Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Kavonde Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
I'm confused about the quest to either open or destroy the Ancient Tome of Necromancy from the cellar under the ruined town. As I'm carrying it around, I sometimes have a quest marker on my main character, and sometimes I don't. I'm trying to destroy it--the only hint I have is that it can be only be destroyed in "divine light"--and I'm wandering around the Temple of Selune. I found a room with a mosaic on the wall and a shaft of life, and there's a quest marker there... unless the marker was just on my PC and then decided to stay in that room. Activating the book starts the same conversation as always (BTW, Larian, it seems to be infinitely looping the rep gain/loss event when you select the "drop the book" option), but nothing happens from there.

Not sure if I'm missing something, if the quest isn't actually working, or both. Anyone have any insight?

[[UPDATE:

I think I figured out what I need to do to destroy the book. You'll come across it while trying to find the Nightsong under the Temple of Selune.

Larian, it might be a good idea to remove the permanent quest marker on whoever's carrying the book--think that would alleviate a lot of confusion.]]

Last edited by Kavonde; 08/10/20 09:57 PM.
stranger
stranger
I have no idea as well due to me just reaching that point into the game myself but I kinda want to open it to see what happens. While I was testing stuff and I discovered that (which is funny) if you grabbed the gems from the cellar room (the Laculite, Lolth's Candle and Purple Fluorite Shard) you can destroy the tome by selecting those gems (or any gems you have on hand) and just chuck at the tome. It will take damage from getting hit with the gem and finish the quest via destroying the tome. You are welcome for the funny solution xD

apprentice
apprentice
throw them at the book in the cellar ? I picked the book up and the gargoyles at me for lunch..well the fireballs did...

Ok, so after about 12 attempts I got the book out of the cage without dying from the fireball gargoyles..and..nothing I get a quest marker near main character now and then but nothing else .

Last edited by Dredded; 08/10/20 05:09 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
So , i actually threw the book and threw 2 gems at it and the book died...the odd part is the first time I was able to pick it up I spoked to Gale and he was "possessed" and the voice told me how to ressurect him...but I had to restart because 2 ppl where dead stuck in the cage..so appears there are 2 things you can do here.

stranger
stranger
Going down the well in the middle of the village will take you to a cave system where you can find the (Amethyst) Keygem. Be prepaired for a fight wink .. Use tome and give to Gale. I scoured that stupid cellar forever before I went into the well.... So i hope this helps. smile

Last edited by Strebb; 08/10/20 09:14 PM.
Kavonde Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Just an update!

I think I figured out what I need to do to destroy the book. You'll come across it while trying to find the Nightsong under the Temple of Selune.

Larian, it might be a good idea to remove the permanent quest marker on whoever's carrying the book--think that would alleviate a lot of confusion.

stranger
stranger
You can destroy the tome by dropping it on the ground and casting a divine spell on it, such as Guiding bolt, also.

Kavonde Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by squawkygoblin
You can destroy the tome by dropping it on the ground and casting a divine spell on it, such as Guiding bolt, also.

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/oeeHQiQFghjXzqJi8[/img]

V
stranger
stranger
V
Can I ask how to get the Tome in the first place? I can see the fire gargoyls and a plinth with a quest marker, but nothing I could try to pick up.

If the answer is 'see dead people' then I've cracked it, going to try that now.

*edit it's hidden down behind the plinth.

Last edited by Vore; 09/10/20 06:33 PM.
Kavonde Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Honestly, I just used the Mage Hand cantrip to throw the Tome out of the chamber.

V
stranger
stranger
V
That's what I've ended up doing, just took me hours to get the camera in a position where I could actually see the thing.

stranger
stranger
So, I unlinked a party member, so the rest wouldn't follow him in. Have the person walk up to the door and pick the lock. After that, you'll likely have the torches lit on either side. Have a different character put the flames out, then walk inside with the first character to take the book. I'm pretty sure if nobody else steps on the plate that lights them, you can open the gate and get back out without getting fireballed.

Last edited by squawkygoblin; 09/10/20 08:36 PM.
D
D
Ok. I'll ask as I haven't figured it out yet. Was gonna hold onto the book until I hit end of EA then open it. I'm almost there, I think, but how the hell do I open it?

stranger
stranger
As a note, both the thief and the mage have some kind of interaction with the book once you open it, if you give it to them. Be warned, they won't give it up once they have it. You too, can read the book, which is a series of increasingly difficult wisdom saving throws.

Grants the thief or your MC the Speak with Dead spell 1/day on the first save (which is easy for a wizard MC). Mage (Gale) has no apparent benefit. Second and third saving throw do not seem to grant anything, although the description implies you might have gotten something if you were more powerful or invested in necromancy.

stranger
stranger
So Gale's quest dialog pops up, he asks for the book because
he needs to consume powerful magical artifacts to survive
and when I give it to him, he says that we have to open it first. And this is what happens:

- I open the book, give it to him and he just reads it.
- Load the save and I try opening the book myself without reading it and giving it before speaking to him to see what will happen. In his quest dialog, he asks for the book, but this time there is no option to give him this artifact, even though it is open.

I thought that this could be one of the viable options to destroy the tome, since Gale was going to
consume its magical essence.

Last edited by ReyDSwords; 11/10/20 08:28 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
Once youve done what you need to open the book, put it back in your pack, then speak to Gale after to get the option for him to choose a magic item to devour.

stranger
stranger
i fed him two items already, and now my char wont give him more. there is the dialogue option to ask if he wants it, he sas sure, then the only option is something like: i dont wanna give you any more artifacts right now (although i have a couple, maybe he is saturated enough for 1 chapter. would be kinda nice if he is not some bottomless hole where you never know if hes had enough or not...)

N
old hand
old hand
N
I thought it would be a viable option. Didn't want to give him the artefact I had found for Lae'zel. So before opening the book, there was the option to give it to him. But then after opening it, nothing. It was disappointing.

journeyman
journeyman
"That's what I've ended up doing, just took me hours to get the camera in a position where I could actually see the thing."

I believe this book was one of the things that showed up when I held down the left-ALT key. So you could just click on the label to pick it up, even if you can't "see" the item itself to click on.

addict
addict
What is this.. Ruined town you speak off? I have found the blighted town, even found a cellar there, no tome however. Is there another ruined town? I thought Ive hit every dead end there is.

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard