Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
P
Originally Posted by Cat Badgerkin
Sigh, no.

I'm telling you what is USEFUL in an EA launch and testing period.

This entire thread is a massive waste of time because the OP is so egotistical he claimed things that he never did. i.e. glitches / exploits / jumps etc.

That's why I'm annoyed. He literally did fucking nothing out of the engine ordinary, 100% waste of my time.

You know that the goal wasn't to stress test. The game was made available to the public to be played and enjoyed. You didn't watch the final scene at the end? LOL

Glad to know i've impacted your day significantly.

Last edited by Professor_Palmer; 12/10/20 01:56 AM.
C
Banned
Banned
C
Originally Posted by Professor_Palmer
Sigh, no.

This entire thread is a massive waste of time because the OP is so egotistical he claimed things that he never did. i.e. glitches / exploits / jumps etc.

That's why I'm annoyed. He literally did fucking nothing out of the engine ordinary, 100% waste of my time.

You know that the goal wasn't to stress test. The game was made available to the public to be played and enjoyed. You didn't watch the final scene at the end? LOL

Cry harder. Glad to know i've impacted your day significantly.

You didn't.

That's... not even what stress testing is.

Literally World champion at being a muppet.

P
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
P
Originally Posted by Professor_Palmer
Sigh, no.

Cry harder. Glad to know i've impacted your day significantly.

You didn't.

That's... not even what stress testing is.

Literally World champion at being a muppet.

Sorry you didn't enjoy it. As opposed to ignoring it and going about your life you took offense.

I, for one, will choose to wish everyone a great rest of their days! I will continue to be a muppet and play the game in ways that are super fun for me. I hope you guys enjoy the games content as much as I am!

veteran
veteran
Cat Badgerkin - Not everything has to be useful. Not everything has to follow your plan for the universe or how you command it fit.

Leave your attitude at the door. I'm not one to warn twice. This is your warning.

For the rest, move on. Thanks.

journeyman
journeyman
Cool stuff! Excited to see how much it changes once act 1 is more complete, since I'd imagine the underdark might not be the fastest way out. (Mountain Pass?)

Also would like to say devs enjoy this kind thing being done with their games; go watch any of the IGN devs react to speedrun vids. Silly thing to call pointless.

Last edited by QuietCountryCafe; 12/10/20 02:50 AM.
P
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
P
Originally Posted by QuietCountryCafe
Cool stuff! Excited to see how much it changes once act 1 is more complete, since I'd imagine the underdark might not be the fastest way out. (Mountain Pass?)

Also would like to say devs enjoy this kind thing being done with their games; go watch any of the IGN devs react to speedrun vids. Silly thing to call pointless.

Oh man I'm DYING to have the rest of Act 1!! Since it'll require a lot more quests be done it'll allow for a lot of the other cool stuff I found to be used. There's so much awesome combat and dialogue influence. Really stoked to see it!

old hand
old hand
Im pretty sure this does count as valid playtesting for the EA because the speedrunning brings up a lot of glitches and hacks that the developers might want to fix.

apprentice
apprentice
Oh wow you beat the game designed to be played 25+ hours in less than an hour.
Congratulations, i'am sure you have a lot of fun.

G
stranger
stranger
G
Originally Posted by ste100
Oh wow you beat the game designed to be played 25+ hours in less than an hour.
Congratulations, i'am sure you have a lot of fun.

To complete a successful speed run you usually need to have pretty intimate knowledge of the game. So the guy very likely played a lot more than that.

M
stranger
stranger
M
yepp and u did not made any secondary quests....u just did the main part , thats nt a speed record...nor even a speed run ^^

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Mijati
yepp and u did not made any secondary quests....u just did the main part , thats nt a speed record...nor even a speed run ^^

The point of a speedrun is to beat the game as fast as possible. Not 100% it. Check out any speedrun in Summer Games Done Quick or Winter Games Done Quick.
They almost never 100% the games they beat.

old hand
old hand
Antichamber was the first game that introduced me to speed runs.

To this day I still can't do half of the tricks they do to speed run it.

addict
addict
I didn't watch the video but on speed runs in gerneral, or attempting to speed run, these are very valuable to developers.
Just look at the reaction from the ID devs to the Doom Eternal speed run, its gold. Yes that utilzes glitches and shows how to break the physics, but for an RPG game it shows how easily the game can be marginalise, stripped down to its basics and helps the devs make informed decisions on whether they want to ammend their desig, or just laugh the speedrun off.

I see no need for anyone in this thread to downplay this form of gaming. I mean I one for one really dislike speed running games. I always enjoy taking much longer, becasue the game for me is not about completing, but enjoying the experience, each time I play. Yes Speed runners have usually looked in every nook and cranny, experienced every chat looking for quicker options etc... so they have played a lot(!), but still, it's not for me and that's cool, I still applaud those who can do these things. If I don't want to watch their efforts, I spimply choose not to click on the content.

Last edited by Riandor; 12/10/20 03:29 PM.
stranger
stranger
I'm not downplaying speedruns here, but I will downplay the "World Record" and "Speedrun" part of this post.

Speedruns, as has been pointed out by a few, utilize glitches and tricks to get past things that you as a player were not meant to. Be that killing things way above your level with loads of barrels/enviromentals, or however you achieve this.

Running as fast as you can to tap a flag? I would not consider that a speed run. You haven't beaten anything. You ran through a zone and hit the edge of said zone. The important quest chain doesn't even properly resolve in EA as far as I know.

I didn't watch the video, but got enough in context clues of what is happening, and that is not even an any% speedrun.

You set your own goal, and then met that goal. Congratulations. You set a World Record for a goal you made up

Last edited by MeistrTea; 12/10/20 07:44 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by MeistrTea
I'm not downplaying speedruns here, but I will downplay the "World Record" and "Speedrun" part of this post.

Speedruns, as has been pointed out by a few, utilize glitches and tricks to get past things that you as a player were not meant to. Be that killing things way above your level with loads of barrels/enviromentals, or however you achieve this.

Running as fast as you can to tap a flag? I would not consider that a speed run. You haven't beaten anything. You ran through a zone and hit the edge of said zone. The important quest chain doesn't even properly resolve in EA as far as I know.

I didn't watch the video, but got enough in context clues of what is happening, and that is not even an any% speedrun.

You set your own goal, and then met that goal. Congratulations. You set a World Record for a goal you made up

Dude, no reason to be a jerk and undercut someone's success.
Not all speedruns ultilize glitches or tricks. Some ARE about just going through as fast as possible. And you don't get to decide if it's legit or not.

Stop being a jerk.

stranger
stranger
Look man, I'm all for people playing how they want. He can have fun all he wants however he wants.

When you throw up the arrogance of saying "World Record" is when a call for rules come into play. I can say I hold the World Record for hitting the highest crit on an Eldritch Blast with a Dwarf that is also green, and has a ponytail with no beard. Sure it may or may not be true, but if you posting a video for other people and trying to claim something, be ready to be called out.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by MeistrTea
Look man, I'm all for people playing how they want. He can have fun all he wants however he wants.

When you throw up the arrogance of saying "World Record" is when a call for rules come into play. I can say I hold the World Record for hitting the highest crit on an Eldritch Blast with a Dwarf that is also green, and has a ponytail with no beard. Sure it may or may not be true, but if you posting a video for other people and trying to claim something, be ready to be called out.

Then beat his record?

P
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
P
Apologies, I didn't mean for this to be such a contentious forum post.

To answer a couple of questions this is just an any percent category which requires nothing other than to beat the game as quickly as possible utilizing anything you'd like.

A buddy discovered a bunch of really cool skips that I will implement and I hope to be able to beat the game in less than 25 minutes tonight!

As for not playing 25+ hours or whatever, I've clocked a little over 31 currently. I routed and ran the All Quests category too which is, obviously, much longer.

I was just having a good time playing the game within certain parameters and a timer. Wasn't trying to prove anything or do it for youtube money (lol)

It's all in good fun! And I only put world record in there because as far as I know it's the fastest anyone has done it. If there are faster methods within the same rule set, I'll happily adjust my forum title!

Hope everyone's having a good time with the game however they are playing it!

Last edited by Professor_Palmer; 12/10/20 09:44 PM.
P
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
P
And the "made up goal" part is a bit silly to me.

I started the game and got to the end of early access (the finish)

There's a ton of rpg games out there, like dark souls 1 and such, where you literally just run from the beginning to the end. I just don't think you have a wide enough grasps of speed runs.

Or, you know, Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 where you just glitch to the end as well.

A really skilled glitch hunter helping me found out a way to skip every bit of combat from start to finish now so there's something to be said for being creative enough to get around stuff. That's the fun of any%

Last edited by Professor_Palmer; 12/10/20 09:44 PM.
stranger
stranger
My point is, there is no finish. What do you consider "the end" to be? You're glossing over every point except the one that matters, there is no well defined end here.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard