Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#691988 12/10/20 08:33 PM
C
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
C
So I’ve played EA for I dunno maybe 8 hours or so, and I’m already level 4. Progression speed feels pretty good.

But I know I’ve heard Larian say that level 10 would be the max level. And I’m thinking, if I’m already level 4 after like 8 hours, then that means there won’t be much progression at all for the majority of the game.

I really feel like it may be better to push max level past 10...I feel like having only 6 levels of progression in 50-60 hours of gameplay is going to feel really sluggish.

Thoughts?

V
journeyman
journeyman
V
I think they said its going to be 11 now, which is a Tier 3 character. That is a perfect place to end until DLC or expansion. 3 hit dice for each cantrip, 3 attacks for fighters. Level 6 spells for most spell casters.

C
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
C
Originally Posted by Vekkares
I think they said its going to be 11 now, which is a Tier 3 character. That is a perfect place to end until DLC or expansion. 3 hit dice for each cantrip, 3 attacks for fighters. Level 6 spells for most spell casters.

Nice, level 11 is definitely a big level, so much better to end progression there than at 10. I guess as long as they allow you to progress in terms of items and other abilities in between levels, it will feel okay

D
D
They mentioned the level cap has been raised above 10 but have not yet mentioned what that is, I suspect they're still trying to figure it out.

W
veteran
veteran
W
They have not mentioned what the new level cap is. I don’t know where people are pulling these numbers from. All we know is more than 10 and less than 20.

My concern is that I don't really feel any different between level ups. I don't know if this is because it's EA or if that's how 5E is, but it just feels like an HP bump and not much else. Combat and leveling hasn't felt very fulfilling for me so far.

veteran
veteran
Very low - I want all those sweet lvl9 spells and boons

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Blade238
My concern is that I don't really feel any different between level ups. I don't know if this is because it's EA or if that's how 5E is, but it just feels like an HP bump and not much else. Combat and leveling hasn't felt very fulfilling for me so far.

It really depends on the class you're playing, but the biggest early game "power bump" for most classes is level 5, which isn't available in EA.

Fighters get multiple attacks, casters get level 3 spells (Fireball!).

Level 3 is a small bump for some classes when they get their subclass, you'd probably mostly feel it on fighter and rogue right now.

--

I'd really like to see at least to 11. Level 9 spells would be...a lot to make work within a videogame.

Last edited by QuietCountryCafe; 12/10/20 08:52 PM.
D
D

I really think the level in EA should have gone to 5 to help with that. It really does depend on the class in a lot of ways, like wizards clearly get more powerful while fighters or thiefs can feel a bit weirdly lacking between levels.

C
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
C

It really depends on what class you’re playing, but generally 5E levels are pretty impactful. Here are some examples:

Full casters get a new level of spells at any odd level.
Fighters get action surge (can take two actions in a turn once per short rest) at level 2
Warlocks get invocations at level 2, agonizing blast invocation greatly increases eldritch blast damage.
Most classes get an archetype at level 3 which is huge.

There’s a lot more than that, you probably just don’t notice this because you’re not familiar with the system.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Level 12 would be ideal. It's enough for another ability score or feat, giving you 2 feats and ability increase (or vice versa). Still leaves plenty of headroom to go from 12 - 20 in BG 4

old hand
old hand
I'd agree with level 12 being much more ideal if Larian would consider that.

journeyman
journeyman
10 as the cap seems suprisingly low given I can't see the DLC raising the cap more then 5 levels

apprentice
apprentice
Cooperative filter in main menu tells that u can filter even 25+ lvls

Don't forget about multiclassing u can be like 10/5/5/5 in diffrent classes.
Hope they don't crash the game totally... more than now

Last edited by Ricardanilevs; 12/10/20 11:42 PM.
A
apprentice
apprentice
A
Originally Posted by DrunkPunk
[quote=Blade238]I really think the level in EA should have gone to 5 to help with that. It really does depend on the class in a lot of ways, like wizards clearly get more powerful while fighters or thiefs can feel a bit weirdly lacking between levels.

Then we probably would have had to wait until December or even 2021. I prefer having the game now and playing it without level 5 over waiting any day.

Larian was really really fast with their development of BG3. Can't complain.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Vekkares

I think they just said it's not 10 anymore because it turns out that they were making too much content to stick with that limit,but I have yet to hear any confirmation of it being 11 now.
If there's anything official I'd like to ask for a link to it.

Still, I can't imagine it going too much above that. If it's not 11 it could be 12, maybe even all the way up to 14 AT MOST. More than that is extremely unlikely.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
K
stranger
stranger
K
The level progression is a bit too fast as of right now, I think. It doesn't quite follow the 5E rules. I had 2,300 XP and was lv. 4, usually you advance to lv. 4 at 2,700 XP. I don't know if they will change that still or that it has to do with balancing. I think the lv. 10 cap has to do with spells. At lv. 11 characters gain access to lv. 6 spells and maybe they were unsure about whether or not to include those. If they do, I think, we can expect the new level cap to be lv. 12.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Slapstick
Level 12 would be ideal. It's enough for another ability score or feat, giving you 2 feats and ability increase (or vice versa). Still leaves plenty of headroom to go from 12 - 20 in BG 4

Please let's not even talk of BG4. I want this one completed and allowing a great experience.

V
journeyman
journeyman
V
I think the 12*-20 is going to be in DLC and expansions. I dont see them making us wait the 3-5 years it will take to make a sequel.

T
T
Depends 1-11 you have this hero journey where you still keep some "normal" aspects to it, you aren't considered a super entity yet. 12-20 is basically you becoming a super saiyan, like a hero that cities will recognize from beyond. So I guess they want to keep the normal standard hero adventure mood for the first part?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard