Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
journeyman
journeyman
D
I have to defend gale. I really much like this character. I think the voicing is brilliant, i like his story, i like the way he talks and behaves.

I only take mechanical issues in him consuming only the strongest of items, that you loot in the story. Really hurts giving him a helmet that can turn you invisible.
You should be able to feed him with generic magical items that you either find or buy. Got a random +2 club from a gnoll that im not going to use anyways. +2 enhancement is pretty strong magic in D&D, especially on low levels. Giving it away is because you want to help him out feels like a fair price to pay.
giving up super special named relics on the other hands just feels punishing.

also, why is it, that im level 4 and have more magical stuff than most shops in big cities have laugh like seriously, level 4 and having easily 20+ magic items plus a s-load of elemental arrows, scrolls and potions? Yo what? magic items are supposed to be rare. I think being level 4 in BG1 i had perhaps 2-3 generic +1 weapons and thats it. In BG it was an actualy thing to kill ankegs to have an ankeg armor crafted wich was essentially a non magical plate.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by UnderworldHades
Originally Posted by CamKitty
Originally Posted by Panicintrinsica
I see everyone here is spectacularly missing the whole point, which is that it is supposed to be inconvenient. It’s not a meaningful choice if there is no cost to the player and you can just keep feeding him +1 items or scrolls. You’re supposed to be annoyed he only wants the good items, and you’re supposed to either deny him and deal with the consequences or make a sacrifice that has legitimate value.

You’re not supposed to like it.

Or, they could design characters that sane DND groups and DMs would even put in parties.

Too many special snowflake characters like every one of them were designed by some 12 year old as their first character

What he said. Not everyone needs to be so special.

Exactly. Right now I feel like I'm back in highschool when we played D&D and most of my party was composed of toxic players just being douches for the sake of it.

As for Gale, he actually is a douche mechanically (by taking away specific items which came as a reward), which is even worse. If the game gave me some time to start caring about him so I really want to save him when he comes up with the eating object thing, I might have reacted differently. But as for now, I barely know the guy, he hasn't shown up extroardinary qualities to him, his backstory is pretty lackluster (you don't know anything about him except being from Waterdeep, yet you know he is a magic addict).

And if I'm not supposed to like it, as you say, why playing it then ? A game shouldn't be a source of self induced pain. I have my real life coworkers for that. Another example of how BG3 can be a very frustrating game.

Last edited by Temperance; 12/10/20 09:25 AM.
S
S
I gotta say, this is an aspect to Gale I NEVER experienced in my whole playthrough where I had him consistently in the party. I didn't do his background reveal until almost the very end though. Is that the trigger for this to start happening?

enthusiast
enthusiast

Or, they could design characters that sane DND groups and DMs would even put in parties.

Too many special snowflake characters like every one of them were designed by some 12 year old as their first character

A vampire spawn, a Githyanki raider and a Human time-bomb walk into a bar...

Necromancy is just recycling...
S
S
Originally Posted by Druid_NPC

A vampire spawn, a Githyanki raider and a Human time-bomb walk into a bar...

About that, the time-bomb didn't make sense to me. I had a very confused IRL reaction when he was explaining that if he died then it went off when there is a very clear series of events that happen when he dies and explodey-boom-death isn't one of them. I hope this gets addressed.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Personally I like this touch. I don't see why story characters can't have something interesting about them.

I honestly don't care much about giving him magic items to eat. I don't think of him as another player at my table, so I don't know about all these comparisons to kids making new characters. So far the game has been giving magic items with unique but not overpowered effects as well, so it hardly seems to make a difference.

Don't like Gale doing this? Then don't feed him. Live with the consequences and move on. It's D&D. Negative effects can and should also be interesting to RP through. (Obviously i'm aware that Larian is big on wargaming tactics compared to RP but the principle remains.).

veteran
veteran
Loot is scarce here? You could have fooled me.
Besides, since I have yet to progress on his questline to see this stuff (Yeah, I've been spoiled on this, my bad for reading...) I'll ask out of curiosity: does he at least get some benefit from "eating" magic items? Or it's just a money sink for the player?

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
F
journeyman
journeyman
F
Originally Posted by DuderusMcRuleric
I have to defend gale. I really much like this character. I think the voicing is brilliant, i like his story, i like the way he talks and behaves.

I only take mechanical issues in him consuming only the strongest of items, that you loot in the story. Really hurts giving him a helmet that can turn you invisible.
You should be able to feed him with generic magical items that you either find or buy. Got a random +2 club from a gnoll that im not going to use anyways. +2 enhancement is pretty strong magic in D&D, especially on low levels. Giving it away is because you want to help him out feels like a fair price to pay.

also, why is it, that im level 4 and have more magical stuff than most shops in big cities have laugh like seriously, level 4 and having easily 20+ magic items plus a s-load of elemental arrows, scrolls and potions? Yo what? magic items are supposed to be rare. I think being level 4 in BG1 i had perhaps 2-3 generic +1 weapons and thats it. In BG it was an actualy thing to kill ankegs to have an ankeg armor crafted wich was essentially a non magical plate.

I like Gale and think he is pretty cool but him repeating the same thing over and over again about his condition after I already gave him the The book of Thay(the evil book). Then I picked up a Sword of Justice and decided to give it to Lae'zel and I go to camp and basically he has the same conversation prompts about him having a condition and that I have to trust him without him telling him all the details. Like did he forget that I gave him a book like a half hour ago lol. Plus that Sword of Justice proved vital when I was fighting Lae'zel's people at the mountain pass.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Tuco
Besides, since I have yet to progress on his questline to see this stuff (Yeah, I've been spoiled on this, my bad for reading...) I'll ask out of curiosity: does he at least get some benefit from "eating" magic items? Or it's just a money sink for the player?

He only accepts some powerful artefacts ( some of the Blue items ). In other words the best gear you could get. Only found 3 items in the entire EA he would accept and there no benefits besides he being happy.

F
journeyman
journeyman
F
Originally Posted by Tuco

He only accepts some powerful artefacts ( some of the Blue items ). In other words the best gear you could get. Only found 3 items in the entire EA he would accept and there no benefits besides he being happy.

I decided to ignore him at the camp when he has an exclamation mark above his head. I just wonder how long he can go without consuming an artefact?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by FreshRevenge

I decided to ignore him at the camp when he has an exclamation mark above his head. I just wonder how long he can go without consuming an artefact?

You can talk to him and just refuse to give an item, he will complain but nothing happens. For now at least.

F
journeyman
journeyman
F
Originally Posted by FreshRevenge

You can talk to him and just refuse to give an item, he will complain but nothing happens. For now at least.

Yeah but refusing him makes him disapprove of your choice. If you don't talk to him he won't disapprove since you didn't talk to him.

S
S
I hope companion interactions and behaviours change in the full release. It is not fun dealing with annoying behaviours of companions. A unique background shouldn't always mean annoying mechanics.
At least, I hope they give us more companion options to chose.

For example, I don't like the vampire spawn being flirty in every interaction. It is not what I am looking for from an DND-like game but I like to have a rogue companion.
Any of you remembering Gascon from Throne Breaker the CDPR game? That character would be a perfect rogue for my playthrough in this game. However, sadly I need to deal with annoying Astarion!

Magic and rare item drop are good imho. In a game of slow progress you need good itemization.

H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H
Originally Posted by DuderusMcRuleric

That was also the case in BG 1. By lv4, you had several magic item on all of your companion. By the end of the game, you were a walking treasure chest.

As for Gayle, its his unique traits. While it may be annoying, it the price to pay to play the wizard. There will be other companions, if you don't like this one.

If it's what it's takes to save the world, then the world doesn't deserves to be saved - Geralt
N
stranger
stranger
N
I think a balanced mechanic would be giving Gale green magical items is good enough to satiate his hunger story-wise, but giving him rare blue/purple items would give Gale some type of bonus to his skills or stats.

D
stranger
stranger
D
I don't mind Gale. I've played a little ways into the game and have chosen to "feed" him. The biggest issue I feel is that I don't get anything out of it. He doesn't get stronger if you feed him, that I've noticed anyway. He doesn't seem to get weaker if you don't feed him. If I'm feeding a mage a powerful relic/2h sword/amulet, I expect some powerful magics in return. Like, more damage on spells, better hit chance, more explodies! Like something. There doesn't seem to be much of a reward for your sacrifice. Unless there is something that occurs later, it just seems like I'm paying a really high price for dialogue options.

veteran
veteran
I had Gale with me on my first playthrough and he never ate anything. He never even started talking about his situation.

Is it because companion progress is tied to long rests and I was trying to rest as little as possible? Because the game and Lae'zel made it clear that resting is bad...

On the second playthrough I was trying the evil route, using the powers and resting to progress that line. And Gale did mention something about this need. He named an item but I have no idea if he ate it or not. It was not shown and he never returned to the subject. Was I supposed to do it manually somehow? I think the basement with the book was bugged and there was fire and explosions everywhere when I got there. I don't think I even had the book. Very unclear.

Last edited by 1varangian; 03/11/20 05:04 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by 1varangian
On the second playthrough I was trying the evil route, using the powers and resting to progress that line. And Gale did mention something about this need. He named an item but I have no idea if he ate it or not. It was not shown and he never returned to the subject. Was I supposed to do it manually somehow? I think the basement with the book was bugged and there was fire and explosions everywhere when I got there. I don't think I even had the book. Very unclear.

If you didn't answer the mirror's questions correctly it can bug out, triggering the fire traps. I had it happen on my first playthrough.

Check your party's inventories, you'll notice the book if you have it (since it has a very distinctive icon). Having the book is only part of what you need though...

journeyman
journeyman
I feel that this, plus the deadly fog that appears whenever he dies is making him one of the most cumbersome companion to have around.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Personally I would tie up gale and put him a barrel before delivering him to the goblin camp. Tick tick BOOM, job done.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard