Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Loki the Cat
You do have to make a roll on Unlock / Disarm, and yes, failing = Tool is destroyed. You don't find many of the Disarm tools.
Use Guidance to help on your roll (Cleric).

I have seen some situations where a Perception pops up and I couldn't figure out the "Trap" (Tunnel behind Druid camp had one), with some Oil Barrels nearby. Out of paranoia, I just moved the Chest away from the Oil Barrels (Don't forget how "usable" the environment is) and opened it in a safer place.

yeah I've had problems with that one recently not showing a disarm trap. Did the trap still spring when you opened it??

journeyman
journeyman
yeah they really need to do a better job of highlighting what your perception roll finds. I often have my character pass a perception roll nly to not see what they saw

enthusiast
enthusiast
it is within 15 feet, not sure what that is in meters but roughly half of your movement in meters. Based on that you can usually just scroll around, or left alt (this I'm unsure about not having found need to try it) to see if something is brought up. Other times your rather close to it if your like me and are going through an area quickly. (which i'll admit can be dangerous, do to traps.) I find myself seeing the die roll begin and hitting space to stop my movement, and look for whats glowing. It tends to happen on successful rolls b4 the rolls confirmed, much the same as the die roll showing up red (i think since I'm color blind and it could be green. I'm switching what it is that I see, to what is the normal case. green being red to me)

N
stranger
stranger
N
I had the same experience with this chest. Tried drag and dropping kit and tools to hot bars but they did nothing. Tried right clicking the kit and tools in inventory, neither changed the interface to pick a target for disarming. If you close the inventory window after doing so, clicking the chest just opens it and the explosions go off. I looked around for a key thinking unlocking it might bypass the trap, but didn't find one.

Incidentally, despite this issue on the chest and one or two other chests/doors with the same behavior, I WAS also able to spot and disarm every single trap in the crypt. I had to save scum to disarm them all without burning through my available kits, but it worked. This chest and others like it seem to not be working right. I noted others during first play through, but didn't keep track. I will try this time.

Best guess on this is that there's a mix of things not WAI and players not knowing what to expect. This specific chest (and one or two others like it that I encountered) may be bugged in a way that you don't get a "disarm" option when you right click. Could just be a bug here. That mechanic worked fine for me in the crypt and other places where traps worked similarly. IE) Disarming the trap directly or finding a button to do it. In terms of not knowing what to expect I mean that all traps aren't handled the way I just mentioned. I like what Larian is doing, there. It's another layer of gameplay that I find enjoyable. I figured out that, for example, the floor grates in the swamp can't be disarmed (at least, I didn't find a way, maybe there was a passive I missed for a button or lever). They had to be covered so they couldn't trigger, and that was just as satisfying as finding a button to turn them off.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by BrianDavion
yeah they really need to do a better job of highlighting what your perception roll finds. I often have my character pass a perception roll nly to not see what they saw

Oh please yes!!

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by nickabbey
I had the same experience with this chest. Tried drag and dropping kit and tools to hot bars but they did nothing. Tried right clicking the kit and tools in inventory, neither changed the interface to pick a target for disarming. If you close the inventory window after doing so, clicking the chest just opens it and the explosions go off. I looked around for a key thinking unlocking it might bypass the trap, but didn't find one.

Incidentally, despite this issue on the chest and one or two other chests/doors with the same behavior, I WAS also able to spot and disarm every single trap in the crypt. I had to save scum to disarm them all without burning through my available kits, but it worked. This chest and others like it seem to not be working right. I noted others during first play through, but didn't keep track. I will try this time.

Best guess on this is that there's a mix of things not WAI and players not knowing what to expect. This specific chest (and one or two others like it that I encountered) may be bugged in a way that you don't get a "disarm" option when you right click. Could just be a bug here. That mechanic worked fine for me in the crypt and other places where traps worked similarly. IE) Disarming the trap directly or finding a button to do it. In terms of not knowing what to expect I mean that all traps aren't handled the way I just mentioned. I like what Larian is doing, there. It's another layer of gameplay that I find enjoyable. I figured out that, for example, the floor grates in the swamp can't be disarmed (at least, I didn't find a way, maybe there was a passive I missed for a button or lever). They had to be covered so they couldn't trigger, and that was just as satisfying as finding a button to turn them off.

I agree with you and think that players (those new to 5e) aren't aware of the intricate details wrapped up in D&D, though 5e is far more basic then those before it, or most of those. Still it's a lot to learn, and the lack of quality tutorial is only hindering a great game (so far)

N
stranger
stranger
N
Originally Posted by nickabbey

Just had more evidence for this not WAI on this specific chest.
Whole room was adjacent to chest and all rolled passive investigations. mixed pass/fail but astarion def failed. Selected him, right clicked the chest and had the disarm option. Passed first try. failed lockpick once, got all the goodies in the chest. This was in the secret room next to the
"Underdark - Fort" waypoint

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard