Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
I think there's a fear of bad consequences from camping too much but also a fear of missing companion dialogue if you sleep too little. On my one completed run I was in camp 5/6 times and one of those was intentional just to hear Gale's background.

Where are the rest of you?

vel Offline
I camp after every fight, seemingly without consequence. Honestly they need to nerf camping. I do it in the middle of enemy areas!

S
OP Offline
S
Does there seem to be something worth talking about each time or does it exhaust itself?

vel Offline
If you don't camp often enough, you'll miss vital character development. However, there's only new stuff every once in awhile. I can't tell if it's number of times camped or triggered by other quest advancement.

Last edited by vel; 12/10/20 01:50 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by vel
I camp after every fight, seemingly without consequence. Honestly they need to nerf camping. I do it in the middle of enemy areas!

I killed 2 Goblin Leaders then took a long rest inside their camp to kill the last one, then just teleport out of there.

I felt bad about it but hey, the mechanics allow it.

Necromancy is just recycling...
veteran
veteran
In my longest playthrough so far (the one where I'm actually approaching the end of the content instead of rerolling characters) I had something like 3 long rests and 3 short ones.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
F
journeyman
journeyman
F
Seeing that camping is the only way to replenish spells. I camp after every fight that I have use most of my spells. Honestly I kind of wished that spell renewal wasn't tied to camping. Eventually some of your party members will mention that it would be good time to take a rest.

journeyman
journeyman
I camp when I'm low on potions and every time I use the tadpole in conversation.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by vel
If you don't camp often enough, you'll miss vital character development. However, there's only new stuff every once in awhile. I can't tell if it's number of times camped out triggered by other quest advancement.

Yeah, I'm starting to notice this issue.
For instance in my last playthrough with a new character I reached the point where you get rid of the three goblin leaders and there's a party in your camp with a single long rest before and I missed at least two-three scenes I've seen with the previous characters.
I think the game needs to be more explicit on when a rest is "required" for story bits.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
journeyman
journeyman
First playthrough I played as a rogue and didn't long rest until after level 3, cause no need.

Second playthrough I was long resting after every fight, sjut so i could spam spells and speed things along to catch up to my first guy, but now that I have caught up, I'm restricting myself to long resting only after completing a full dungeon or unlocking a new safe/town zone.

journeyman
journeyman
I'm trying to avoid a lot of long rests because it feels like cheating to use those as a healing mechanism after every fight. However, it feels stupid not to rest since it's story related and, well.. people need to sleep.
I wish there would be some sort of indicator that will help me time my rests - for example: night and day cycles, time element to quests, fatigue, story indicators, etc.. anything I can use to tell myself it's ok to take a long rest now.

Last edited by Alon Binyamin; 12/10/20 01:48 PM.
F
journeyman
journeyman
F
I don't want to feel penalize because I used my spells during a fight. I get the slot mechanic where once I am depleted and can't use those spell during the fight. But I look it like this. Any time you go into a fight the enemies start with their attacks and bonus and spells without going to camping. So why shouldn't I?

However it does feel annoying that I have to go through a couple of loading screens just to replenish my spells. So until they come up a better way to replenish spells for spellcasters, I am camping lol.

Last edited by FreshRevenge; 12/10/20 01:49 PM. Reason: missing words.
veteran
veteran
Conversely I don't rest every five minutes because I don't blow my entire load every time I start fighting a couple of critters.I spare big spells and skills for when they are genuinely needed.
I try to rest just ahead of the big, challenging fight or if my whole party is generally in a poor shape.

And yeah, going back to camp, watching the eventual cutscene and loading back to your previous location are already enough to discourage me from doing it unless I feel like I NEED it.

Last edited by Tuco; 12/10/20 01:57 PM.

vel Offline
A big component of P&P D&D is finding a safe place to rest, particularly for casters to concentrate or pray to replenish spells. Spell memorization planning was also important since you didn't know when you'd rest again.

A normal DM would never let you rest in the midst of combat or out in the open in a goblin camp.

I
apprentice
apprentice
I
I tried to rest between bigger areas or when my party was heavily bruised and I'm out of food. Food is quite nice source of missing HP as there is vast amount of it in the game. I use potions only during fights.
About spells, most of the times, cantrips are my main source of actions unless there is harder enemy that requires magic missiles or thunderwave. Also my cleric main focus is to heal whole team with lvl2 spell or single target when needed.
Constant camping feels like cheating, but there should be fatigue for not resting at all. In my first play-through I covered really big part of map without resting as I didn't even knew about passing time.
BG1, BG2, IWD shines here. You can clearly see and feel flow of time and know that your party needs to rest.

D
old hand
old hand
D
In 18 hours ive kept trying to stall camping as much as possible due to the story reasons. Until I ran into the big phase spider queen boss fight. Hoo boy.

I already noticed that camping seemingly dident matter so rested before it and after it. But still no concequences crazy

Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
I've been testing how far I can get without resting and testing out how well you can solo without any companions, currently at level 3 with my Theif Rogue and just finished the Hag fight so I think I'm doing well with not a single rest.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Zaxtaj
I've been testing how far I can get without resting and testing out how well you can solo without any companions, currently at level 3 with my Theif Rogue and just finished the Hag fight so I think I'm doing well with not a single rest.

While I don't doubt that you can generally abuse rest far less than a lot of people are doing here, to be fair the rogue isn't exactly a class heavily dependent on it, in general.

D
old hand
old hand
D
Rests are more necessary for some classes then others. Wizards for example are very weak when not using their spell slots. A fighter on the other hand can do most things well with only a short rest. A Warlock also regains his spell slots upon a short rest etc.

T
addict
addict
T
As little as possible. I make my cantrips do a lot of work and push my HPs with potions, short-rests, second-wind and the like. I am on an Eldritch Knight run at 3rd level right now and I think I may have camped twice...it's possible I've done it three times, but it doesn't feel like it. I don't trust that there's not a clock on the tadpole killing me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard