Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
V
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
V
Can we please get a Dev to weigh in on this? I understand it not being available in EA, somewhat, but will we be able to take our characters from one game to another? This is something that makes D&D very popular. I love the idea of replaying with a higher level character or helping friends in their playthroughs with weapons and items I gathered during my playthroughs. I feel this is what made BG1&2 so popular is it allowed even more builds and fun as you could create an entire party of your veteran characters. Can you just let us know where this is with the DEV team and let us know?

veteran
veteran
None of that is not going to happen at all.

A character's relationship with other characters is tied to the choices that character made. You cannot swap in characters around without it breaking. Higher level characters dropping in breaks the combat balance.

D
stranger
stranger
D
Originally Posted by Stabbey

A character's relationship with other characters is tied to the choices that character made. You cannot swap in characters around without it breaking. Higher level characters dropping in breaks the combat balance.

Others games have done it, including BG 1 and 2 and it does not break anything. And the relationships and choices there are as important if not much more.

People who do that know that the game will be easier.

I hope Larian chose to include it eventually, although it is not something that exists until now in their games.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Darthmansour
Others games have done it.

Other games are designed in different ways with different systems.

V
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
V
Others games have done it.

Other games are designed in different ways with different systems.

I do not understand this thing you guys have with combat balances and higher level characters. Do you not think there will be mods or cheat debuffs or cheat engines dedicated to this game? I know the amount of cheats and mods out there for DOS2 is staggering. So please get over yourself. BG1&2 did this easily as did NWN, Icewind Dale and a plethora of countless other games. My programmer friends are all telling me how super easy this would be as it would just isolate the character, level, skills, and items. Hell you can do character transfers with the WWE games. So other than to troll my post, with an uneducated sentiment, what was the purpose of your post? What "system" are you referring to that cannot isolate character data? What programming school did you attend where "none of this is going to happen at all"? Seeing as how this was a very vocal disappointment In DOS2 and something you can do in Deadfire, I would really rather here someone from Larian say this isnt going to happen, than for someone who clearly doesnt understand basic programming to comprehend.

veteran
veteran
What "other games" did is completely irrelevant. This game's systems are programmed in a way that ties choices and consequences by characters to the specific campaign. Decisions you make have consequences in the world. For instance, tell a Tiefling she should get revenge, and her body appears elsewhere in the world later, you can walk to it without a single loading screen in-between.

Larian attempts to program their games around systems which always work, instead of needing to code custom exceptions all over the place which work in one spot and one spot only. Don't make assumptions about the knowledge of other people, just because you don't like the answer you're getting.

Last edited by Stabbey; 12/10/20 07:03 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Just don't get upset, whatever "answers" you get from us players, but wait for Larian to have the final say. In words or actions, or both.

And one way or another many "good" or "bad" changes will find way through mods later.

Though I like the game as it is, already fun, but mod tools can help it further, removing what each of us finds most annoying (I can't even expect Larian to do that, too many small subjective details, they better make BG4 instead) or things we want in.

W
veteran
veteran
W
What "other games" did is completely irrelevant. This game's systems are programmed in a way that ties choices and consequences by characters to the specific campaign. Decisions you make have consequences in the world. For instance, tell a Tiefling she should get revenge, and her body appears elsewhere in the world later, you can walk to it without a single loading screen in-between.

Larian attempts to program their games around systems which always work, instead of needing to code custom exceptions all over the place which work in one spot and one spot only. Don't make assumptions about the knowledge of other people, just because you don't like the answer you're getting.

There is no reason that Larian couldn’t introduce a character import/export feature that just didn’t have anything to do with character choices.

If you import an existing character into a new game, you have a blank slate. Whatever choices your character previously made don’t matter. If you import into somebody else’s ongoing game, their choices matter, but there is no reason to import your character’s decisions as well.

Last edited by Warlocke; 12/10/20 07:39 PM.
D
stranger
stranger
D

While this discussion is pretty fruitless, again, what you are describing is not unique to Larian and this game, it is obvious you *did not* play other games who do that, and have the option to export and import chars, like the original BG games. consequences and all the examples you gave is something rather common and not unique to Larian at all, BG had it, Dragon age had it, many Bioware games had it.

And still, some of these games found a good way to include importing and exporting chars. I do not understand, as you are not a dev or a representative of Larian, where your absolute confidence and rejections comes from. And concerning the reasons and other games (that have exactly the same philosophy and system, and until now have handled the issue of deep consequences muchhh better then say DOS 2) you are defnintly wrong.
actually, come to think of it, until now Larian games were rather much weaker then aother games in regards to consequences, relationship between chars and such.

I hope that either Larian will see that many people want it and add it, or like Lonesky said, some moder will find the way.

and exactly what warlock said, took the words out of my mouth.

Last edited by Darthmansour; 12/10/20 07:32 PM.
V
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
V

Youre not giving an answer, you are commenting on things you clearly dont know anything about. Just your guess. Its trolling. The game doesnt make world decisions around importing or exporting a character. I can already create a new character in a friends game. So its just annoying hearing people who have no clue butt in a conversation without actual knowledge.

veteran
veteran
You'll be waiting a long time for an answer, but if they do respond, don't expect the gist of it to be a lot different. And don't come in here, post three times, then accuse others of being a troll because you don't like the answer.

A
stranger
stranger
A
+1

I'd love to see this implemented and there are various examples of other RPGs who have put in similar systems. I can see there being some balancing issues for Larian to consider if you're no longer starting at level 1 but I can't see any specific reason why it would impossible for them to put in.

D
D

Others games have done it, including BG 1 and 2 and it does not break anything. And the relationships and choices there are as important if not much more.

People who do that know that the game will be easier.

I hope Larian chose to include it eventually, although it is not something that exists until now in their games.

BG1 and BG2 had far less complexity in the design of the game, along with the ways various things tie together, including decisions you make, approval of companions, etc. Stabbey is completely correct that what other games did are irrelevant, I'd be willing to bet those games also don't carry the complexity that this game contains in regards to the various branches that impact everything around you. Because most don't.

V
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
V
Well I feel with what I have read on the DOS2 forums, it's a feature people want. I think it will turn off a huge amount of people in the fan base to know that once again, they cant import a character to a friends game in a Larian Game. I have 3 D&D groups I play with on a regular basis and they refuse to buy this until it gets answered. Its a big deal to a lot of people. I understand you have your opinions, but you presented them in this hostile way. You dont even understand how the function works and you still felt the need to reply a basic "nah-uh". Youre not giving an answer that im upset with. Youre spouting an opinion with ZERO knowledge. People listed several games with the import/export feature, but you feel the need to speak up for Larian, before they confirm or deny, just to deny. I dont need to prepare myself if the feature isnt offered as it will just be a single play through title with one character. But if they have the feature, then im playing every race, every class. So yes I posted several time, as did you, to MY post about a feature I want. You felt the need to come in and troll the post for no reason, because you dont understand technology.

V
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
V
My final word on this though is a clear misunderstanding on your end of how this works. Im not taking my character away from my game. I am making a copy of my character and putting it in a new game, where all these world binding decisions you keep referencing, havent happened. What about playing with a friend in a new game. If my friend, well my wife, is making the decisions and im not saying anything in regards to them (which is currently how it works) how am I bound to that world?

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard