Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Raiyan Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
To start off, I'd like to say that I love the game so far. The gameplay mechanics are great and inspired heavily by D&D 5e, the music and graphics are wonderful and the story is intriguing and promising and I can't wait to see the full game.

That being said, I have one gripe with some of the spells/cantrips which aren't combat focused such as "Friends" and "Thaumaturgy". I picked a Warlock as my class and chose "Friends" as my cantrip thinking it would give me some advantages during pivotal conversation scenes only to find out that many of the scenes were triggered and I could not cast my cantrip at all. There was this one moment with the githyanki patrol on the bridge and Lae'zhel had to deceive the kith'rak into not attacking us. I loaded that scene quite a few times just trying to cast my "Friends" cantrip on the guy before triggering the cutscene because he was so far away and even then, I'm not sure whether or not it had an effect (though I succeeded the DC) because the UI didn't tell me if I rolled with an advantage or not. The same goes for Thaumaturgy since that one also requires a target to be cast.

My first suggestion would be to let the player know if he's rolling with an Advantage or Disadvantage. It's always good to see the game respond to your actions, so if I'm doing something to impact the DC, I'd like to know about it.

My second suggestion is to make these cantrips actually useful during dialogue. A couple of solutions I thought of, are:

- Reduce the size of the trigger box for the cutscenes so I can actually get in range of the target before the conversation takes place. I know this won't be the case for every cutscene since there are a few NPCs which surprise the PC (like the Zhentarim in the cave).
- Add dialogue options during conversation through which I can use my cantrips.
- Allow me to briefly pause the conversation (similarly to how you exit the dialogue scene when switching to other party members, but this would involve the PC) so I can cast my cantrips.

Casting "Friends" could have some consequences afterwards. The NPC could be rude to me, he could decide not to speak to me anymore or he could flat out attack me.

I know they'd involve quite a bit of work, but I think they could introduce a whole new dynamic to how conversations take place in the game and make the player balance out Risk vs Reward.

Last edited by Raiyan; 13/10/20 09:58 AM.
T
addict
addict
T
I'm okay with Friends not making people hostile afterward. That's hard to deal with in a CRPG than in a TTRPG. As to the others, apparently plans are that Detect Thoughts, Friends, and other such spells are going to be implemented into dialogue but they haven't been yet. So you're looking at the fact that there's a feature they haven't finished yet.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Thrythlind
I'm okay with Friends not making people hostile afterward. That's hard to deal with in a CRPG than in a TTRPG. As to the others, apparently plans are that Detect Thoughts, Friends, and other such spells are going to be implemented into dialogue but they haven't been yet. So you're looking at the fact that there's a feature they haven't finished yet.

That's what I was hoping was the case. I made a lot of decisions for RP reasons that just aren't implemented yet.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Hope they also add guidance to the list, being able to add that d4 to stuff you only JUST fail would be great.

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
is "friends" even working?
even when intiating a conversation, it doesn't seem to grant me advantage. i didn't have a conversation yet, where it worked.
did some one make that cantrip work?

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Raiyan
To start off, I'd like to say that I love the game so far. The gameplay mechanics are great and inspired heavily by D&D 5e, the music and graphics are wonderful and the story is intriguing and promising and I can't wait to see the full game.

That being said, I have one gripe with some of the spells/cantrips which aren't combat focused such as "Friends" and "Thaumaturgy". I picked a Warlock as my class and chose "Friends" as my cantrip thinking it would give me some advantages during pivotal conversation scenes only to find out that many of the scenes were triggered and I could not cast my cantrip at all. There was this one moment with the githyanki patrol on the bridge and Lae'zhel had to deceive the kith'rak into not attacking us. I loaded that scene quite a few times just trying to cast my "Friends" cantrip on the guy before triggering the cutscene because he was so far away and even then, I'm not sure whether or not it had an effect (though I succeeded the DC) because the UI didn't tell me if I rolled with an advantage or not. The same goes for Thaumaturgy since that one also requires a target to be cast.

My first suggestion would be to let the player know if he's rolling with an Advantage or Disadvantage. It's always good to see the game respond to your actions, so if I'm doing something to impact the DC, I'd like to know about it.

My second suggestion is to make these cantrips actually useful during dialogue. A couple of solutions I thought of, are:

- Reduce the size of the trigger box for the cutscenes so I can actually get in range of the target before the conversation takes place. I know this won't be the case for every cutscene since there are a few NPCs which surprise the PC (like the Zhentarim in the cave).
- Add dialogue options during conversation through which I can use my cantrips.
- Allow me to briefly pause the conversation (similarly to how you exit the dialogue scene when switching to other party members, but this would involve the PC) so I can cast my cantrips.

Casting "Friends" could have some consequences afterwards. The NPC could be rude to me, he could decide not to speak to me anymore or he could flat out attack me.

I know they'd involve quite a bit of work, but I think they could introduce a whole new dynamic to how conversations take place in the game and make the player balance out Risk vs Reward.

I totally agree with these points.

"Old time love song will die so swiftly.
You never trust me-
For a while it was nice, but it's time to say bye....

I'm cold, you're so cold-
You're so cold, you're so cold-
No-no-no, cold, you're so cold...."
C
journeyman
journeyman
C
+1

I think there are many issues with spells and lack of information on how they work or if they are working at all. I made a post about this;

https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=702865#Post702865

Last edited by Cantila; 17/10/20 04:19 PM.
T
addict
addict
T
I believe someone mentioned post from Larian that Friends, Thaumaturgy, and Detect Thoughts have not yet been implemented in dialogue but are planned to be. (I kind of also hope that Charm Person and Suggestion will see use in conversation as well.) If someone could point to a link for that, that would be nice.

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
I believe someone mentioned post from Larian that Friends, Thaumaturgy, and Detect Thoughts have not yet been implemented in dialogue but are planned to be. (I kind of also hope that Charm Person and Suggestion will see use in conversation as well.) If someone could point to a link for that, that would be nice.

well i saw advantage on intimidation and performance checks, when thaumaturgy was on (and not getting advantage when it was off), so i think it is working.
i was testing this at the door of the first ruin, where there is this guy behind the door.

T
addict
addict
T
Originally Posted by mahe4

well i saw advantage on intimidation and performance checks, when thaumaturgy was on (and not getting advantage when it was off), so i think it is working.
i was testing this at the door of the first ruin, where there is this guy behind the door.

Apparently we're going to be getting dialogue options to cast these spells.

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
Originally Posted by mahe4

Apparently we're going to be getting dialogue options to cast these spells.

that would be super nice.

apprentice
apprentice
I think these spells are bugged because my charisma checks were even lower then my proficiency bonus and charisma bonus when casting these spells beforehand.

veteran
veteran
I would like to see spells being usable in dialogues.
Especialy such as detect thoughts, friends, bless, guidance, etc. ...

On the other hand, i would also like to see NPC react to player just start casting during conversation. laugh

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 03/11/20 09:25 AM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink

Link Copied to Clipboard