Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
addict
addict
Originally Posted by TheTrueObelus
This game may be D&D rules but not it's spirit. If combat was this difficult in D&D nobody would make it past level 1.

This. Most of the combat encounters seem to be designed by some DM that has never played or DM'd before. A bunch of archers on high ground and throwing bombs at you, creating surfaces and blast dmg that seems to avoid your AC, on top of lighting u on fire without rolling a dex save.

veteran
veteran
Combat is this difficult (or more) in D&D IMHO. Lvl 1 characters are very squishy.

The first goblin ambush in the module "Lost mines of phandelver" is a wrecked cart with some goblin archers hiding in brushes both sides of the road and attacking from height (from trees or a slope).
https://www.dndbeyond.com/sources/lmop

And that´s for level one. You are level 2 in the game after the hell prologue. The bombs are a little overboard, that I agree.

Last edited by _Vic_; 11/10/20 09:14 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Larian can't win. One group of players is whining that the interpretation of 5e isn't close enough to the book rules, another group is whining that they don't like D&D.

-Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.
veteran
veteran
That´s what happens when your game goes so huge he attracts players of a wide array of types, all of them different.

I hope that, with the help of the input during EA, they will find a balance. Or create a lot of options you can switch on and off, like in Owlcat´s games. =D

Last edited by _Vic_; 11/10/20 09:25 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Libertine
Larian can't win. One group of players is whining that the interpretation of 5e isn't close enough to the book rules, another group is whining that they don't like D&D.

This is not a "both sides are equally stupid whiners" thing.

Larian said that this was going to be a D&D game based on the 5e rules, not a hybrid mashup of D:OS and 5e. The people complaining about D&D rules shouldn't have bought a ame explicitly designed as a D&D game.

The 5e rules are not meant to handle all the extra damage and conditions from surfaces all over the place, nor are they meant to give free disengages to everyone as a bonus action.

stranger
stranger
I was resigned to combat being bad since D&D isn't designed or meant for a videogame at all. It was worse than I expected. Can't wait for full release which will probably have an easy mode to make the combat part less of a chore. Everything else I enjoyed despite the bugs.

T
stranger
stranger
T
There have been many D&D rulesets. 5e is just one of them. Nothing is set in stone. A good DM knows this. This game starts at level 1...which should be for beginners. This game is simply too punishing presently. If a really tough fight is coming you need to give players warning so that they can plan.

C
Banned
Banned
C
The only difficult combat so far (completed entire Act 1):

Spider Queen

Goblin Castle if going in hot to the warp stone (not ready for aggro) and without Horn

That's it.

Absolutely every other combat has been an utter face-roll / easy-mode encounter. This includes the Duegar slavers and ... nope. Memory isn't telling me any combat was that hard.

T
stranger
stranger
T
Originally Posted by Cat Badgerkin
The only difficult combat so far (completed entire Act 1):

Spider Queen

Goblin Castle if going in hot to the warp stone (not ready for aggro) and without Horn

That's it.

Absolutely every other combat has been an utter face-roll / easy-mode encounter. This includes the Duegar slavers and ... nope. Memory isn't telling me any combat was that hard.

Sorry, not buying it.

C
Banned
Banned
C
Originally Posted by TheTrueObelus

Sorry, not buying it.

Do you want Streamer videos or some other kind of arcane proof?

0.8% of players of D:OS2 have the "Technical Eggstsy" achievement. I have that, and the For Honour one. I also have the 0.1% POE / POE2 ones.

So, tell us all how to convince you. If you're not open to being convinced, then you're not actually worth talking to in EA.

Hint: very much have cleared the entire map, easily.

There's Poe: [Linked Image]

Just showing that it's not just abusing the D:OS1/2 engine here. Literally some people are better at games than you, factor that in while testing.

Here's D:OS2 (note: cropping the last two, since Larian actually knows the list of people who've done all of them): [Linked Image]

~

Trust me: even **NOT** abusing the stealth / hide / ranged AI bug, BG3 is an utter cake-walk at the moment.

Last edited by Cat Badgerkin; 12/10/20 12:43 AM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard