Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Emulate Offline OP
OP Offline
I think the core game-play of this game is broken and probably beyond fixing I do have a post for that, but here are some Suggestions to add more content and substance to a game which seems very hollow and soulless right now, these suggestions are foccoused mostly arround "CONTENT" not broken AI or bugs.
http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=87653&Number=680775#Post680775

-Add backpacks that are visible and increase loot capacity but have a -dexterity modifier if used in combat or jumping... No reason not to have them this game feels hollow add some more content/itemization, Games like Outward did backpacks mostly properly this game should take notes, you can even have loot thieves that try to steal your gear when you drop the back packs in combat to gain + stats.

-Make trorches and light spells more usefull and play into how combat works, equiping a torch to see in the dark should be a viable solution.

-Arrows should be craft able and equipable, infinite arrows sucks...

-The game lacks proper item diversity and crafting, divinity 2 had much better itemization crafting and such the crafting in this game is terriable rare and for the most part feels tacked on it should be better then D2 not worse.

-Have the camps mobile, the instanced camp actually takes away form the story cohesion I found my self the most broken bouts of LORE and story at the camps it doesn't bring the game togeather it makes it feel detached and instanced like the crappy modern world of warcraft patches.

-The game needs more gear visuals, running into the same looking gear over and over is not fun, add variations of the gear that has +- modifiers like tatters leather provides less armor but more dex and looks different charcter progression in this game feels almost non existent at times D2 had much better pacing.

-Item identification in some form should be in this game.

-bandages and slashing and bleeding damage add more diversity and remove infinite eating in combat, tanking should not involved eating infinite food standing the middle of a room crafting bandages and healing should be a more robust system.

-add ability to aim attacks at head/limbs and weak points have "SIZE/DEX" affect hit chance, shooting at a 30 foot ogre from 7 feet away should not yield a substancial miss % should also add more diversity for combat and rogues. You have a potential to make a good game, here don't listen to the purists this game doesn't translate properly to 5e the purists are not in the best interest of good gaming.

-buying revive scrolls can get expensive, I'm pretty sure my game is bugged out and my character aren't leveling but some other method of revival should be available in town or camp or a distinct location, make it a nuisance to revive charters with out scrolls. Right now revive scrolls are the most valuable item in the game and thats not enjoyable.

-character sizes and player models should be more diversified, making bigger taller or stronger charters should be an option as long with other races that are actually bigger than the base model.

-ability to peer through windows, since fog of war is very broken and virtually doesn't exist peering through windows might be the best way of handling certain fights and situations.

-more diversity in range weapons.

-item dying change the color of items with different pigments and dyes, people modded this into Divnity 2 and there is no reason it is not in this game.

-

PLEASE ADD PROPER FOG OF WAR

Last edited by Emulate; 13/10/20 10:17 PM.
journeyman
journeyman

-add ability to aim attacks at head/limbs and weak points have "SIZE/DEX" affect hit chance, shooting at a 30 foot ogre from 7 feet away should not yield a substancial miss % should also add more diversity for combat and rogues..

hit chance in every d&d edition is an abstraction for both difficulty to actually hit and for difficulty to deal damage after a hit. Thats why a full plate + shield fighter is not taking damage, not because is dodgin but because is absorbing the blow. Unfortunately this abstraction is more times than not forgot and hit chance is represented just like that.
I know i would rather have split this behaviour between a Defense rating and an Absorb rating, but tha'ts all we've got in this system. So your hit hit chance against an ogre is more likely your damage chance against his thick hide

for the aimed shot part, i would be interested to see some adaptation to it, but i fear it would break apart class and feats balance: if i can impose a flat to hit penality with my fighter and dealing damage, so much spells and class features become worthless.

You have a potential to make a good game, here don't listen to the purists this game doesn't translate properly to 5e the purists are not in the best interest of good gaming

sigh. Again, 5e is a carefully designed game system with most of its pieces balanced against the other. You begin modifying some pieces, cracks begins to manifest in the system. You saw how surfaces are breaking the game? They disregard AC and Saves dealing multiple instaces of damages, but thats' throughfully explained by better english speakers than me.
You propose multiple sources of flat modifiers, like armors and aimed shots. Im not against those just because i think 5e is perfection made tabletop game, i just urge great caution and lots of testing before changing such a core mechanic of a system. AC and to hit are designed to have a value floor and a value ceiling: your class, abilities, magic, items, even extraordinary circumstances were all designed to remain whithin those two boundaries.

Unfortunately, Larian is long gone design phase, aint no more room in development cycle do go back design, implement, test and fix the whole system again. They cant but remove their features or add tabletot ones at this point

more diversity in range weapons.

tabletop has so much throwable options, and all of them use Strenght to hit and damage: axes, javelins, hammers, even spears and tridents. Best part of it they can be used as a one handed melee weapon also.
This game sorely miss those ranged str options 5e gave to pure melee players

W
apprentice
apprentice
W
Originally Posted by Emulate
buying revive scrolls can get expensive, I'm pretty sure my game is bugged out and my character aren't leveling but some other method of revival should be available in town or camp or a distinct location, make it a nuisance to revive charters with out scrolls. Right now revive scrolls are the most valuable item in the game and thats not enjoyable.

You can find a, "hooded skeleton" in a crypt that goes to your camp and will revive characters for 200gp.

J
stranger
stranger
J
-Make trorches and light spells more usefull and play into how combat works, equiping a torch to see in the dark should be a viable solution.

This actually is a thing in the game as-is. If you check your rolls in the combat log you'll find that when you're in darkness with a character that doesn't have darkvision you're rolling at disadvantage. This means it's making your attack roll twice and taking the lower of the two rolls. If you have a torch equipped or cast the light cantrip on that character they'll no longer be making attack rolls with disadvantage.

If you're not encountering this you're likely playing with races that have darkvision. There's a lot of them in D&D.

I will say that I wish they made it more clear that this is happening. Sometimes I legitimately can't tell whether or not I'm going to be attacking at disadvantage by the lighting in the room, I went through multiple fights just enduring low chance-to-hit before I realized the combat log was a thing and I could see that I was rolling at disadvantage. Then I had to figure out why.

-The game lacks proper item diversity and crafting, divinity 2 had much better itemization crafting and such the crafting in this game is terriable rare and for the most part feels tacked on it should be better then D2 not worse.

I couldn't tell you where, but they have already said that they intend to add a crafting system.

-Item identification in some form should be in this game.

"Identify" is a 3rd-level spell in D&D. I don't know if/how they intend to implement it, but early access does not take your characters to a high enough level to learn it. Even then: in D&D items are generally fully identified when you 'attune' to them. Since attunement isn't really a thing here it would translate to "when you equip it." The importance of this distinction is for cursed items. We've seen "semi-cursed" stuff in the form of the Absolute gear, but no real D&D curses that bind an item to a character yet. Otherwise I fail to see the point in an identification system like you had in Divinity 2, it's just a gold-sink that wastes time in my opinion. In this game it would mean that you have to have a wizard or sorcerer in your party or pay X gold to some dude that would probably stand around camp. No thanks.

-buying revive scrolls can get expensive, I'm pretty sure my game is bugged out and my character aren't leveling but some other method of revival should be available in town or camp or a distinct location, make it a nuisance to revive charters with out scrolls. Right now revive scrolls are the most valuable item in the game and thats not enjoyable.

Someone else already mentioned the skeleton guy who will revive your party members at camp for 200 gold. I mainly wanted to touch on max leveling: just a reminder that you're in early access, the current max level is "4." If you've hit level 4 you won't level again, and you'll eventually get a pop-up notification for when you would have hit level 5 that tells you as much.

Emulate Offline OP
OP Offline
I've said it again, larian really need to go back to the drawing board with the entire combat system in this game, this game has many game breaking bugs and design oversights that will prevent it from getting anywhere near a 90% rating. Some of the suggestions I put forward if implemented properly along with closing some of the very broken game design mechanics right now can 100% insure this game reaches legendary status as long as they tidy the story cohesion and bugs with it.

Last edited by Emulate; 13/10/20 10:15 PM.
T
stranger
stranger
T
You're a good man, Emulate. Larian is lucky to have you on board. Its amazing they've survived this long.

Emulate Offline OP
OP Offline
They sure are lucky to have me helping them.

veteran
veteran

-Add backpacks that are visible and increase loot capacity but have a -dexterity modifier if used in combat or jumping... No reason not to have them this game feels hollow add some more content/itemization, Games like Outward did backpacks mostly properly this game should take notes, you can even have loot thieves that try to steal your gear when you drop the back packs in combat to gain + stats.

-Arrows should be craft able and equipable, infinite arrows sucks...

This sounds like perfect work for modding comunity ...
Or something that should be optional by gameplay settings. :-/

-Have the camps mobile, the instanced camp actually takes away form the story cohesion I found my self the most broken bouts of LORE and story at the camps it doesn't bring the game togeather it makes it feel detached and instanced like the crappy modern world of warcraft patches.

This actualy sounds like pretty good idea ... even that campsite will be wasted that way. :-/
But in game i met several empty places with bonfire and some beds ... those places could be perfect for implementation of some sort of short rest, if camp rest will be restricted somehow.

-The game needs more gear visuals, running into the same looking gear over and over is not fun, add variations of the gear that has +- modifiers like tatters leather provides less armor but more dex and looks different charcter progression in this game feels almost non existent at times D2 had much better pacing.

I dont like the idea of everything have some modifiers ...
It seem reasonable to me that leather armor allowes you to use more of your own dex. modifier ... like plate armor: 15AC, +1Dex max, chain armor 12AC, +2Dex max, leather armor 10AC, +5Dex max. ... but i dont like getting more agile just bcs you wear armor, that just dont make sence to me. Unless is enchanted, wich on the other hand should be at last a bit rare. :-/

I absolutely +1 the idea of different models, but i bet that is intended in full release.

-character sizes and player models should be more diversified, making bigger taller or stronger charters should be an option as long with other races that are actually bigger than the base model.

Or ... maybe ... masculinity can reflect our stats. :-/
It seem odd to create mage that have bigger arms than yetty, while he have 8Str. laugh

The rest is +1 from me.

-item dying change the color of items with different pigments and dyes, people modded this into Divnity 2 and there is no reason it is not in this game.

I presume (read as: hope) this is allready planned. :3

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
J
stranger
stranger
J
List of things the game needs:

1. Add the Ready and Dodge Action
2. Add all the Classes and Sub-classes from PHB
3. Add all the top 10% requested Classes and Sub-classes from the other Official Content sources (Ex. UA is not official content. Xanathar's Guide is.)
4. Add the Multi-class option.
5. Tone down the Status effects a bit.
6. More common and Uncommon items form DMG.
7. Capture, questioning, and torture of prisoners.
8. Allow for custom backgrounds.
9. More Companion Options.
10. More +1 types of gears Shields etc.
11. Adding custom gears from Larian's brain.
12. Adding Rare and Very Rare Items from DMG
13. Ability to make enemies eat their young.

I disagree about the arrows. Because it is a PC game and making me pick them up would just be too painstaking.

S
stranger
stranger
S
(From someone who played Solasta)

I spent 100 hours playing BG3 and realized I should have just waited for Solasta.

What's one of the aspects of this game that makes it feel like more of D&D campaign?

For starters, when your character engages in dialogue with another NPC - it's not a 1 on 1 interrogation. All the party members are involved in the conversation and all of the party members will respond with text based upon the alignment and character traits you assigned them.

While the dialogue can stand to be fleshed out a bit - already it feels great seeing that I can select party members to answer and roll their check. Do these checks matter? I'm not sure. I think they present information based upon the number your roll. It does not feel like critical failures anytime you miss a check.

The character creation feels like an authentic 5th edition experience and the tutorials are clear. The rogue or stealth tutorial seems a little daunting for some players - but just stick with it!

Some things you can do during character creation:

1.You can roll your stats.

2.Pick your class and skills.

3.Set your alignment.

4.Pick your god.

5.Select your background and personality traits.

I created a full party.

The mechanics and battles controls are solid. The flow thus far is pretty nice.

The camera flows beautifully and one minute I'll be frustrated by some graphics and the next I'm pausing to admire how beautiful a scene is rendered.

The combat is turn based.

I hope the designers consider telling a bit more of their story with text, allowing for greater character development, but so far I've been having a lot of fun.

Knowing that this is an EA is exciting and I can't wait to see where this game will go!

If you were looking for something to scratch that 5e itch - I'd certainly recommend giving Solasta a try.

(From me Steven Milner. Username: Stormy)

Also, speaking from a rogue standpoint. If i steal or break in to anywhere and no one sees me. No one should be mad at my characters. Coupe de gras….if they are asleep/incapacitated on the ground. 

Why do i need to roll damage. No one in the area should be awoken from their death….and it should be a death. except on creatures of two size catagories or larger. It should be an instant silent kill. 

I say two sizes or more because at that size their necks and soft points become too large to do the type of physical damage that would immediately cause death. 

And seriously guys. I should hit 9.69999999 times out of 10 on a 96% chance to hit. Maybe a bit more. We are kinda the heroes of this tale. Despite our various backgrounds.

Also a climbing mechanism for say climbing statues or other objects would be cool. Grappling larger opponents to deal damage would be cool. Like climbing on their backs and stabbing them. 

Falling attacks such as using a body to deal damage or the characters weapon/s to deal massive damage. A defensive mode for characters that do not yet have a way to act in their turn. 

Impaling an opponent with select weapons. Targeted strikes for sneak attacks. Making poisons and potions. Finishing (decapitations, stylish flourishes that end with a kill shot, disembowelment. Also stat based kill shots. Such as 18 strength does a throat rip. So on and so forth) moves upon critical strikes that kill an opponent.

Draining an opponent of blood in combat should deal Hit Point damage and make the target woozy or stunned for 3 rounds. Static combat animations are good. Models sword fighting or dodging arrows in place. Random dodgable spells being casted and flying across the battlefeild. 

Also, the ability to actively hide behind cover and fire ranged or magical attack from behind them. Pathfinding for the characters. At no point should a character of mine jump from a ledge when there is a latter six inches from the character. I have had this happen more than a few times. 

Please allow us to roll our own stats. I cant speak for everyone, but every so often i like to have a massively powerful character to play with. Adds to replayability. 

Why do rogues not immediatly wear medium armor, why cant Astarion duel weild a Rapier and a dagger? 

You guys at Larian should pay heed, and take advantage of this, this game "Solasta", is looking amazing with a much smaller crew. Watch out Larian Studios! I am rooting for you!

Link Copied to Clipboard