Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Dear OP.

First let me introduce myself. I'm me. And I have played Dungeons & Dragons since 1976 - in fact we played a sort of live version of D&D even before it was invented.

To be short about BG-3 being BG-3.

WOTC has given Larian permission to make BG-3.
WOTC has a huge saying in what the game will be like.
The game is set in Faerun and is about Baldur's gate. The clue is in that sentence.

And I truly feel sorry for you.

Not just because you are so disappointed that you feel you have to write a load of rubbish, but also because you started playing on a C-64 and then went on to an Amiga.

Talk about bad luck.

Last edited by Ayath The Loafer; 12/10/20 05:25 PM.

Great last words.

Oh no. Not again...
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Dingor
When I saw tiefling-bard singing like Disney's princess I wished for my own BG3 with blackjack and hookers, not that DOS3.

You do realize singing is a thing bards do? I mean, call me crazy but I think music and song and stories are pretty much Bard School 101.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Eguzky
Originally Posted by Dingor
When I saw tiefling-bard singing like Disney's princess I wished for my own BG3 with blackjack and hookers, not that DOS3.

You do realize singing is a thing bards do? I mean, call me crazy but I think music and song and stories are pretty much Bard School 101.

I prefer singing like Priscilla in W3, not some Disney-like songs with birds, trees and etc. It's just my opinion, but it was so off. Minute ago you talking and now she sings and there сinematic that full of clishe...

Last edited by Dingor; 12/10/20 06:07 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I am 100% convinced this is yet another troll post about how this is 'DOS 3'. I'm not going to go, point by point, on how you are wrong, so I'll be concise:

1) Everything you said a bout the rules is wrong. There are no 'BG rules'. It's D&D Rules. And this is 5E. Anyone can multiclass. Spells can miss. D&D is turn based. Clerics have offensive spells.

2) 'Miss' in combat is a catch-all term. Either your spell failed because they rolled to resist, or your ranged touch spell failed to hit their armor class, or your attack failed to hit their armor class. Etc. Any time your offense attack fails to do damage, it's a 'Miss'.

3) You can jump in D&D. You can become Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon. There's the Jump spell, and there's feats to jump higher. Being a Monk, you can, if you build properly, get as high as 90 feet in the air. This is not a 'pure DOS system'.

4) This game is based on D&D 5E. Casters can wear heavy armor if they have heavy armor proficiency. That is in the 5E rules.

5) Critical misses are a thing. So are critical hits.

6) The 'law, lore, and world' is Baldur's gate. It's the land of Faerun (in the Forgotten Realms). It's the city of Baldur's Gate. It's the rules of D&D. BG 1 & 2 are canon events in BG3.

7) We only have the evil party members so far. There are good party members. And there's no real alignment system in D&D anymore. That system was too rigid. Plus, good or evil; you have to work together to not have your brain and soul devoured by a baby mindflayer.

I could go on but the more I read your post, the more I'm convinced this is a bait post. This same stuff has been said, daily, for the past 8 months. And it's been wrong, for the past 8 months.

+4... is it +4? I may have lost the count, ah my female brain.

Anyhow, OP, please use auto-correction or something before you write, put whatever it is you want to write in google translate or something. I have gotten through half of your post before my brain entirely ceased to function. It is REALLY hard to read whatever it is you tried to write. I don't want to be a grammar nazi or anything, but please. I get it, you wanted a replica of BG1 and BG2, but sorry to say, friend, you may be stuck in time, while the world around you seems to have moved on...

Is BG3 perfect as of right now? No, far from it. It's an EA game, filled with all sorts of bugs. But the game is getting there, slowly. Not to mention the entire story isn't even out yet and is not going to be out for another year at least. Just chill.

apprentice
apprentice
Considering the OP claims to have played RPGs since the 80s, he should be at least 35 like me. His command at english is pretty damn bad. In my experience (and I'm chilean) RPG players are all pretty much learned in english, because in the 80s and 90s RPGs didn't even come translated. The thread post reads like a 10 year old rant of someone not even interested in BG3. Well... and I played BG1, 2, TOB, IWD 1/2, NWN, NWN 2, KOTOR 1/2, DA 1/2, ME 1/2/3, Dark Sun, ToEE and so many others, like PF:K and DOS 1-2/PoE1-2, and of course tabletop DnD 2, 3.5 and 4E, and I can safely say... this guy's post isn't even reasonable, understandable or relatable to me.

veteran
veteran
Urgh another trollpost by people who clearly haven't played the game

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Nicottia
I am 100% convinced this is yet another troll post about how this is 'DOS 3'. I'm not going to go, point by point, on how you are wrong, so I'll be concise:

1) Everything you said a bout the rules is wrong. There are no 'BG rules'. It's D&D Rules. And this is 5E. Anyone can multiclass. Spells can miss. D&D is turn based. Clerics have offensive spells.

2) 'Miss' in combat is a catch-all term. Either your spell failed because they rolled to resist, or your ranged touch spell failed to hit their armor class, or your attack failed to hit their armor class. Etc. Any time your offense attack fails to do damage, it's a 'Miss'.

3) You can jump in D&D. You can become Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon. There's the Jump spell, and there's feats to jump higher. Being a Monk, you can, if you build properly, get as high as 90 feet in the air. This is not a 'pure DOS system'.

4) This game is based on D&D 5E. Casters can wear heavy armor if they have heavy armor proficiency. That is in the 5E rules.

5) Critical misses are a thing. So are critical hits.

6) The 'law, lore, and world' is Baldur's gate. It's the land of Faerun (in the Forgotten Realms). It's the city of Baldur's Gate. It's the rules of D&D. BG 1 & 2 are canon events in BG3.

7) We only have the evil party members so far. There are good party members. And there's no real alignment system in D&D anymore. That system was too rigid. Plus, good or evil; you have to work together to not have your brain and soul devoured by a baby mindflayer.

I could go on but the more I read your post, the more I'm convinced this is a bait post. This same stuff has been said, daily, for the past 8 months. And it's been wrong, for the past 8 months.

+4... is it +4? I may have lost the count, ah my female brain.

Anyhow, OP, please use auto-correction or something before you write, put whatever it is you want to write in google translate or something. I have gotten through half of your post before my brain entirely ceased to function. It is REALLY hard to read whatever it is you tried to write. I don't want to be a grammar nazi or anything, but please. I get it, you wanted a replica of BG1 and BG2, but sorry to say, friend, you may be stuck in time, while the world around you seems to have moved on...

Is BG3 perfect as of right now? No, far from it. It's an EA game, filled with all sorts of bugs. But the game is getting there, slowly. Not to mention the entire story isn't even out yet and is not going to be out for another year at least. Just chill.

OP should really sit down, and play the 5e before posting.
+5, also throwing down on the pile, gnolls are indeed spawned from gorged hyenas. It's in Volo's Guide to Monsters however, not in MM.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Bearhugger
also throwing down on the pile, gnolls are indeed spawned from gorged hyenas. It's in Volo's Guide to Monsters however, not in MM.

At one point I did a crap ton of research on Hyenas; they are incredibly intelligent, and have highly sophisticated social structures within their packs. I just now looked up "Volo's" and for heaven's sakes I could reproduce my old write up and it would be both truer to the idea of "hyena" AND a heck of a lot more interesting.

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
Didn't read this because the dude didn't even care for grammar or caps. Certainly not someone I care to listen to.

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
Originally Posted by Ayath The Loafer

And I truly feel sorry for you.

Not just because you are so disappointed that you feel you have to write a load of rubbish, but also because you started playing on a C-64 and then went on to an Amiga.

Talk about bad luck.

Hahaha I had to laugh out loud when I read this laugh

T
apprentice
apprentice
T
The better question is: chocolate ice cream, or New York vanilla with chocolate syrup?

stranger
stranger
What in the actual hell did I just read? Like it makes sense if you squint and tilt your head to the left but tbf why would WOTC and Larian make a game with a outdated non published rule set. It just makes no sense on any point you are trying to stand on, oh and another thing Drow items don't vaporize or turn to dust they just lose their magical properties when they stay in sunlight for to long. But even then I'm sure that has been changed since most if not all of the racial characteristics have changed.

old hand
old hand
Question: Does anyone write closed letters like this to Larian? I hope so.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Ramien
Originally Posted by Usako
Originally Posted by jrf773
I read it four times, or more, I wanted to understand what was being said, and I think I got the gist of it, but I am still not sure. I think it is a Google Translate. Google Translate is horrid at translations.

But I am think the OP is saying that he doesn't like the current iteration of BG3 because it isn't 1E or 2E? I know this is spitballing it, but that is what I got out of it.

There are some grammatical mistakes Google Translate wouldn't make - from what I've seen, OP sounds pretty german (some of his grammatical errors I've seen since forever as I live in Germany, lol) and was just very... immersed in his rant.
Anyways, I don't really get what he wanted to say. It's a typical case of "Er redet viel, aber sagt nichts", which can rougly be translated to "Talking a lot but saying only little" in, not having a lot of meaning/sense to it? Which might be too biased but I legit read that long post and didn't get anything out of it.

The TL;DR version of the post is "BG 1 and 2 were 2nd edition. I don't like 5th edition, so BG3 using 5th edition means it's not BG."

BG3 isn't 5e though. Far from it.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Mijati
iam playing RPG games since 1983..

i know many of u claim

Playing games since 1983...

Using "u"....

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Originally Posted by Ramien
The TL;DR version of the post is "BG 1 and 2 were 2nd edition. I don't like 5th edition, so BG3 using 5th edition means it's not BG."

We should be grateful that he didn't advocate using 4e.

Also, as a AD&D/D&D player since 1980 and one who still occasionally plays BG and BG2, I'll add my + to whatever number we are up to now indicating that the OP is ... misguided in his opinions.

T
stranger
stranger
T
Good to see another person who started on Chainmail. (1978 for me). So as another of the veterans, I second your opinion. So far I love BG3. Not a huge fan of 5e, but it is understandable. Things change.

But it definitely has a D&D feel to me that is very different from Divinity and the variation in approaches to solving problems is definitely very old school...

J
stranger
stranger
J
Ok Mijati,

Rather than quote that entire wall of text again I'll try and address each point in turn.

If Larian did what you asked and used the 2nd Edition rules, those rules have been out of print for 22 years. Most D&D players today are younger than that and either grew up with 3.5 edition or picked up 5th edition in the last few years. Most BG-3 players, I suspect, come from previous Larian/Obsidian/Bioware titles and have limited knowledge of any D&D rules. So why would Larian implement a rules set over 2 decades obsolete?

Also, BG-3 is not a continuation of the Bhaalspawn storyline.

Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 were set in 1369-1374 DR. Baldur's Gate 3 is set over 100 years later. A lot has happened to the Realms, much of it bad*, and the Sword Coast has changed massively since then. For starters Eilistraree and Llolth fought a war for control of the drow. While Eilistraee ultimately failed, many drow had their Seldarine curse lifted and sought the surface. The Drow in general are now far less penalised by being on the surface.

Even if none of that had happened the Seldarine drow, led by Qilue Veladorn, have existed and been around since the beginning. Heck, Dambrath is a whole surface realm of the Utter East populated by a matriarchal tribe of half-drow called the Crinti.

[*both IG and IRL-- I'm looking at you, 2008 4th edition soft reboot fail.]

journeyman
journeyman
I love the Divinity series, and I love how Larian have incorporated a lot of what I love into BG3 - therefore, I couldn't disagree with you more smile

.i.
K
stranger
stranger
K

gnolls, are not a pruduct of a dead hyenna.

I am quoting from D&D 5E Monster Manual, p. 162: "In much the same way Yeenoghu created the first gnolls, a hyena that feasts on a fang's slain foe undergoes a horrible transformation, becoming a full-grown adult gnoll."

This is what they were trying to depict. The hyenas ate the flesh of the dead humans that were slaughtered by the gnolls, amongst them also a gnoll fang of Yeenoghu, and so they underwent the transformation. It's not just a dead hyena, there is a demonic influence involved.

BG series lore

Such a thing as Baldur's Gate Series lore does not really exist. It is the Forgotten Realms lore which is established by D&D rulebooks, novels set in the Forgotten Realms (e.g. from R. A. Salvatore) and official videogames such as Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, etc. Likewise this game's story will become part of the official Forgotten Realms lore.

like the letter from volo to elminister ( what could not be possible because of the timeline larian talked about )

Elminster is still alive. He is one of the most powerful wizards - if not the most powerful wizard - in the Forgotten Realms and a chosen one of Mystra, the goddess of magic and she keeps him alive.

Last edited by kathi1212; 13/10/20 04:45 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard