Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#693445 13/10/20 12:08 PM
I
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I
As a player, I want my actions to have consequences, but so long as the ability to save & reload constantly really diminishes this.

In short, I'd like to see an option available when creating a new character. This option would:
  • Limit the character to a single save file
  • Automatically save after every check / chance occurrence
  • Prevent manual saves within combat

For example, in a conversation, a persuasion check comes up, and unfortunately, I nat fail. Rather than being able to reload until I pass the check, I would just have to accept that I have failed the check and move on.

One thing to note is, I wouldn't want this to be a hardcore option with regards to combat. If I die in combat, I would want to resume at the start of combat, and not have the game auto-save after every attack.

*Yes I know I can choose not to save scum, but so long as I have the option to, I will abuse it.

I
apprentice
apprentice
I
That's good idea. Great to people who want to feel consequences, but have hard time holding themselves from bending the rules from time to time.
Also it's good option for an achievement "There is no turning back", if you finished the game with such option.

journeyman
journeyman
In short, I'd like to see an option available when creating a new character. This option would:

Limit the character to a single save file
Automatically save after every check / chance occurrence
Prevent manual saves within combat

Ironman is most likely to be thing, but not until later in EA or directly into release. In the meantime please dont force us scummers to abide to your virtues

Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
In the Alpha currently I found myself save scumming simply because I want to know all the different dialogues that occur rather thand having multiple saves following multiple routes. But I do get that some people want the best possible outcome every time.

You know that you can just don't click that save buttom?

K
apprentice
apprentice
K
Yes something like this, also having some of the rolls obfuscated so you arent sure if you actually made a skill check or not, with out it showing up in the chat.
Ones that are obviously drawing on certain background knowledge might need to stay in however since the intention of the dialogue option should be made clearer to the player.

veteran
Online Content
veteran
Yeah, I hate this. Speaking as someone who doesn't actually save-scum (I hate that term so much by the way) and only really goes back on a choice if I think back and don't feel that what I did matches what my character would likely do in that situation, this should absolutely NOT be the default. There are always modes in these games that limit you to one save file and have perma-death mechanics, they're gonna have one in this sooner or later. But it feels plain wrong to limit other player's experiences of the game in a way that doesn't ACTUALLY improve gameplay meaningfully.

I
apprentice
apprentice
I
Originally Posted by Rouoko
You know that you can just don't click that save button?

But there will be always temptation to do it and to reload. Such option will release players who want to play that path from this feeling. Our choice will be final one. There is no turning back.
You will have feeling of excitement and danger with every choice and dialogue option you make.

I tried doing that on my first playthrough and few times I laughed really hard when my rolls were so bad during dialogues, but I kept going with it.

On my 2nd playthrough, my main character failed checks on Neetie and remained poisoned with no antidote. So I have to either steal it from here or kill her coldblooded

Last edited by Imendil; 13/10/20 12:43 PM.
stranger
stranger
I'm almost certain that an Ironman mode will be implemented by the full release, but for early access, it's in the best interests of development to have people trying a lot of different outcomes so they can identify issues from different results.

If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out.
So don't push that buttom! Or just cut yout hand.

K
apprentice
apprentice
K
If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out.
So don't push that buttom! Or just cut yout hand.

or remove the button

enthusiast
enthusiast
I'm sure there will be a game mode where save scumming won't be a thing... later.

Last edited by WarBaby2; 13/10/20 01:14 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
This is fine, but right now it's not worthwhile. There are too many glitchy stupid things in the game that cause pointless and stupid accidents to warrant an ironman. For release that would be pretty cool.

I
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I
Originally Posted by kasakoff
Originally Posted by iPooUnicorns
option available when creating a new character

dont force us scummers to abide to your virtues

?

I
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I
You know that you can just don't click that save buttom?

Originally Posted by iPooUnicorns

*Yes I know I can choose not to save scum, but so long as I have the option to, I will abuse it.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Willpower. Willpower is your answer.

K
apprentice
apprentice
K
Originally Posted by Sadurian
Willpower. Willpower is your answer.

Settling for the world you were given is defeatism. OP is a glorious hero battling the tyranny of the save system

You invested too low points in Wisdom so you lose all willpower checks.

H
stranger
stranger
H
Originally Posted by Imendil
You know that you can just don't click that save button?

But there will be always temptation to do it and to reload. Such option will release players who want to play that path from this feeling. Our choice will be final one.

How about temptation to have backup save file manually copied from save folder?

veteran
Online Sad
veteran
Hey OP, as someone who totally supports the idea of saving and reloading, and who freely does it all the time because I see nothing wrong with it at all, I totally support your request because you asked for it as an option. I am all for options that allow different people to enjoy the game their way without taking away other people's ability to also enjoy the game their way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard