Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Ok I take back what I said in the sausages post. Game rating has now gone down to 4/5 stars. You have a fruit in the
game that has been erroneously named as 'kiwi'.

As somebody who was born and raised in New Zealand[the country the fruit gets it's name from], it is very frustrating
to see this mislabled(a LOT). To the point ignorant folk try to be clever and make a(very poor) joke that we eat our own
national bird. The reason why this joke is terrible is because the fruit in question is actually called a 'kiwifruit'. I will go
further to clarify that it is also not called a 'kiwi fruit'. It is a compund word very much like grapefruit is the correct name
for a different fruit(also a compund word. Nobody in their right mind would call a grapefruit a 'grape fruit' or even worse
a 'grape' because that would be nonsensical.

To clarify: There are only two uses of the word kiwi.

1: Several different types of flightless birds endemnic to the country of New Zealand.
2: A person who identifies as a New Zealander.

Please don't even start the whole 'chinese gooseberry' argument [let's not go down that rabbit hole folks]

If we can get more sausages, AND correctly name fruit I will personally write Swen a postcard expressing my gratitude.

[Linked Image]

Love and sausages xx
U
apprentice
apprentice
U
So I've been calling that fruit by the wrong name for 27 years (ok maybe 26, if I started talking at 1 year old lol)?
Boy, you just crushed my world view...

veteran
Online Content
veteran
Is this a joke thread or what?
It may be a language barrier or something, but I've never known that fruit as anything other than "kiwi".

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
V
V
In German it is just Kiwi, by the way, for all three of the things you mentioned. I know I am German and lived in NZ.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Usako
So I've been calling that fruit by the wrong name for 27 years (ok maybe 26, if I started talking at 1 year old lol)?
Boy, you just crushed my world view...

Don't spend too much time re-evaluating your life crazy

Originally Posted by Tuco
Is this a joke thread or what?
It may be a language barrier or something, but I've never known that fruit as anything other than "kiwi".

Wikipedia, and online articles would say otherwise(and back me up).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiwifruit
https://time.com/4662293/kiwifruit-chinese-gooseberry-new-zealand-history-fruit/

Last edited by 0Muttley0; 12/10/20 10:49 PM.

Love and sausages xx
addict
addict
...k, still calling it a kiwi because I'm not going to refer to them as one of the appropriate terms and cause everyone to scratch their heads because I'm trying to soapbox a teaching opportunity.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

T
apprentice
apprentice
T
Folks, he cited Wikipedia. Case closed. Larian clearly needs to fire everyone and start over.

FYI, it’s still a kiwi.

apprentice
apprentice
It's only a kiwifruit if it comes from the Kiwi region of Oceania, otherwise it's just a sparkling Chinese Gooseberry.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Screw it just call it edible and be done with it.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Maxximenez
It's only a kiwifruit if it comes from the Kiwi region of Oceania, otherwise it's just a sparkling Chinese Gooseberry.

This response has more legitimacy than the vast majority of the others. If you are going to call it after the NZ version it's 'kiwifruit' if you don't
want to do that then it's either 'chinese gooseberry' or it's original name 'mihoutao'. Any argument for calling it a kwi is completely redundant.

Originally Posted by TravelingBuddha
Folks, he cited Wikipedia. Case closed. Larian clearly needs to fire everyone and start over.

FYI, it’s still a kiwi.

Just, no.

Love and sausages xx
veteran
Online Content
veteran

Hilariously enough if I go to my language equivalent of that page its title is just "Kiwi".
But if that's of any comfort for you, it DOES explain that it's a fruit between parenthesis.

Anyway, i feel like we are being trolled.
I can't imagine anyone actually caring about this sort of crap.

Last edited by Tuco; 13/10/20 02:04 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
addict
addict
[Linked Image]

stranger
stranger
So, because of the way language evolves with how it’s used, it’s 1000% just "Kiwi" now, because I have never, ever in my life seen anything Kiwi flavored called “Kiwifruit” either in the US, UK, Canada or Sweden.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Tuco

Hilariously enough if I go to my language equivalent of that page its title is just "Kiwi".
But if that's of any comfort for you, it DOES explain that it's a fruit between parenthesis.

Anyway, i feel like we are being trolled.
I can't imagine anyone actually caring about this sort of crap.

I did start the post off 'in good humour' with a (very small) dash of semi seriousness[hence the reference to the sausages post]. (In hindsight, perhaps I should have linked that post)

Short version: In Aus/NZ it is only known as a kiwifruit. So as a NZer, where the name kiwifruit originates, it is frustrating to see it 'misnamed'. Especially when it leads to the awful
eating birds joke. Which when made towards a NZer makes no sense whatsover.

Love and sausages xx
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Panicintrinsica
So, because of the way language evolves with how it’s used, it’s 1000% just "Kiwi" now, because I have never, ever in my life seen anything Kiwi flavored called “Kiwifruit” either in the US, UK, Canada or Sweden.

It's almost like the southern hemispere doesn't exist...

Are you a flat earther by any chance? :hihi:

Love and sausages xx
stranger
stranger
After taking a brief moment to acknowledge this is all farcical anyway, ostensibly done in good humor, and is probably the least important issue of our day; I will state for the record that Australia and New Zealand have a combined population of 29.87 million people. That is less than the state of California.

If the other 430+ million native English speakers across the rest of the current and former commonwealth, and virtually all other compulsory english-as-a-second-language nations generally refer to and understand Kiwi to be a flavor more so then a flightless bird or a demonym, regardless of any dictionary, then that is now the principle meaning of that word in the English language by usage and valid by default.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Interesting, I grew up being called kiwi. Which I'm also still going to call it. :p

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
After taking a brief moment to acknowledge this is all farcical anyway, ostensibly done in good humor, and is probably the least important issue of our day; I will state for the record that Australia and New Zealand have a combined population of 29.87 million people. That is less than the state of California.

If the other 430+ million native English speakers across the rest of the current and former commonwealth, and virtually all other compulsory english-as-a-second-language nations generally refer to and understand Kiwi to be a flavor more so then a flightless bird or a demonym, regardless of any dictionary, then that is now the principle meaning of that word in the English language by usage and valid by default.

Damn you and you usage of logic and maths. :hihi:

Love and sausages xx
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by 0Muttley0

Damn you and you usage of logic and maths. :hihi:

I believe you mean Wogics, and Maffs!

addict
addict
if it helps. when we(people on the northern hemisphere) make a distinction between the fruit and the bird, we actually add bird to kiwi. So we can buy some kiwis in the grocery shop or go watch kiwi birds on the web(don't think you'll find any zoo here with one)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard