Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#690403 12/10/20 08:56 AM
Rouoko Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm currently on level 5 and going to wipe goblin city. But I never bought anything from vendor. Do you have this same issue? Those weapons don't look interesting at all. Sword that give +1 dmg for 2300 gold? It is overpriced and that +1 for dmg is nothing because msot of time you have 50-70% hit chance.

S
stranger
stranger
S
The plus one also applies to Attack Rolls and so should also increase your Hit Chance.

To answer the original question though, nah. I've stuck with everything I've found so far and it's been just fine

Rouoko Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh I dodn't know because that +1 is writen after dices. So I assume that it is +1 to rolled damage. So that make them worth more but still 2300 for sword +1 is little overprinced, and reputation for vendors don't works for me. I give them stuff for around 2k and they say nothing and don't drop they prices!

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
it´s the problem with all the other bonuses you get for free.
a +1 sword is usually a great thing. your "maximum" to hit unbuffed on level 3 is mostly +5 on attacks. getting another +1 on that is really good.
however in the game you get advantage all the time. advantage is about equal to a +5 to hit, so a +1 weapon is not as valuable anymore in that context

Rouoko Offline OP
OP Offline
Tel lthat to my Fighter when my mage is out of spells because he use them on big ogre, and my archer cannot hit any one because is blind(17% hit chance), so my warrior is running like cheeta, jumping and one hitting everything if he hits it. But having only 17% chance because enemy is inside cave where is no light(I still have no idea how to put torche on fire).

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Originally Posted by DuderusMcRuleric
it´s the problem with all the other bonuses you get for free.
a +1 sword is usually a great thing. your "maximum" to hit unbuffed on level 3 is mostly +5 on attacks. getting another +1 on that is really good.
however in the game you get advantage all the time. advantage is about equal to a +5 to hit, so a +1 weapon is not as valuable anymore in that context

Not to mention the first weapon I found with an effect was a spear that gives me advantage on attack rolls against enemies I missed on the previous attack, which is pretty freaking good. All the equipment you find is already as good as if not better than a +1 weapon

Rouoko Offline OP
OP Offline
I don't like that speak, it have really low dmg dice. And I miss with that item twice in row. My two-handed sword is best but I perefer mabe axes but they have this same skill frown

Last edited by Rouoko; 12/10/20 09:15 AM.
D
old hand
old hand
D
I bought a few pieces of armor and things like boots and bracers which you dont seem to find as loot for some reason.

But yeah. Prices are crazy overinflated. Even for mundane items...

enthusiast
enthusiast
I bought a plus one shortbow when I first got to the enclave out of an abundance of caution. I remember BG having those mandatory encounters where you would face enemies who could only be hurt by magical weapons, and or only damaged by mundane weapons, and thought it would be better to have it than not despite the fact it bankrupted me at the time just because it was the first magical item I had seen and did not care to get hung up later.

It was a waste, but its just EA not as though it is a real game.

journeyman
journeyman
You can level to 5?! And a +1 sword was 2000+ gold?!!!

Huh. I seem capped at 4 and +1's cost me less than 1000gold. I know Bards aren't an option yet, so play a rogue?

Last edited by seikojin; 12/10/20 06:08 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Honestly, economy is kind of jacked in the game. Sell to a vendor, only to have to kill them later. There apparently is a death tax, because those same vendors had nothing on them coin wise, that they had when they were shortchanging you for your goods. But at least you can recycle what you sold them a few times over for their real value. laugh

M
M
Originally Posted by seikojin
You can level to 5?! And a +1 sword was 2000+ gold?!!!

Huh. I seem capped at 4 and +1's cost me less than 1000gold. I know Bards aren't an option yet, so play a rogue?

The level cap is 4, but you can get the experience required for level 5.
+1 costs vary a lot depending on what type of weapon it is, the difference between a +1 Short Sword and a +1 Great Sword would be massive.

On a side note, you can craft a +1 weapon in the Blighted Village using bark you find west of the Myconid Colony in the Underdark which has an added effect of Silencing enemies on hit.

Last edited by Mxiio; 12/10/20 06:17 PM.
Rouoko Offline OP
OP Offline
I got level 4 before goblin city... best 2h weapon was hammer from Goblin warchief. Best rapier I foudn was +1, best armor is starting armor.

Last edited by Rouoko; 12/10/20 07:23 PM.
stranger
stranger
There is also the Point that a +1 Weapon, gets +1 by a magical enchantment, this also means the weapon it self is magical.

Imps for example have resistence to fire... AND nonmagical Damage. If you fight these 10HP imps Lv 1 you are not rolling poorly. They are just resistent to your damage.
Later you will probably meet Werewolfs, Ghosts and Vampires that are completly immun to nonmagical damage.

So a magical weapon is important.
Additionally a Lv 4 Character with 16 str for example.

He gets +3 from strenght, and +2 from Profiency. That means as a total he has a +5 to hit. With a Sword thats a 20% greater Hitchance.
Additinally you get "Multiattack" at Level 5 Combined with Haste Potion and Actionsurge its not just 1 extra Damage per turn, its +5 Damage...so jeah it really adds up.

In Normal DnD +2 Swords are basicly some of the best weapons you are normally likely to find, unless you get some epic story sword.

Rouoko Offline OP
OP Offline
But sword +1 or +2 don't sound epic so this is bad for selling game.

enthusiast
enthusiast
uuuuug percentaaaages blaaaah. okay line up D&D class

it's not percentage in D&D nor in this game despite what that bullshit % stands for, it's a lie straight up.

Way it works is like this.

Your target has an armor class 10+armor score+dex (maybe heavy armor doesn't count dex, and some medium armors limit the dex modifier.)

Say your enemy has an AC of 15 (pretty standard from looking at everything in combat log)

So you roll a d20 and have to either tie or beat that 15 (1's fail automatically, 20's always hit for double the damage)

If you have the mentioned +3 to strength, and +2 to profiency for a total of +5 your only need to roll a 10 or above to hit.

add a +1 weapon now you need only roll a 9 or higher to hit.

Now if your unlucky and can't get a good roll your screwed which is why the % is a lie.

With advantage your rolling twice doubling your chance of getting what you need.

with disadvantage your rolling twice aaaand halving the chances of getting what you need.

So +1's are rather handy to further lower the number that you need in order to hit. And sometimes that is a woooorld of difference especially if enemy has an AC of 18 meaning you only have three numbers that will result in a hit, or if there AC is over 20. meaning unless you roll a 20 your not going to hit.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Rouoko
I'm currently on level 5 and going to wipe goblin city. But I never bought anything from vendor. Do you have this same issue? Those weapons don't look interesting at all. Sword that give +1 dmg for 2300 gold? It is overpriced and that +1 for dmg is nothing because msot of time you have 50-70% hit chance.

I stole literally everything from every merchant, sometimes twice on the restock. 20,000 gold and like 20 weapons, 90+% which I couldnt use because its all 2h martial

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by clavis

it's not percentage in D&D nor in this game despite what that bullshit % stands for, it's a lie straight up.

Which is still a percentage. Unless you are claiming that the entire field of probability is a lie? Pretty much the very first lesson you will ever get on probability, will begin with a 6 sided dice.

Your target has an armor class 10+armor score+dex (maybe heavy armor doesn't count dex, and some medium armors limit the dex modifier.)

Say your enemy has an AC of 15 (pretty standard from looking at everything in combat log)

So you roll a d20 and have to either tie or beat that 15 (1's fail automatically, 20's always hit for double the damage)

If you have the mentioned +3 to strength, and +2 to profiency for a total of +5 your only need to roll a 10 or above to hit.

So you need to roll 10, 11,12...19, 20 to hit. There are 11 possible successful outcomes. 11/20 = 0.55, or more conveniently, 55% chance.

Now if your unlucky and can't get a good roll your screwed which is why the % is a lie.

Up to 60% chance here. Getting unlucky has no effect on this, unless you are arguing that it is a biased dice?

With advantage your rolling twice doubling your chance of getting what you need.

with disadvantage your rolling twice aaaand halving the chances of getting what you need.

With Advantage, your chance of success is 1-Chance of failing twice in a row, which is 1-x^2. In the example above, with a 40% chance to fail, thats 1-0.4^2, or 84% chance to succeed. The only time advantage "doubles" the chance of getting what you want is when you have a 50% chance to hit. If it is less than 50% chance, it is less than double and if it is more than a 50% chance, it is more than doubled. The same goes for disadvantage.

So +1's are rather handy to further lower the number that you need in order to hit. And sometimes that is a woooorld of difference especially if enemy has an AC of 18 meaning you only have three numbers that will result in a hit, or if there AC is over 20. meaning unless you roll a 20 your not going to hit.

It adds a 5% chance to hit.

veteran
veteran
Nope, but to be fair I never did buy anything even in the old BG games, either. Except some powerful end-game artifacts way late into the game.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Sharp

Which is still a percentage. Unless you are claiming that the entire field of probability is a lie? Pretty much the very first lesson you will ever get on probability, will begin with a 6 sided dice.

So you need to roll 10, 11,12...19, 20 to hit. There are 11 possible successful outcomes. 11/20 = 0.55, or more conveniently, 55% chance.

Up to 60% chance here. Getting unlucky has no effect on this, unless you are arguing that it is a biased dice?

With Advantage, your chance of success is 1-Chance of failing twice in a row, which is 1-x^2. In the example above, with a 40% chance to fail, thats 1-0.4^2, or 84% chance to succeed. The only time advantage "doubles" the chance of getting what you want is when you have a 50% chance to hit. If it is less than 50% chance, it is less than double and if it is more than a 50% chance, it is more than doubled. The same goes for disadvantage.

It adds a 5% chance to hit.

When you put it into percentage form it leads to a false conclusion being drawn by those that don't understand it's based off dice. They see only the % and think oh I can't miss, or I can't hit. Which means in this case the % is a lie.

In the case of % on actual dice I personally rolling with disadvantage rolled 3 20's, an 18, a 17, the rest of my 30 or so odd rolls were all with modifiers added under 12 by going with percentage I should of been able to pass those skill checks at least 50% of the time, I failed every single one. My dm can barely hit any party member including the ones who have an AC of 12, yet can hit my AC 18 cleric/fighter nearly every time. He is known for his horrible rolls in every game he plays, his wife on the other hand I have yet seen fail. She has repeatedly rolled natural 20's in a roll. A guy on youtube Will Weaton has literally the worst luck on rolling, the call it the Weaton Curse. So in placing a % when it comes to dice it leads to false belief, and false beliefs are a lie. Far simpler to show the AC of the creature.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard