Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Z
Zress Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Z
I am not sure I like the narrator voice acting. At first it felt a little bit cringe to me, but I couldn't point my finger at it. But then, few days ago my girlfriend set with me while I played and when she heard the narrator she started laughing. When I asked her what's so funny she told me that it sounds like the narrator is having sex, like she is talking to someone she is in the bed with. That observation totally ruined it for me lol

enthusiast
enthusiast
Definitely a very good narrator.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Well.. there is a "Six" (if you have seen the recent version of Battlestar Galactica you will know what I mean) vibe... but it's not a bad thing.

addict
addict
Reminds me of Cate Blanchett (Galadriel) in LoTR. I don't have a problem with it.

I actually really like her, i think she has a very pleasant voice.

"There are three things that are strength incarnate: there is love of life, there is fear of death, and there is family. A family that loves death would have a strong pull indeed." - Tamoko
Z
stranger
stranger
Z
Love it. Love the narrator.

stranger
stranger
Huh... I mean... It's not the "Sexy Announcer" from Unreal Tournament or anything... I think she's fine personally, I never really gave it all that much thought other than to appreciate they went with a female and not another "wizened old man" which seems to be the default for D&D narrators.

apprentice
apprentice
I love it.
My $0.02

enthusiast
enthusiast
It's literally Malady from DoS 2, like it's the same voice actor.

She's got a great voice, wonderful tones....but it presents two problems for me:

1. It reallllllly makes it hard to argue against people saying this is DoS 3, rather than BG 3, since the primary voice you'll be hearing is an actual character from DoS 2. John Mayer, the original narrator from BG 2, is still alive and still working. It would have been a nice call back at least. It does lead a bit into my second problem with it....

2. Literally everyone has British accent in the game. Narrator, random goblin #46, Drow who've never seen the surface world before....and literally travelers from another plane of existence (Githyanki). Everywhere you look, everyone has a British accent. It makes the world feel smaller than it should.

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Just because someone spoke in DOS2 isn't good enough of a reason for me not to have her narrate in BG3 - lets not turn the feedback into 'please purge anything - good or bad - that someone might associate with DOS' wink

She is great in her role as narrator and I could listen to her all day.

journeyman
journeyman
besides gaming companies often have go to voice actors, Jennifer Hale for example provided voices in most of Bioware's games (including baulder's gate 1 and 2 BTW)

L
apprentice
apprentice
L
I realized the voice has a very seductive tone to it, but it never bothered me tbh. The voice is not "clear" as in "sharp", so I'm pretty happy with it (since my ears get to hurt easily).

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
I love having an ASMR narrator. I'm always thrilled when she starts talking.

journeyman
journeyman
I like the narrator, but I would have preferred the narrator from BG2 because of nostalgia.

U
apprentice
apprentice
U
I love this narrator. Wish she'd do some audiobooks that I could listen to!
I mean, whenever I hear some of my bf's games, there's usually this "deep male voice" narrator, so having a nice female voice is quite refreshing imo.

stranger
stranger
I love the narrator (narratress?). She's got a good storytelling voice which is great for a D&D game and I dig her many different intonations for various situations.

veteran
veteran
I too really like the narrator. She's very easy to listen to, though there is definitely a sexy vibe, OP is right.

N
old hand
old hand
N
I always liked Malady's voice in DOS 2. She's got something special. I am glad she's back to narrate BG3.

She's got quite the sense of humor besides
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Nyanko; 13/10/20 07:22 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Isaac Springsong
It's literally Malady from DoS 2, like it's the same voice actor.

She's got a great voice, wonderful tones....but it presents two problems for me:

1. It reallllllly makes it hard to argue against people saying this is DoS 3, rather than BG 3, since the primary voice you'll be hearing is an actual character from DoS 2. John Mayer, the original narrator from BG 2, is still alive and still working. It would have been a nice call back at least. It does lead a bit into my second problem with it....

2. Literally everyone has British accent in the game. Narrator, random goblin #46, Drow who've never seen the surface world before....and literally travelers from another plane of existence (Githyanki). Everywhere you look, everyone has a British accent. It makes the world feel smaller than it should.

Like every game with Nolan North is really an Uncharted game? If Malady shows up later and tells us it’s actually been her talking to us all along then it’s a good point, although I think that’s highly unlikely. Otherwise it’s just a studio using some voice actors they worked with before and liked, same as everyone does. Like Bioware used Jenifer Hale for FemShep in Mass Effect after she was in original Baldur’s Gate.

British accents are a staple of sword and sorcery fantasy games, films and TV. I agree they could use more variety. On the other hand it can be a bit weird to associate recognizable accents with specific regions or races. like Orlesians in Dragon Age all sounding French and Nilfgaardians in the Witcher mainly sounding German.

Of course all dwarfs need to be Scottish, that’s just the law.

journeyman
journeyman
I don't find it annoying. I generally dislike narration so, if the voice isn't bothering me, well done.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard