 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Medinvaire

This is quite concerning since you've stuck a III at the end of "Baldur's Gate."

They actually put "3" at the end of "Baldur's Gate" and not "III" and when you see it in Steam Library together with old BG it's like an itch you can't scratch. [Linked Image]

D
D
Meanwhile GOG uses regular numbers at least for non-enhanced versions so it looks consistent

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard