Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Abits Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I think they have potential to change their ways. It's not a new thing, even in bg2 companions could change alignments. Vioconia was really bad initially. This is a character I remember when I got her thinking what the hell but you could keep her even if you were good and eventually she becomes neutral. So I don't see why shadowheart can't. Spoilers from here - so far I learned that she loves Shar but one significant detail (that is even written in the journal entry) is the fact that she gave up some of her memories. My guess is that those memories will factor in her "alignment shift". I don't see what's wrong with it if it is well written.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Abits
I think they have potential to change their ways. It's not a new thing, even in bg2 companions could change alignments. Vioconia was really bad initially. This is a character I remember when I got her thinking what the hell but you could keep her even if you were good and eventually she becomes neutral. So I don't see why shadowheart can't. Spoilers from here - so far I learned that she loves Shar but one significant detail (that is even written in the journal entry) is the fact that she gave up some of her memories. My guess is that those memories will factor in her "alignment shift". I don't see what's wrong with it if it is well written.

Funny enough, Viconia switch to worship Shar from Loth (she is a terribly written cleric of Shar by the way) and her alignment shift is kinda bullshit. It's there because of people like you, who wants to keep a cool looking char in the party, but can't stand they complains all the time when the party reputation reach 20...

Shadowheart is already more "true neutral" than "neutral evil" anyway. She's more annoyed about breaking neutrality than good vs evil choices. And she is a properly written Shar cleric (they are a very secretive bunch).

Abits Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by azarhal

Funny enough, Viconia switch to worship Shar from Loth (she is a terribly written cleric of Shar by the way) and her alignment shift is kinda bullshit. It's there because of people like you, who wants to keep a cool looking char in the party, but can't stand they complains all the time when the party reputation reach 20...

Shadowheart is already more "true neutral" than "neutral evil" anyway. She's more annoyed about breaking neutrality than good vs evil choices. And she is a properly written Shar cleric (they are a very secretive bunch).

Again, as someone who is not versed in forgotten realms lore I judge characters based on what they do in the game, not what they're supposed to do based on rules of imaginary universe. I get why for some people the original lore is important, I suppose it's for the same reason it's important to a Harry potter book fan who sees the movie. However, I think a game should stand on its own and the characters should be evaluated based on the quality of their writing. I wouldn't care that a character is written faithfully to the lore if it is a lame character. But it's also why I disagree with the notion that we should judge the characters based on what their character description says.

On a more personal note, I don't think I kept vioconia because she looked cool or some stupid shit like that, and I think it's really pretentious of you to assume to know how I play video games

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
addict
addict

Again, as someone who is not versed in forgotten realms lore I judge characters based on what they do in the game, not what they're supposed to do based on rules of imaginary universe. I get why for some people the original lore is important, I suppose it's for the same reason it's important to a Harry potter book fan who sees the movie. However, I think a game should stand on its own and the characters should be evaluated based on the quality of their writing. I wouldn't care that a character is written faithfully to the lore if it is a lame character. But it's also why I disagree with the notion that we should judge the characters based on what their character description says.

On a more personal note, I don't think I kept vioconia because she looked cool or some stupid shit like that, and I think it's really pretentious of you to assume to know how I play video games

So why did you keep Viconia around if she was evil and you were not? There are other healers and clerics options to pick from in the games. She's not the most interesting one storywise. I don't think she's good written in either BG1 or BG2 (but that goes for most of the characters in those games really). She has a good voice actress, but there isn't much VO.

enthusiast
enthusiast
So why did you keep Viconia around if she was evil and you were not? There are other healers and clerics options to pick from in the games. She's not the most interesting one storywise. I don't think she's good written in either BG1 or BG2 (but that goes for most of the characters in those games really). She has a good voice actress, but there isn't much VO.

Eh, I'm a straight woman and to be honest, from what I've seen on YT, Viconia's romance IS THE BEST WRITTEN one out of all of the original BG2 companions. Like what do women get? Ah, right, Annoyman. I always wished Haer'Dalis was romancable (I know Bioware had plans to make him romancable, but ran out of time). And honestly, there are ways to make Viconia useful in combat, her natural magical resistance perhaps? Maybe some people like the idea of a drow? Like there are countless reasons to keep her in neutral/good parties.

W
veteran
veteran
W
I liked Viconia and her story. She is not my favorite, and not part of my heancanon party, but I think she was cool and I never found any problems with her story arc.

veteran
veteran
Again, I'm liking all the party members but it's essential that we have more good companions and that alignment is properly implemented. Protection from evil should work against any evil doers, not just devils and the like.

And yes, Viconia was my favorite romance -- I liked the redemption theme and I think Shadowheart is on the same path.

Unlike others I'm kinda lukewarm on Gale:

1) Like the DOS2 origin characters, he steals the spotlight from my wizard and my cleric of Mystra.

He was once a chosen of Mystra putting him on par with Elminster, the Kelben Blackstaff etc. My custom character's story doesn't really compare. He mansplains history to both my toons. "Look, I just told you I know who Karsus is -- I have a history proficiency and a background as an acolyte so I should be the one lecturing. "Sit down, Gale because I'm going to tell you what happened."

2) I think he 'negged' my toon. "Go to hell" Yeah, same to you Gale and don't try and tell me that you were musing on an everyday expression. You were using pick up artist techniques and it's not working. Astarian also starts harsh with a knife to my throat but at the time he thought I was in working for the mind flayers. Gale is just being a jerk to someone who helped him.

I'm glad they started with the custom characters -- one thing they need to do is to make the custom backgrounds count more. If I have a background as a sage I should be acting like a sage, urchins need to have a store of stories about how they became streetwise etc. Keep "tell my story" but also give me options like "there was this time in chapel when we were supposed to be entirely silent . . ."

journeyman
journeyman
Initially I wasn't that impressed with the companions. They seemed shallow and just unnecessarily mean, but they grew on me as I got to know them. Interesting questlines and nice fleshing out of their personalities as you progress. My favorite so far is Astarion with his aloof attitude, ironic sense of humor and vulnerability. Wyll is just likeable so far should be interesting to see how he and Astarion develop Monster/Hunter. Gale ..hmmm, Shadowheart is really difficult to gauge and Lae'zel has been pissed at me for a while now but since she is stuck frozen in camp I can't fix that. Still haven't developed that emotional connection to any of them though, whether friendship or romance and I like that. Seems more realistic to see it develop slowly. Well done larian

W
stranger
stranger
W
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit

Keep "tell my story" but also give me options like "there was this time in chapel when we were supposed to be entirely silent . . ."

I wonder if there's a way for Character Creator to let us select a few memories? Like a list of "what were the most defining events in your life" (Sorcerer/Wizard Example Choice: "That time I accidently exploded my sister's cat"). Rather than having to code for all variations and background minutia, which devs claimed was too much (understandably), several preset "short stories" could be selected and then brought up in dialogue. These could be mixed and matched depending on background, and would help with the feeling I got that the "conversations" I had with companions weren't simply monologues for them to talk about, well, themselves. Which is fine, because they're all way cooler and more interesting than my character, who couldn't even share how/why she became a warlock to Diet Cthulu.

I don't need to be the Chosen One/Gorion's Ward or anything--but it's hard not to feel like I won't be missing out by not playing as a companion. Whom are all, so far, a little *too* special?
Even Shadowheart, the one I loved for being a semi-normal non-special cleric to an evil deity, has some glowy stuff happening. And amnesia, which automatically makes her 40% main protagonist material right there.

How did my character get grouped in these folks? Why are they listening to anything I say when it's seems one of them should be the leader?? Why are they agreeing to go back to my camp and just trusting me to get stuff done? There's no compelling reason for them to follow me, even if we're all seeking the same thing.

I adore Gale (and all the other companions except Lae'zel, whom I'm going to give another shot), but it is true that my character Blanky Tav McBlanderson feels out of her league given all her travel companions have interesting backstories/secrets/superpowers.
Even the tadpole ability I got was centered around them.
The only thing my character had that made her unique (other than my unacknowledged backstory for her) was being the only tiefling in the camp, which I'm sure will change once more companions are introduced and a there's a "more special" tiefling.

As much as I love the companions and their writing . . . it is wearying to feel so constantly overshadowed. If Larian can't make my custom character special . . . can I at least have another rando to commiserate with? Maybe a bartender from The Blushing Mermaid who is equally unnerved by our head worm and travelling partners. Because if the rest of the companions are also suuuuper unique, I could see myself quickly becoming exasperated with a well-written crew whom I'd otherwise love.

Last edited by wildelight; 11/10/20 08:27 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by wildelight

Keep "tell my story" but also give me options like "there was this time in chapel when we were supposed to be entirely silent . . ."

I wonder if there's a way for Character Creator to let us select a few memories?

That's a great idea. Keep "tell your story but allow for some pre chosen responses as well. And yes, put Tav McBlanderson at the same level as the other characters -- in 5th E you are supposed to have a bond, a flaw and such and it would nice to see those implemented in an interesting way.

Even better if it could be edited by the player -- in BG you could rewrite your biography to fit your own head cannon story. Which was primitive compared to what would be needed here but it would be nice to have something that captures that spirit.

X
stranger
stranger
X
If there are going to be "redemption" arcs for non-LG/NG/CG companions, can we also have "corruption" arcs for non-LE/NE/CE ones? Some of them appear to be in desperate need of spiritual liberation.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Xarico
can we also have "corruption" arcs for non-LE/NE/CE ones? Some of them appear to be in desperate need of spiritual liberation.

My guess is that Wyll is on such an arc. Here's what happens when I let him take over conversations:

1. He kills the goblin boss after he surrendered

2. He tortured an innocent man just to get more info on his patron

Wyll's a bit more concerned with looking good than acting good -- that's the flaw that could be his undoing.

X
stranger
stranger
X

My guess is that Wyll is on such an arc. Here's what happens when I let him take over conversations:

Wyll's a bit more concerned with looking good than acting good -- that's the flaw that could be his undoing.

That does sound interesting, I didn't get to play with him much this past week.

Abits Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
can we also have "corruption" arcs for non-LE/NE/CE ones? Some of them appear to be in desperate need of spiritual liberation.

wow I missed a lot of stuff... I should bring him along the next playthrough.

azarhal - why bring viconia along? because I played multiple playthroughs, so I wanted to change the party I usually play, to see her abuse Aerie, I don't know, it's interesting. I don't play BG with set goals.

enthusiast
enthusiast

I wonder if there's a way for Character Creator to let us select a few memories? Like a list of "what were the most defining events in your life" (Sorcerer/Wizard Example Choice: "That time I accidently exploded my sister's cat"). Rather than having to code for all variations and background minutia, which devs claimed was too much (understandably), several preset "short stories" could be selected and then brought up in dialogue. These could be mixed and matched depending on background, and would help with the feeling I got that the "conversations" I had with companions weren't simply monologues for them to talk about, well, themselves. Which is fine, because they're all way cooler and more interesting than my character, who couldn't even share how/why she became a warlock to Diet Cthulu.

I don't need to be the Chosen One/Gorion's Ward or anything--but it's hard not to feel like I won't be missing out by not playing as a companion. Whom are all, so far, a little *too* special?
Even Shadowheart, the one I loved for being a semi-normal non-special cleric to an evil deity, has some glowy stuff happening. And amnesia, which automatically makes her 40% main protagonist material right there.

How did my character get grouped in these folks? Why are they listening to anything I say when it's seems one of them should be the leader?? Why are they agreeing to go back to my camp and just trusting me to get stuff done? There's no compelling reason for them to follow me, even if we're all seeking the same thing.

I adore Gale (and all the other companions except Lae'zel, whom I'm going to give another shot), but it is true that my character Blanky Tav McBlanderson feels out of her league given all her travel companions have interesting backstories/secrets/superpowers.
The only thing my character had that made her unique (other than my unacknowledged backstory for her) was being the only tiefling in the camp, which I'm sure will change once more companions are introduced and a there's a "more special" tiefling.

As much as I love the companions and their writing . . . it is wearying to feel so constantly overshadowed. If Larian can't make my custom character special . . . can I at least have another rando to commiserate with? Maybe a bartender from The Blushing Mermaid who is equally unnerved by our head worm and travelling partners. Because if the rest of the companions are also suuuuper unique, I could see myself quickly becoming exasperated with a well-written crew whom I'd otherwise love.

This 100%. It's a HUGE issue with D:OS2 as well IMO, the origin characters have a load of work put into them, and if you make your own, you're a pretty blank slate by comparison. IMO They really need to drop the origin character thing, make these true NPCs (they can keep their crazy backstories) then have custom character have a far more central and important role to the actual main plot than they do. Again, doesn't need to be quite on the BG level of child of a god etc, but make the protagonist feel like a protagonist without playing someone elses pretty horrible character..

W
veteran
veteran
W

Yeeees. This is why I love Wyll so much. His sense of morality is so much more interesting than most NPCs in most games. He does good and righteous acts but is driven by a selfish desire for adulation. It is great.

Abits Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by blindhamster

This 100%. It's a HUGE issue with D:OS2 as well IMO, the origin characters have a load of work put into them, and if you make your own, you're a pretty blank slate by comparison. IMO They really need to drop the origin character thing, make these true NPCs (they can keep their crazy backstories) then have custom character have a far more central and important role to the actual main plot than they do. Again, doesn't need to be quite on the BG level of child of a god etc, but make the protagonist feel like a protagonist without playing someone elses pretty horrible character..

yes. Ditch the concept of companions main characters and make some origins for your main (like in DAO, but less extensive).

veteran
veteran
Well the problem with any "redemption" story arcs is that that is meta-gaming. If you don't engage in meta-gaming, then you should be role-playing your character in the here and now, and reacting to the things your companions say and do in the here and now. And in that role-playing I don't see how a good-aligned PC can justify continuing to adventure with a vampire or a Sharan beyond the necessity of the first bit of the game. It's not like Volo comes to you tells you: Hey, don't be concerned. These companions can become nicer/good later on the game if you keep at it with them.

As for the game following FR lore, Swen himself as well as the lead writer have said on multiple occasions that the game is going to be very faithful to FR lore. So being faithful to FR lore does matter and is a valid basis for judging the game.

R
stranger
stranger
R
The compannions are a weak spot for the game. All of them are so immensely uncharismatic.

I hate them.

My characters hate them.

I kind of want to see them turn into mind flayers. The devs (my blanket name for anyone working on the game) are really pounding on the theme of introducing tension between the party. But right now I just hate the party.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Well the problem with any "redemption" story arcs is that that is meta-gaming. If you don't engage in meta-gaming, then you should be role-playing your character in the here and now, and reacting to the things your companions say and do in the here and now. And in that role-playing I don't see how a good-aligned PC can justify continuing to adventure with a vampire or a Sharan beyond the necessity of the first bit of the game. It's not like Volo comes to you tells you: Hey, don't be concerned. These companions can become nicer/good later on the game if you keep at it with them.

Yes you are right but in my head my wizard is thinking that she sees the good in shadowheart and is secretly hoping to bring her into the light. Likewise my cleric believes that if Astarian can get free of his master then he can be resurrected and redeemed. (which, from memory, was one of the possible outcomes of the original Strahd module). I don't have high hopes on the second.

But I do agree that we need a full, good party. I'm liking the "misfits thrown together" trope, hoping we can also get a well written variant of the hero's journey trope.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard