Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2020
P
member
OP Offline
member
P
Joined: Oct 2020
I would SO love for this forum to be on Discourse instead of this 1990s thing we've got going on.

Maybe even just for BG3? Sure, there's a bunch of early access stuff now, but that'll all change so fast that it wouldn't be a huge loss to start fresh and not even bother migrating posts.

Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Larian Studios
Offline
Larian Studios
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada

There are plans to update the forum eventually (the main issue being able to reliably migrate all of the existing data).

Joined: May 2010
Location: Oxford
Duchess of Gorgombert
Offline
Duchess of Gorgombert
Joined: May 2010
Location: Oxford
I dunno. I think it would be good to update but there've been so many examples of disastrously horrible forum software (e.g. both of Bethsoft's attempts, EA's forums and so on) that I'm feeling slightly wary of what's on offer. They're not all like that but some of the weirdly popular software is unpleasant and lacks even basic usability.


J'aime le fromage.
Joined: Oct 2020
P
member
OP Offline
member
P
Joined: Oct 2020
This is why I suggest Discourse. It's quite different from this old-style forum, but it's an intelligent re-think of what makes community discussion take a look. If it's a possibility at all,


And, on migrating: seems like BG3 is a good time for a clean slate. smile

Joined: Oct 2020
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Postwave
I would SO love for this forum to be on Discourse instead of this 1990s thing we've got going on.

Maybe even just for BG3? Sure, there's a bunch of early access stuff now, but that'll all change so fast that it wouldn't be a huge loss to start fresh and not even bother migrating posts.

I love this 1990s thing, makes me feel like I'm really talking about Baldur's Gate.

Joined: Oct 2020
P
member
OP Offline
member
P
Joined: Oct 2020
LOL. It also really, really makes ongoing conversation hard. Basically, it's impossible to do anything but:

1) follow just the latest posts even when they're repeats
2) have long involved back and forth arguments which drift off topic

Neither of those are a great experience.

Joined: Oct 2020
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Postwave
2) have long involved back and forth arguments which drift off topic


I'm going to tell you, this has more to do with the audience than the software.

Joined: Oct 2020
P
member
OP Offline
member
P
Joined: Oct 2020
Having experience with communities that tend to get into this kind of thing, the software really can have an influence. At the very least, it can shuttle those things off into their threads. And it's easier to have other conversations that this model doesn't really do well.

Joined: Nov 2020
M
stranger
Offline
stranger
M
Joined: Nov 2020
Originally Posted by vometia
I dunno. I think it would be good to update but there've been so many examples of disastrously horrible forum software (e.g. both of Bethsoft's attempts, EA's forums and so on) that I'm feeling slightly wary of what's on offer. They're not all like that but some of the weirdly popular software is unpleasant and lacks even basic usability.

I think you are underestimating how horrible the current software is - for new users at least. I came here to report bugs/feedback for BG3 EA and I had to triple check that this really is the official forum of the game and not some archived 90s bulletin board. Then I noticed it is impossible to attach pictures or save files without uploading them elsewhere first. While I'm writing this an honest-to-god XmasJump.gif is clapping at me because ICQ smilies are fun I guess...?
And at least for BG3, where the current emphasis seems to be providing feedback, it is very hard to get an overview which bugs/concerns have already been reported, there is no way of voting to get a sense how controversial or not a claim is, which topics the devs are aware of etc. There are no reporting templates, so unsurprisingly people dump repetitive lists of all their grievances or just provide a single sentence without any reproduction steps.

There are risks associated with new software, yes. But people who are willing to get their hands dirty in a very unfinished game are more likely to put up with such troubles than an interface that was fresh when BG1 came out. BG3 already sold a million copies for 60 bucks a piece. Other than last year, the best time to upgrade would be right now.


Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5