Next Thread
Print Thread
C
Crikk Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Hopefully this is just a "polish" thing that Larian knows about and simply hasn't gotten around to, but right now scrolls are completely messed up.
For starters, the type of spell (Divine, Arcane, etc.) doesn't come into play, so a Wizard can scribe a scroll for a healing spell and then cast it forever if they choose to memorize it.
This plays into the second problem which is that currently ANYONE can use spells scrolls. I hate being a "rules lawyer", but it's pretty clear that you can only use a spell scroll if you can cast the type of magic that spells is from.
In other words, Warlocks, Wizards, Sorcerers, Eldritch Knights and Arcane Tricksters can use Arcane scrolls like Burning Hands, but Shadowheart and Astarion shouldn't be able to. (Unless you make Astarion an Arcane Trickster at level 3, obviously.)
This is obviously the DOS2 engine roots showing thought, but currently is the biggest broken system (IMHO).
Wizards should only be able to learn arcane spells and only characters that have a spellcasting ability should be able to use scrolls (for spells applicable to them).

With the Tag and Proficiency systems already in place, you'd think this would be a relatively simple fix... (e.g. tag each spell with who can cast it (e.g. [WARLOCK, WIZARD, SORCERER] and give the classes proficiency with something e.g. "Warlock Spells".)

stranger
stranger
The only problem here is that scrolls can be a kind of necessary aid for people who have problems with the difficulty. I almost never use scrolls in games, so I don’t have much of a horse in this race, but I think enforcing that rule is probably fine for classic and harder, but I’d leave it disabled on easy anyway. Wizards being able to learn cleric spells is an obvious bug though; or rather, I just assume there is no code to differentiate spell types yet when scribing, so it's not really a bug as much as an unfinished implementation, which is super common in this stage of development.

Also, keeping things like scrolls of revivification available for everyone is just a quality of life thing. I’d leave that enabled on classic, just because it’s a time saver. I would rather just use a res item then reload and redo a 20min battle on standard difficulty sometimes

Last edited by Panicintrinsica; 13/10/20 05:21 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard