Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Is it true they will adding other companions in time a 6th or maybe 7th?

journeyman
journeyman
I hope so, but am not holding my breath. It would be nice to have at least two companions for each basic role so that we don't have to feel like one is forced upon us if we don't want to cover that role with the custom PC.

On the other hand, with all the work that goes into creating a companion and the side stories for each, I can understand keeping the numbers low.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
More companions would greatly enhance this game. So far, all the companions are great! But if this is all we have to choose from, then the game will always feel the same each time we play through it. There needs to be more options of companions to choose from, with greater diversity of personality and alignment.

K
stranger
stranger
K
At least one more female character, I hope. And also some dwarf or halfling.

old hand
old hand
I don't see why there wont be more 'non - origin' companions, ones that will be recruitable after Act 1.

U
apprentice
apprentice
U
It would be great to have one companion for every class!
I like them all (started out hating Astarion but came to like him once I played!) but it would be great to have more. smile

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Usako
It would be great to have one companion for every class!
I like them all (started out hating Astarion but came to like him once I played!) but it would be great to have more. smile

Pro tip - running water kills Astarion.

addict
addict
As far as confirmed info goes, at the bare minimum we're getting two or three more companions. At least one per class would be awesome.

journeyman
journeyman
They said there's a bunch of "good" companions in the wings. The Tiefling near the Paladins by the river looks to be a future companion. You have dialog to ask her to join your party (she refuses and says mee me later in Balder's Gate)

Since this is the "Evil" playthrough and the current companions are of evil and chaotic alignments then we at least need an equal number of Good companions. I mean, if I was playing a Paladin then none of these companions could work in that party.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by vyvexthorne
Since this is the "Evil" playthrough and the current companions are of evil and chaotic alignments then we at least need an equal number of Good companions. I mean, if I was playing a Paladin then none of these companions could work in that party.

On a side note, I would love a paladin companion who sees through Wyll’s pretense and false righteousness. I would totally travel in that party just to wait for the powder keg to go off.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Warlocke
Originally Posted by vyvexthorne

On a side note, I would love a paladin companion who sees through Wyll’s pretense and false righteousness. I would totally travel in that party just to wait for the powder keg to go off.

Hehe. That *does* sound fun. wink

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by kanisatha

I liked it when feuds would boil over in time in BG1&2 but given that this game forces you to lock in companions after act 1 that would be miserable. You could use hirelings, I guess, but being down 1-2 companions in a 4 person party would still suck.

Although if we're stuck with just 1 or 2 more characters than what we've seen so far I'll be using hirelings for my party anyway.

Originally Posted by Deemer

I liked it when feuds would boil over in time in BG1&2 but given that this game forces you to lock in companions after act 1 that would be miserable. You could use hirelings, I guess, but being down 1-2 companions in a 4 person party would still suck.

Although if we're stuck with just 1 or 2 more characters than what we've seen so far I'll be using hirelings for my party anyway.

I also love that companions could romance each other... (Well at least Haer'Dalis and Aerie could) Since I've never actually liked being in romances in video games I've never experienced the love triangle and subsequent outcome of that but that's an amazing thing to put in a game as well. I too am worried about the whole "choose your final party" thingy. The only way I can see it working is that at some point after act 1 you can make your own custom party members in case things go sideways with your current party. .. but that makes the whole point of choosing a final party kind of pointless. Well, at any rate I guess it'll be interesting to see how it all works when the game is finalized. At the moment I feel like there's going to be so many changes that it won't be anything like what we are currently playing.

Last edited by vyvexthorne; 12/10/20 06:12 PM.
T
journeyman
journeyman
T
God I hope so... and at least one or two of the classic characters need to make a return.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Deemer

I was only commenting on the fun of what @Warlocke suggested.

I am very much in the camp of utterly disliking most of these first batch of companions. I would not want Shadowheart, Lae'zal, Astarion, or Wyll in my good-aligned party, leaving only Gale as a possible companion. And I am equally adamant about saying 'no' to generic hirelings. I want only fully fleshed-out companions. And, I fully expect there will at least be a mod to increase party size to six, and that will be a "never play without it" mod for me. So, I am currently short four companions in my party. Let's see if Larian can give me four more companions I will like, though I'm not holding my breath on this happening. As such, things are not looking fun/enjoyable--or even just viable--for me.

I must say I changed my opinion on Shadowheart, much to my own surprise. She's well fleshed out and, I suspect, redeemable.

As for Astarion, I do not know what triggers me the most, if the fact he's an evil vampire spawn, or an elf that doesn't act like an elf at all, or an evil elf vampire spawn who doesn't act like an elf.

S
stranger
stranger
S
[quote=Sechrima]More companions would greatly enhance this game. So far, all the companions are great! But if this is all we have to choose from, then the game will always feel the same each time we play through it. There needs to be more options of companions to choose from, with greater diversity of personality and alignment.[/quote]

Are you playing the same game as me sure the companion choice is limited and I wouldn't say no to more, but even using the same companions you have different builds for each one an Arcane Trickster will give a different dynamic than a Thief same applies to a Eldritch Knight vs a Battlemaster throw in feat choices and things diverge further. Chuck in the random element of dialogue persuasion checks, in my 10 or so runs through the druid grove I've only ever saved the girl twice. There is a tonne of replayability.

What I would like to see is the ability to hire NPCs into your party blank slate so you can build custom groups rather than fleshed out full blown companions.

Originally Posted by Goldberry
As for Astarion, I do not know what triggers me the most, if the fact he's an evil vampire spawn, or an elf that doesn't act like an elf at all, or an evil elf vampire spawn who doesn't act like an elf.

I can't agree more. Astarion would make alot more sense based upon his personality and behavior as a half-elf or a human. Hell, Astarion would make more sense behavior-wise as a halfling than as a full-bloodied elf.

Originally Posted by AnonySimon
Originally Posted by Goldberry

I can't agree more. Astarion would make alot more sense based upon his personality and behavior as a half-elf or a human. Hell, Astarion would make more sense behavior-wise as a halfling than as a full-bloodied elf.

I bitched about Astarion and Shadowheart as soon a they were announced, both the elven options leaning towards evil when they should be leaning towards chaotic good. No matter, I gave them a fair chance. My party is Shadowheart, Astarion and Gale, and while I very much enjoy Shadowheart, Astarion is just a major disappointment as an elf.

I do think that the companions are all well written though, to be honest. I'm just really into elves, and in this game they seem to be nothing but another human variant.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard