Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Originally Posted by Zahhibb

Larian want to create a modern take of a old-school RPG IP with modern graphics and modern, streamlined game design principles. Not so hard to understand to be honest.

what are you talking about? DnD5e (wich that game is supposed to be based on) is from 2015. The rule set is pretty modern. BG1 and BG2 were based on AD&D (alias 2nd edition) and yes those rules were very old. And bad tbh.
I would also not want to have that back. But its not the issue that BG3 is not based on 2nd edition DnD, is it?

And its very much possible to create a modern looking good graphic RPG that for the most part follows the mechanics of a modern pen and paper. see pathfinder kingmaker.

Last edited by DuderusMcRuleric; 12/10/20 05:31 PM.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Yawning Spider
I have neither played BG1-2 or PoE

This is all you needed to say.

This shouldn't have to be a prerequisite to have opinions on something new vs old.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by DuderusMcRuleric

Larian want to create a modern take of a old-school RPG IP with modern graphics and modern, streamlined game design principles. Not so hard to understand to be honest.

what are you talking about? DnD5e (wich that game is supposed to be based on) is from 2015. The rule set is pretty modern. BG1 and BG2 were based on AD&D (alias 2nd edition) and yes those rules were very old. And bad tbh.
I would also not want to have that back. But its not the issue that BG3 is not based on 2nd edition DnD, is it?

And its very much possible to create a modern looking good graphic RPG that for the most part follows the mechanics of a modern pen and paper. see pathfinder kingmaker.

I'm kind of lost here? I'm not arguing against this new take, on the contrary I for one feel how BG1-2 (from what I've seen) were designed was not streamlined at all, and was like almost all RPGs at that time hard to get into for the general public.

I have also seen people argue about which DnD ruleset are being used, but I can't really say much about that either since I've only recently gotten into 5e. My point being was only that games today are made for/linked to the rulesets and design of today since gaming in general have become more open.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Yawning Spider
I have neither played BG1-2 or PoE

This is all you needed to say.

This shouldn't have to be a prerequisite to have opinions on something new vs old.

You're making claims about something you have never experienced. It would be ridiculous to walk out of Phantom Menace and say "Well compared to the old Star Wars movies I never saw, this was way better." I can't imagine what makes you think that's appropriate to do with a game or tabletop rule set. You even admit you have limited experience with 5E and (very likely) none with AD&D. So you just have zero context with which to discuss whether or not BG3 fits the series or represents a more or less well-designed transposition of tabletop mechanics.

Ex: It's utterly meaningless for you to call a game's design "not streamlined at all" when you haven't even played the game. It's just noise.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by DuderusMcRuleric

Its a good fantasy RPG, but it has not much to do with DnD.

Like fine, go for another take on DOS. It was a great game. It really was. But dont make a DnD game if you do not want to make a DnD game.

Just see Kingmaker. Pathfinder is way more complex than dnd5e. they had to make adjustments. Invisibility and flying work differently, flanking works differently. But overall, that game is clearly a PC adaptation of the pen and paper game. The focus is on the pathfinder rules, and when necessary, they diviated. In BG3 right now the DnD Rules are a rough shape of you characters, but many important mechanics are DOS mechanics, not DnD mechanics.

I completely disagree with you here. I played BG3 with the PHB in my hand comparing the rules and they did not change the rules that much. Aside from the cantrips and the disengage action, I honestly don't see that many changes that are relevant. Furthermore, I think that BG3 is one of the best implementations of D&D rules for video games. For example, compare Neverwinter Nights with BG3, BG3 implements D&D way more precisely. Even PF:K, which I have played extensively (600hrs), they do change a lot of rules, you mentioned some but there are more, such as no favorite class bonuses, you can't dismiss spells, skills are very limited, and so on and so forth. Not to mention that these games are RtwP, not how D&D is meant to be played. The only game that I would say that is a better adaptation than BG3 is the ToEE.

While I agree that some adaptations should be reworked, such as cantrips and the Jump action, I think that many opinions on this forum are contaminated with D:OS II. People played it and now they are looking for signs of D:OS II everywhere. In other words, people are just being nitpicking because compared to other games, BG3 is not a bad adaptation of D&D at all. I haven't played D:OS II, maybe that is why I don't see that many changes to the D&D ruleset (in which I have some experience).

journeyman
journeyman
Out of curiosity, did you play Solasta?

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
I see threads like this and I think to myself...

Did people want Mass Effect 2 not not be called mass effect because of the overhaul that was the gameplay?

"Mass Effect was about being able to cast all my abilities and they all have separate cooldowns and I have unlimited ammo!"

Well they changed that didn't they?

BG 3 is going really well so far and I'm having lots of fun (except for those Dice rolls of 3 when the goal was 5, 4, 14 in convos.

I'm also playing BG-1, while I appreciate the RP aspect I also think it is very punishing, even more punishing than BG 3 right now. I wanted to explore a lot in Chapter 1. I lost my companions. I didn't actually know they'd leave. So now I gotta travel to Nashkel without the 4 companions I recruited. Randomly run into 4 kobold archers without those companions. *Die* try going around, ran into Hobgoblins with archers and fighters. *Die from crits* Go around the entire area into a different map. Run into crazy necromancer. *Die*

I don't get why people are so against the feeling of BG 3 when it does almost the exact same thing as the beginning of BG 1. Recruit some companions that have different motivations, do anything they don't like and they complain about it/leave. Playing the way I want to play and how I want to Rp is not very rewarding in BG-1 so far. I don't know. Maybe I'm playing wrong?

Anyone have tips for BG-1?

Last edited by SecondAchaius; 14/10/20 05:26 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by SecondAchaius
Anyone have tips for BG-1?

Stinking Cloud

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by CrestOfArtorias
Out of curiosity, did you play Solasta?

Just the demo some time ago, why?

stranger
OP Offline
stranger

Did people want Mass Effect 2 not not be called mass effect because of the overhaul that was the gameplay?

Please read my original post, I think you got it wrong.

As for ME, I definitely would not call ME2 an "overhaul" in terms of combat/gameplay. I would call ME changes dumbing down the game and an early indication of what was to come to Bioware. And you don't need to take my word for it, just look at recent Bioware titles and their current situation.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Gabriel AT I
also agree that the implementation of the D&D ruleset could be further improved, D:OS mechanics should be toned down, and having a larger party would be great. No, I don't want RtwP - this was a limitation of BG and BG2 IMO. But other than that the game is awesome. Keep up the good work.

That's pretty fun because I really think your dreams would become reality if what you write here became part of the game^^

(And a more specific/less random UI)

Last edited by Maximuuus; 14/10/20 05:50 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by Gabriel AT

Please read my original post, I think you got it wrong.

As for ME, I definitely would not call ME2 an "overhaul" in terms of combat/gameplay. I would call ME changes dumbing down the game and an early indication of what was to come to Bioware. And you don't need to take my word for it, just look at recent Bioware titles and their current situation.

i get what ya meant! Lmao I just kept reading the others that actually thought they should change the name.

It's a travesty what happened to the Bioware Studio. All these games and worlds that could've been classical for DECADES. Down the drain.

I personally think ME2 was a bit of an overhaul (though it was dumbed down) and it worked great. For Mass Effect. The others....not so much.

F
journeyman
journeyman
F
The "this isn't Baldur's Gate 3" trolls will go away with time. No need to give into their irrational demands to change the title just because it doesn't fit their poorly defined idea of a Baldur's Gate game. It's about as ridiculous as any D&D fans saying 5e isn't D&D because it's different than earlier editions. Ignore them like you should and they'll grow up.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard