Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
stranger
stranger
R
I think OP is far from being right...BUT even loving DOS series this game named BG3 for me feels like another DOS game with some watered Forgotten Realms sauce splashed on it. Imo Baldurs Gate deserves way more effort than basically copypaste of DOS.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Another grognard chiming in here. I've played since 1979 and love what they've done with 5e. It's my favorite edition of the game since 2nd. I think it's translated remarkably well to BG3. Not 100%, but that would be impossible. Yes - there are some obvious Divinity 2 "feels" about the game, but that (in my mind) is not a bad thing. I love what I'm seeing so far and hope they keep it up - this DOES feel like D&D, The Realms, etc.

As for the OP - good god man - use autocorrect at the very least. My eyeballs were bleeding before I got half way through that rambling mess of a post. Sorry - I can't take any of it seriously when it looks like it's been composed by a 2nd grader on a sugar high.

Finally - if Minsc & Boo don't make an appearance I will riot. With signs and everything! grin

T
T
I dont mind the Larian take on using the terrain to solve combat encounters but I think BG3 is missing the 5E rule spice by a lot. Its still a Larian game so Larian philosophy will be present but the consumer base is coming here for Baldurs Gate and D&D ruleset too I believe.

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
Another AD&D playet from the class of '79 here. I don't see anythong wrong with BG3. It isn't AD&D or 2d iso, but it was never going to be.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Takamori
I dont mind the Larian take on using the terrain to solve combat encounters but I think BG3 is missing the 5E rule spice by a lot. Its still a Larian game so Larian philosophy will be present but the consumer base is coming here for Baldurs Gate and D&D ruleset too I believe.

Every time I've played D&D (3.5, Pathfinder, and now 5E), the DM has been one of those 'environmental' people.
Cast a fire spell in a room with objects that can burst into flames? They will.
Cast an ice spell on wet ground/water? Slippery time!
Cast an electric spell on someone in platemail/chainmail? Have an extra point or two of damage!

Heck, I recall a time we were stranded in a frozen area when our airship crashed. No snow, just LOTS of ice.
So I broke ice off into a pot, put the pot on stilts, and cast Heat Metal; had water for us to drink in just a few moments!

The BG3 having environmental effects does not seem odd to me.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Same here. Such matters are usually down to the GM playing the story rather than strictly looking at the rules. I certainly look at possible side-effects if the players interact with the terrain.

T
T
Originally Posted by Eguzky
Originally Posted by Takamori

Every time I've played D&D (3.5, Pathfinder, and now 5E), the DM has been one of those 'environmental' people.
Cast a fire spell in a room with objects that can burst into flames? They will.
Cast an ice spell on wet ground/water? Slippery time!
Cast an electric spell on someone in platemail/chainmail? Have an extra point or two of damage!

Heck, I recall a time we were stranded in a frozen area when our airship crashed. No snow, just LOTS of ice.
So I broke ice off into a pot, put the pot on stilts, and cast Heat Metal; had water for us to drink in just a few moments!

The BG3 having environmental effects does not seem odd to me.

The environmental effects don't bother me at all, throwing oil flasks and setting then on fire is a classic in any D&D table, but I think the core rules in BG3 is missing some stuff like the Variant rules, equipment customization, making magics items an actual finding not just throwing randomly in encounters and having the items respect the D&D5E loot table not having random variants with different values. Its giving player agency and respecting player intellect, you don't need to throw MMO conventions to name your magic items for example, its would be interesting to just have a single UI element informing the player that they were able to detect a magic aura in the item and then figure out what it does when they find it.

C
stranger
stranger
C
Saying you don't like BG3 because it is on a different ruleset is like saying you don't like D&D because it evolves over time.
A game/company/whatever that does not change over time, is going to get lost sooner or later.
And imagine you would try to sell someone who doesn't know much about D&D rulesets a videogame based on 2nd edition, they would absolutely refund BG3. I can't imagine someone actually "wasting" their time (as in those rules are no longer of any importance anymore nowadays) reading dozens upon dozens of rules just to play BG3

M
Mky Offline
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by DumbleDorf
Unlike you, I have already learned a long time ago that we will never ever ever ever get any more games like BG1&2. The only thing we can get is this game right here using the latest ruleset, because people like the OP never actually asked WOTC for more AD&2 2.0 games.

Thanks for obsidian Entertainment and Owlcat games... Both made recent and awsome games based either on an adaptation of d&d ruleset (pillars of eternity) or on an actual version of the said rules (pathfinder kingmaker). Remember that neverwinter Nights was well received by BG fans even if the game were not based on aD&D 2.0, so were Pillars and Pathfinder.
Therefor, speaking about rules and mechanics i truly think that both studios would have been better candidates than Larian studio to design BG3. Anyway they'll continue releasing games in the future close to what they already made.

Originally Posted by Eguzky
I am 100% convinced this is yet another troll post about how this is 'DOS 3'. I'm not going to go, point by point, on how you are wrong, so I'll be concise:

1) Everything you said a bout the rules is wrong. There are no 'BG rules'. It's D&D Rules. And this is 5E. Anyone can multiclass. Spells can miss. D&D is turn based. Clerics have offensive spells.

2) 'Miss' in combat is a catch-all term. Either your spell failed because they rolled to resist, or your ranged touch spell failed to hit their armor class, or your attack failed to hit their armor class. Etc. Any time your offense attack fails to do damage, it's a 'Miss'.

3) You can jump in D&D. You can become Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon. There's the Jump spell, and there's feats to jump higher. Being a Monk, you can, if you build properly, get as high as 90 feet in the air. This is not a 'pure DOS system'.

4) This game is based on D&D 5E. Casters can wear heavy armor if they have heavy armor proficiency. That is in the 5E rules.

5) Critical misses are a thing. So are critical hits.

6) The 'law, lore, and world' is Baldur's gate. It's the land of Faerun (in the Forgotten Realms). It's the city of Baldur's Gate. It's the rules of D&D. BG 1 & 2 are canon events in BG3.

7) We only have the evil party members so far. There are good party members. And there's no real alignment system in D&D anymore. That system was too rigid. Plus, good or evil; you have to work together to not have your brain and soul devoured by a baby mindflayer.

I could go on but the more I read your post, the more I'm convinced this is a bait post. This same stuff has been said, daily, for the past 8 months. And it's been wrong, for the past 8 months.

Being fan to the point you're extremely disapointed about the direction a game from your favorite license is taking is being "troll" ?
I'd say that replying to OP using words such as "troll" or the like with unfeigned disdain because you're a fan of the the studio that pushes the said direction, knowing that your pov is mostly shared here, is being troll and maybe more but i'll stop here.

Anyway D&D 5E would not be a problem if Larian were true to it. But they're taking huge liberties from it and are already starting to inject some DoS concepts and mechanics to it.
Here is an exemple from a thread posted on reddit that perfectly highlight what i'm saying :

"Mephit in 5e : Once per day, the mephit has a 25 percent chance of summoning 1d4 mephits of its kind. A summoned mephit appears in an unoccupied space within 60 feet of its summoner, acts as an ally of its summoner, and can't summon other mephits. It remains for 1 minute, until it or its summoner dies, or until its summoner dismisses it as an action."

Larian's interpretation of this, for all intents and purposes is this: "Once per day, the mephit has a 100 percent chance of summoning 1 mephit of its kind. A summoned mephit appears in an unoccupied space within 60 feet of its summoner, acts as an ally of its summoner, and can't summon other mephits."

And there's A LOT of exemple like that : minotaur, phasing spider, gnoll archers... But also about spells, and so on, and so on...

I'll be honest tho even Owlcat Games took liberties when they had to about Pathfinder Kingmaker, but Larian did more than a few necessary liberties they're modifying the DNA of D&D which brings the game close enough to DoS for people to see obvious similarities. No need to talk about their surface fetish...

Last edited by Mky; 13/10/20 08:48 PM.
veteran
veteran
What's the issue with phase spiders?

stranger
stranger
Also, do remember that this is an Early Access, a lot of things still to be polished. The games is looking good and fun, at least for me. I have been a DM for 5ft edition for almost 4 years now and sure, there are things i would like to be changed, but a let's wait and see, suggest, complement and complaint in a civil manner. hehe

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
To piggy back on that question - what's wrong with the gnoll archers? I haven't met the minotaurs yet so can't comment on those.

M
Mky Offline
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem

Ranged poison attack. They can Ethereal Jaunt at will and attack you from ranged instead of having to actually bite you.

Originally Posted by TrollishMcTroll
What's wrong with the gnoll archers? I haven't met the minotaurs yet so can't comment on those.

They share the same problem as minotaurs and a few other encounters : enjoying too many actions per turn w/o actual reasons (no racial traits nor any buffs).

Anway i do keep in mind that this is an EA and that some things will change. But i also doubt that these kind of "issues" will be changed as it is not results from a mistake but something they wanted to do.

Last edited by Mky; 13/10/20 09:39 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, wake me when we leave neverland please Peter

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard