Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 21 of 41 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 40 41
apprentice
apprentice
Great game , 18H in and having a blast

Originally Posted by Slotenpiloot

7. The resting option seems a bit off, if you push the rest button in a dungeon you still end up at a forest, maybe a change of resting scenery would be nice smile

this, it feels wired - maybe when you rest while in a dungeon you dont go to camp but build a small fire in a dungeon or just open bedrolls or something similar

Also please allow to summon multiple creatures and not just 1 per character (saying this based on DOS History)

More freedom with camera

Combat log with more info

U
stranger
stranger
U
Add demonic sounding voices to character creation, please. I don't want my horned, red-skinned devil sounding like Harry Potter, feels bad.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by jayn23

Also please allow to summon multiple creatures and not just 1 per character (saying this based on DOS History)

For this I will be quite interested to see how Larian are going to handle the higher level summoning spells. All are concentration spells, meaning you can't use them multiple times to summon multiple creatures (well for certain spells you can but it would be...bad - Summon Greater/Lesser Demon I'm looking at you). However, some offer variable summoning options that scale by spell level used, which would allow multiple summonings. What would be interesting for these is that, explicitly by RAW, the DM gets to choose exactly what you summon when you use the spell. I'd be interested to see if Larian stick to the rules on this and make the summoned creatures semi-random.

J
stranger
stranger
J
After going through the forum I took my favorite suggestions and added them below. I also referenced the D7D 5e Players Hand Book (PHB) and Dungeon Master’s Guide (DMG) where applicable. I have been a D&D player and DM for years, I love CRPG, especially Larian’s work.

* Party size. Lots of people asking for 6 character parties. This is probably my biggest wish!!!

* Reactions: Many spells and abilities use a characters reaction besides attacks of opportunity. These abilities need at minimum a pop up window or similar to give the player a chance to use the character’s reaction. The Battle master’s Riposte Maneuver quickly eats up a fighter’s limited superiority dice when auto use is set or never has a chance to use ability.

* Cantrips shouldn't cause surface effects unless the surface can happen from it's basic effects (firebolt on grease/web, ray of frost on water/blood). Creating surface effects from nothing is what higher level spells do.

* Improved demarcation of class abilities - eg. scrolls only being usable by classes the spell list appears on, including Wizards only learning spells from their list; make disengage and hide an Action so that Rogue's Cunning Action feature feels significant

* Separate jump from disengage - jump is part of movement, disengage is an action before movement.

* Don't give everyone the ability to disengage/hide as a bonus action. I don't know if rogues get anything to make up for this loss but so far this just seems to just make them feel weaker as a result.

* Find a way to integrate sneak attack into the main/regular attack if possible. So then it can trigger on bonus action attacks and the like.

* Targeting via clicking on portraits.

* Allowing other party members to step in for the dialogue.

* Scar options in character creator would be nice.

* Longbows, shortbows, and crossbows all having the same range doesn't make sense. Longbows and crossbows should have a longer range than shortbows. Additionally many melee items can be thrown.

* Rogues are missing expertise! Rogues are supposed to be very reliable with skills outside of combat, hence their extra proficiencies and able to select some to have double the bonus.

* Ready action: Characters should be able to use their action / bonus action and reaction to set up an attack, spell or other thing to do when a certain condition is met (enemy appears, moves, etc.)

* Rolling a 1 is only an automatic failure on attack rolls, not skill checks.

* Using the 'Highlight' function should also highlight containers and basically everything that is clickable

* Party control. Movement doesn't need better AI, it needs a root and branch rethink. It's better than DOS but I'm still walking into traps and falling off cliffs. Lots of people asking for this.

* Please don't de-clutter the world or reduce the number of scrolls -- Larian got this one right. Loving the loot lust, glad my level 2 wizard always has something to do. Would like to see the numerous empty containers filled with items of mundane nature.

* Make it easy to change appearance

* Hide the helmet!

* Need non-combat XP. This is not something that would be nice; it is downright critical if you want people to use their imagination and try different things. This can be found on page 261 of the DMG.

* Short rests: The short rest mechanic is flawed. A short rest is based on the number of hit dice a character has available. This can be found on page 186 of the PHB.

* Backgrounds should be story-impactful, not only mechanical.

* Shove should be an attack action, not a bonus action. Other feats/ect can turn it into a bonus action.

* All Death Saving Throws for PC's should be rolled manually. Force the game into turn-based mode for the dying character and all nearby characters if a character is making death saves during exploration or other non-combat situations.

* Add in the Variant Human for the +2 to two ability scores of your choice, and a bonus skill proficiency, and Feat feature 

* Keys: Please make a keychain to store all the keys in.

* Starting equipment: Would be awesome to be able to choose the starting equipment for our creating our character. Also, it makes no sense to me to exit the mind flayer pod being armed, we should just pick the stuff off the ground close by or in a corpse. Some of the starting gear seems "too nice looking". I get that Lae'zel is a Githyanki Warrior and Shadowheart a Cleric of Shar, but they were abducted onto an enemy ship and thrust into a situation. As prisoners, should they have this great looking gear? I understand the need for their "Signature Look" but consider more out of story context.

* If an NPC is wearing/wielding something, drop it upon death. It makes no sense for e.g. killing an armour wearing, great axe wielding gnoll for him to drop a bone.

* Companions that are not in the party (i.e. staying in the camp) should not approve/disapprove of anything.

* Evil is not retarded stupid evil: Simply accepting a quest, regardless of my deeper motivations, should not cause companions to disapprove of the choice. What if I'm only taking on the quest in order to get the magical artifact and then murder the quest giver to keep the artifact and the reward? It's dumb.

* Give an option for verbose description of items/spells.

* Lockpicking: Lockpicking something should show a dice roll instead of a divinity progress bar.

* Long-rest: The current implementation is immersions breaking and feels very forced. If it was meant for the purpose of companions speaking with you, they can do it during travel or when clicking long-rest. For instance when you are neck-deep inside the goblin lair completely surrounded by enemies it makes no sense to rest. The system for resting in the originals was perfect... Some places you could rest, others not so much. If you attempted to rest in a potentially dangerous place you had to accept that risk. This made resource management when exploring dungeons something to keep in mind as poor management of these resources could very easily get you killed. In BG3 it's free, exempt of any risk or consequence and can be done anywhere (including the dumbest of places). Additionally when you do rest doing more things while resting like, preparing spells, learning spells, crafting, sharpening blades (small temp buff?), cooking food, keeping watch, hiding the camp, hunting for food, carousing, researching, training, etc. Downtime activities can be found on page 187 of the PHB. A system similar to the Pathfinder Kingmaker camping mechanics would be inspired.

* Great Weapon Master (GWM): Please please stick to the 5e rules and make it optional to use. GWM's efficiency is always dependent on the characters to-hit modifier and the enemies AC. Especially in early levels a forced -5 on hit is really hurting. This can be found on page 167 of the PHB.

* Amount of Spells/Grenades on Enemies is way too high. If every enemy mob can either AOE my party or use spells then the current amount of enemies per encounter is just way too high

* Please let Companions automatically jump when the currently controlled character jumps because it is tedious to do this 4 times and sometimes the AI will let the other companions walk to the spot where you jumped if there is a way to walk there

* Improve the pathfinding on the maps. If there is a clear path to a door and I click the door I do not want to be greeted with the "You can only reach this spot using Jump" message

*  Add some kind of appendix/log book to consolidate all documents once read.

* Puzzle speed. Wasn't sure what to put this under. The moon puzzle is extremely tedious. I LIKE the puzzle. I do not like how long it takes each wheel to spin. I know it's stone. Consider speeding it up slightly.

* Letting the player cast spells at higher levels by right clicking the icon on the hotbar, rather than needing multiple instances of the icon on their hotbar.

* Passive Checks: passive checks create a minimum value a character can roll. A players Passive skill is 8+Proficiency+Ability Modifier. The most common passive check in D&D 5e is perception, A player with a +2 wisdom modifier, a +2 proficiency would have a passive perception of 12. Thus automatically succeed any perception skill check of DC 12 and below. This is on page 175 of PHB.

* When a fight breaks out the hidden characters have FREE ROAM to move however they want and I can literally just sit on my turn until I have them setup perfectly. The solution to this is that the entire party should be forced into a turn based mode within a bigger combat vicinity to better represent the stretched out seconds in combat. Since combat sequences in DnD are stretched where one turn is 6 seconds. Maybe have a sound queue or just able to hear attacks and actions being made as you get closer to indicate when separate party members are nearing the combat radius to force turn based mode.

* Skills with Different Abilities: Skills do not have to be directly tied to abilities in all cases. For example, Intimidation is generally tied to charisma, but a good DM will often allow characters to use other abilities. So Intimation Strength would be appropriate in some situations for some characters. I.E. if a hulking barbarian uses a display of strength to intimidate an NPC. This is on Page 175 of the PHB.

* Food and Water: While I don’t want to turn the game into a survival game, food and water are a big part of adventuring in D&D. Going without causes Exhaustion which is very detrimental condition. This can be found on Page 185 of the PHB.

* Flanking and Facing: Flanking and Facing are optional rules found in the DMG. These rules add depth to combat by granting advantage on attacks. This can be found on page 251 and 252 of the DMG.

* Cover: Please add a cover mechanic. The 5e rules for cover can be found on page 196 of the PHB.

* Please add the Dodge action. The 5e rules for the Dodge action can be found on page 192 of the PHB.

O
journeyman
journeyman
O
Height should not confer Disadvantage to hit a creature, nor that creature Advantage to hit you.

While an argument can be made that height should confer *an* advantage, granting *advantage* is too powerful in how much it unbalances the system the game is built on. Even basic flying enemies become unfun to fight as you spend turn after turn missing. This vastly reduces the power level of certain classes, and radically changes the dynamic on certain spells. A whole party of wizards with Magic Missile becomes considerably better at ranged combat than a whole party of sharpshooting rangers with Archery

To put this in perspective to players who don't understand the system, two EQUALLY MATCHED CREATURES, when separated by a few feet of height in Baldur's Gate 3, give the elevated creature a 3:1 advantage! This means that if you thought we would ever be capable of fighting a dragon in Baldur's Gate 3, you are sorely mistaken, unless they simply don't fly.

This might make sense in a game like Divinity, where every class has incredible mobility, but few classes in BG (even with Jump) have mobility like that. The system that you are using for this game is NOT DESIGNED for the mechanical equivalent of invisibility to be granted with a small height increase.

We can see in this screenshot, a Spectator that is 20 feet away, and obviously above me, I have a 36% chance to hit it as a level 4 character with 18 charisma. A Spectator is a CR3 creature (so this should be an easy encounter) which has the Armor Class of 14, so I should have a high chance to hit it, but instead I have ~35% chance to hit it. To put this in perspective, this is the *same* chance this character would have to hit an Iron Golem, a CR *16* creature that is NOTABLE for having a high armor class.

[Linked Image]

I would like to point out that with NO mechanical advantage to height, the enemy still has a substantial advantage in terms of positioning, denying cover to the lower combatants, denying combat to high-damage melee opponents, and ability to reposition. To put it bluntly: Height also provides a hell of an advantage without mechanically doing the same thing being unseen

Last edited by override367; 13/10/20 07:07 PM.
O
journeyman
journeyman
O
Originally Posted by Some_Twerp753
Cantrip damage like acid shouldn't cause -2AC if it's not in the rulebook; Fire Bolt should not leave a fiery area with nothing to set on fire, Ray of Frost should only freeze the ground when there's liquid on it, etc. -- maybe rein in surface effects in general (debate)

I prefer the surface system for what it's worth. Right now they have some utility for setting up chain reactions with a well placed web or barrel, while with the Rules As Written (RAW) it's pretty much 'pick damage type' for a ranged attack.

I would counter by looking at the source game, and how it has been balanced. Virtually all spells that leave lingering damage are Concentration.

Speaking of Concentration:

-Remove ground effects from Cantrips OR allow us to choose between the ground effect or the attack roll
-If a ground effect is created, it needs a SAVING THROW to completely avoid it.
-Currently, Concentration is incredibly difficult, a single firebolt can provoke up to FOUR concentration saving throws while concentrating on a spell. This is a CANTRIP. Running across a burning floor can produce MANY saving throws.
-Moving across surfaces: In 5th edition, almost without exception, you take damage if you END YOUR TURN in a hazard, meaning that if you can scramble out of it with your movement, you take no damage. I don't think most of us would care that much about the cantrip surfaces if this was the case

Last edited by override367; 13/10/20 07:20 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I would just like to echo the post I made today.
Because I am sure it will be buried eventually.

Please for allow us to choose our starting armor and customize it in the character creation menu.

Yes i know the system is not complete, but basing myself on DOS2, I feel like character creation is severely lacking. Yes I would love to have more faces, hairs, tattoos or makeup. But thats not enough!
We need more body types (at least give us a muscular option), we need scars, visible jewelry, bandages, eye patches and... yes our starting armor sets as well.

If I choose a drow noble ranger why would he or she be wearing the same gear that a halfling is wearing?

Its a terrible feeling to appear in all those cool dialogue scenes wearing something that does not even remotely resemble something your character would have been wearing. And its even worse when you have to spend the entire game looking for gear that you think you should have originally been wearing in the first place. Its not like the mind flayers took all of our gear.

Maybe... allow us to choose among a dozen armors, maybe some of them could be race specific like drow or gith before we start the game?
Maybe to add even more variety also allow us to color them for more customization choice, games like ESO allow some texture editing, can something like this be made available?

Its a horrible feeling to spend the entire game hunting for gear that you feel your character should have started with as I mentioned but also thr same thing applies to Origin characters in a different way.

These characters start with some unique armor that makes them so unique and interesting. Its horrible that for gameplay reasons I have to replace their starting armor with typical armor upgrades and make them all look like each other or average. Feels wrong to replace Shadowheart's unique chainmail with something else just for a gameplay upgrade
Its like she loses a piece of her identity.

Why not allow us to make armor upgrades stats only so that we can keep Origin character looks unique with their starting gear.
Same could be applied for the custom characters!

And if a really cool armor is found we could just turn off the feature.
Please don't make me play the whole game looking for the visual look I want for my custom character or force me to make all the unique origin characters wear practically the same armor for gameplay reasons.

Thank you.

R
r4d Offline
stranger
stranger
R
I have two issues I'd just like to bring up, I've not seen it mentioned elsewhere, but pressing space to end your turn when you're on a character should not end or pass everyone's turn. Example, my pc and an ally are fighting, our initiatives are the same (or similar, at the very least the two characters were next to each other on the turn order), I finish moving 50% on my pc, make my attack move, and now I want to stop and go to the next. I press end turn, my ally loses their turn and instead it's the enemies again. I don't want to have to go click on the portrait to change characters. This one is DONE, and I'd like to move on to the next, NOT stop both turns. At the very least, I feel a popup saying 'Are you sure? (insert name here) has not completed their action' to let me know I'm making a mistake that could potentially kill them. Secondly, dragging people into parties is horribly backwards. I want my PC to be the main one in a group, there are four pictures that need to be pulled together, in what order do I need to attach them to each other to get my PC to be the leader? With a little bit of messing around, it becomes obvious, but the point here is that it shouldn't be something that takes any time. Oh, my PC isn't leader, let me just drag them to the front. But no no, that's too easy, you need to pull your PC out and add them again. Another work around would be whomever I have selected should be the leader, not whomever the program has selected due to non-obvious rules. Finally, as a small addition (I didn't check and see if this is out there or not), Lastly, a complaint about the warlock class. I'm unsure if it never happens, but I have NEVER been able to move my hex to another target. I get that it does not say it in game, but it takes my ONLY spell slot at low levels, and does jack shit if the enemy dies too quickly. I understand this game is not 5E, but that is a mechanic that works very well with the warlock, and the fact that one of the most iconic warlock builds (eldritch blaster woooooo) is completely unviable due to a small change to a level 1 spell is.... sad.

S
stranger
stranger
S
What I missed the most in my EA playthrough:
- rolling for ability scores - ain't baldur's gate without spending at least an hour rolling those
- multiclassing - I know, it's coming eventually, still missed it
- comprehensive knowledge sources/tooltips - I spent as much time googling how stuff works in D&D 5e as I spent playing. While a certain degree of that is to be expected for those of us who aren't tabletop players, it's still ill-advised to expect players to learn everything on their own.

What I didn't like in my EA playthrough:
- way too many empty containers

Other than that I liked what I saw. Keep up the good work Larian smile.

E
stranger
stranger
E
So, I start a conversation with NPC and want to use Persuasion to persuade him. I have my +4 in Persuasion from Charisma 19 plus +2 from Proficiency. Total +6 in Persuasion.

I roll the 1d20 and get 1. How can I get just 1 after the roll if I have at least +6 more from Charisma 19 plus +2 from Proficiency? It just doesn't make any sense. And it really pisses off. Even if I roll just 1 it must be at least 1 + 6 = 7, no? Am I wrong? Should not it work so?

Last edited by EcceHomo; 13/10/20 08:36 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Hmmm one other thing that occurred to me: when jumping down to somewhere could we have a visual indication of whether doing so will likely cause damage e.g. the jump circle will turn red if we're jumping too far. At the moment your basically having to eyeball the distance and I assume it can vary by character depending on normal jumping distance or skills.

D
stranger
stranger
D
Maybe since shadowheart dying so much has been brought to your attention, would you consider allowing us to change her ability scores and domain when we first talk to her? She dies alot because she has 9 dexterity and 13 con, and her CD isn't worth the concentration.

Last edited by DijonJ; 13/10/20 09:08 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by EcceHomo
So, I start a conversation with NPC and want to use Persuasion to persuade him. I have my +4 in Persuasion from Charisma 19 plus +2 from Proficiency. Total +6 in Persuasion.

I roll the 1d20 and get 1. How can I get just 1 after the roll if I have at least +6 more from Charisma 19 plus +2 from Proficiency? It just doesn't make any sense. And it really pisses off. Even if I roll just 1 it must be at least 1 + 6 = 7, no? Am I wrong? Should not it work so?

The system doesn't seem to add it to your rolls but reduces the goal roll dice, in some situations at least I think

S
stranger
stranger
S
It would also be nice to be able to specify the size of the mouse cursor, perhaps make it sparkle too like in the original games.

C
stranger
stranger
C
All these people complaining about verbatim D&D rulings is kind of annoying. As a long time player of D&D (Player and recent DM), I've been around many table top enthusiasts. Common ones that I'm seeing here are rules lawyers.

"Cantrips shouldn't cause surface areas as they aren't strong enough to create anything." By that logic Magic itself is a fabrication of nothing to create something and since a cantrip by definition is a "trick" should also not be able to do damage. (RIP Eldritch Blast)

I don't care for rules lawyers. If they care that much about it then they can create a mod that removes surface effects from cantrips. Aside from that I agree with everything else being stated in the forums in terms of majority wants/needs.

K
stranger
stranger
K
Just a few things. Real big fan of the game and can’t wait to see the final product come out!

An indicator or prompt that says your character is engaged or will pass by an enemy. I think there is a small red indicator at the enemy’s feet but not noticeable and easy to forget.

The drag and click UI for the inventory is slow/sluggish/doesn’t quite feel right.

BUG when passing my party by a group of people someone was damaging the NPCs causing combat to occur/prison.

BUG talking with the smith in Druid circle makes him appear below the house for some reason.

When inside structures if the roof goes away (to see inside) and you click to move don’t make it think you want to get on top of the roof.

When do floor effects disappear? went to camp to rest and came back a new acid was still around...

BUG Enemies are able to shoot through objects (if I’m on a cliff, attack and pull back, the enemy can fire a shot that hits me and I watch the arrow go through the cliff face)

Can you drag a body out of a hazard before reviving?

Why not more frequent auto saves? Or at least auto save on short/long rest.

If a container is empty don’t pop up inventory. You can still right click to open in case you want to put something inside but default is loot or find nothing. Too many closing empty container screens

Be able to pan camera down while still being zoomed out or make it easy to re-center camera

Elemental arrows seem expensive or make them multi use (10x)

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
This is probably going to just echo a lot of what other people have already said, or even things I've already said previously, but here goes.

1: Please for the love of all that is good, don't let cantrips create surfaces with some preparation going into it. For example, if I want to set an area on fire with a Firebolt cantrip, I should need to put something flammable like oil in that area first, not just be able to spam enough firebolts each turn to make that area into a giant lake of fire. Ice shouldn't just magically appear unless it has something like water to freeze. And please, I am begging you here Larian, get rid of Acid Splash reducing AC along with any other spells or abilities you've rewritten to reduce AC, it's seriously OP especially when combined with the almost constant high ground advantage.

2: As I saw someone above me say (huge +1 to you for that override367) don't give us actual Advantage on things just for being on the high ground. It's seriously overpowered, especially in a world where it seems harder to not have the high ground than to have it. Being higher than your opponent already has considerable advantages just from being able to get an angle on them when they're behind cover sometimes, making it harder for the ones on the low ground to reposition to an area you can't hit them from the high ground, and making it harder for melee characters to cross the area to reach you before they get slaughtered. This worked out ok in DOS2 because even melee characters had access to abilities that basically let them teleport up to the high ground instantly, but D&D doesn't and shouldn't have that. Another advantage to having the high ground, assuming a "fog of war" mechanic comes to the game as many people seem to be asking for, would be that you could see more of the battlefield.

3: Custom character backstory. I know there was a podcast where one of the devs said that the custom PC's would have just as much detail as the Origin characters, but there's a small problem with this. You guys decided my characters backstory for me? Nuh uh, nope, no thanks. If I wanted to play as a character backstory already completely written beforehand, I would play one of the Origin characters who seem to have far flashier backgrounds anyway. I want at least a little control over my characters background. You can even do it via a slightly more robust "tag" system like DOS2 had, just let me choose things like where my character is originally from, a background of some kind (blacksmith, sailor, etc etc), things like that. If my "custom" characters already has an entirely prewritten background to them that I didn't have any input on, how is this character custom to me? All I did was change the hair and eyes, everything else about them will always stay the same. I wanna play a Drow on all of my playthroughs then I have to put up with the exact same backstory every single time? That isn't a custom character, it's an Origin character that I can give a mohawk to.

4: The monsters need to, at least for the most part, stick to the PHB and Monster Manual. You've broken the entire flow of D&D with your rewrites by this point Larian, but the monsters too? Come on. I can get past the monsters by listed by levels instead of challenge ratings, but create them as if they are monsters, not PC's. The Gnolls are simply Gnolls with a few variants that give some different abilities, not Level 4 Gnoll Warrior God or something, they shouldn't get to attack 3 times in a single action and then follow that up with a bonus action bite attack. That's 4 attacks at level 4 which is more than my actual Warrior character can pull off at the same level! Also, I know the Gnoll Warlord we come across is supposed to be some kind of bigshot, but the weapon it uses is stupidly broken. 17 bludgeoning damage with another 47 psychic damage from a level 5 enemy? That's enough damage to put a level 6 Warrior (at least) in the ground. I get that it's supposed to be a big shot boss fight, but seriously tone it down. It's supposed to be a threat, not a freaking massacre.

5: We need to receive XP for more than just killing things, DOS2 had this problem as well. The only way to get XP is to kill enemies, so once you were done with everyone in Fort Joy what did you do? You murdered every last one of them of course, because you can't fall behind in levels or you'll end up getting stuck later down the road. BG3 now has the same problem, no matter how clever you are and how much combat you can manage to avoid through either dialogue or sneaking past to get what you want without being seen, you'll have to come back and kill them anyway because otherwise you'll never be able to progress since you'll be stuck at low levels if you don't.

6: Resting mechanics need a bit of tweaking, we shouldn't be able to take a risk free long rest in the middle of a dungeon with enemies on the other side of a door right after we just murdered their friends and cause a lot of noise doing it. And the fact that you just magically teleport back to your camp and then reappear back in the dungeon afterwards? Give us different environments depending on where we were when we hit the long rest button, or at the very least make it feel like we actually are camping out in the middle of the forest where plenty of danger lurks with some random encounter chances. Seriously, I know for a fact this place is crawling with goblins but not a single goblin or a pack of wolves or something stumbles across my camp? Cmon now. Also, give us at least 2 short rests, only having 1 short rest before we have to do a long rest is a serious pain for warlocks and others with short rest ability cooldowns.

7:Give us an option to hide helmets on a per character basis. My warrior looks really good in their steel helmet, but the leather helmet on my warlock looks dreadful.

8:Please either reduce the number of containers, make most of them into simple set pieces that cannot be looted, or at least put something into most of them so they feel like they serve some purpose beyond just being a bunch of empty barrels for me to spend the next 5 minutes searching only to come up empty handed.

9: Jumping/Disengaging need to be made into their own separate things. If I want to disengage from an enemy and run further from them, I should be able to do that without jumping around like a frog on meth. If I want to try jumping up somewhere and don't disengage first, then I should provoke an Attack of Opportunity. Jumping should be movement based and not take an action or bonus action, and disengaging needs to be an action since being able to use a bonus action to disengage is part of what makes the rogue class different and unique.

10: Holding actions, this would most likely need to be limited since it is a video game and you can't specify what you want to trigger it, but give us the option to select and attack and then hold it until an enemy moves within range of that attack. Basically it would be treated like the "overwatch" action from XCOM or something, so if my wizard can't cast a spell at any enemies from his current location, he can at least hold a spell to use for when they move into range.

11: Skill modifiers are supposed to be added after the roll, not deducted from the DC when doing skill checks and such. If I have a +5 in charisma and roll a persuasion check with a DC of say 6, and I roll a 1 on it then it is not supposed to be an auto fail, it should then add my +5 CHA modifier to that 1 which makes it a 6, meaning I pass the skill check.

12: Inventory clutter. We need a "sort all" button of some kind for better inventory management, I'm so sick and tired of having to click and drag everything in my inventory to sort it when a simple click of a button is something that is completely doable in games today. Also some way of reducing the huge clutter is making items more stackable, currently it seems like most of the herbs/plants don't stack even if they're the same exact thing for some reason. And keys as well, we need either some kind of key ring that all our keys get added to automatically, or keys simply need to be removed from the inventory automatically after use. All the keys I've come across in game so far seem to be a one use deal, but I'm not sure which ones go to what item and if I've used that key yet or not. Simply getting rid of the one off keys we've used automatically would reduce clutter by so much.

13: Starting equipment needs to be selectable based off of the class/subclass we choose at the start, the way it is in the PHB. My warlock should have the choice of starting with a light crossbow and 20 bolts for it or a simple weapon of my choice, along with my leather armor and dagger. Warriors should be able to choose to start with either chain mail or leather armor, a martial weapon and a shield or 2 martial weapons, etc etc. This yet again goes into the feeling of it not really being my own custom character, but simply an Origin character that I can rename and change the looks of.

14: Lockpicking should be decided by a dice roll, not a progress bar. I should see a dice roll and know right then whether or not I successfully picked the lock, not have to wait for a progress bar before it tells me whether I failed or not. For a D&D game, our dice rolls sure don't seem to have much impact or even be visible in some things where they should be. I'm fine with not seeing a dice roll every single time an attack happens in combat, but out of combat dice rolling should be a bit more prominent.

15: Special arrows/throwables/spell casters needs to be toned down a bit. I get it, you want to add a little Divinity flavor to your game and that's fine, I'm all for that really. But instead of some Divinity flavor added to your D&D game, you made a Divinity game with a little bit of D&D flavor to it, which is not what I was told I would be buying. Nobody is saying to completely remove all Divinity qualities from the game, but they really need to be toned down. Not everything should create a surface, not every archer needs to be loaded down with acid arrows, and not every enemy encounter should include a spell caster. Goblins aren't exactly known for their spell casting abilities, so why do I keep running into hordes of goblins tossing spells around constantly? A horde of goblins rushing at you with swords and shooting arrows at you is already daunting enough, giving every group of goblins a magic caster as well is just plain overkill, not to mention stupid. Some archers should have a small amount of special arrows, not most archers with lots of them. It doesn't make them feel special if they're all over the place. I should find an acid arrow and want to save it for a tough situation because it's a rare item, not just use it right away cause I know I'll get at least 3 more within 30 minutes. Same with throwables like acid vials and alchemists fire.

16:The spell UI needs a bit of an overhaul, especially in terms of casting spells at a higher level. Warlock has the luxury of all their spells and spell slots simply being upgraded automatically and not being able to cast the lower level versions of those spells at all anymore. But all the other magic casters have to deal with massive amounts of clutter caused by them now being able to cast spells at 1st or 2nd level, which creates a second icon on the hotbar. I'm terrified to see what the hotbar will look like when 3rd and 4th level spells come into play. Once you gain the ability to cast spells at a higher level, it should include a pop out menu like the Find Familiar and Hex spells do, where a box pops out above the hotbar with a selection to choose from. So when you select Magic Missiles, that same box should appear with the options for you to choose what level you want to cast it at.

17: Passive checks really need to be looked at. A passive perception check isn't a dice roll, it's a set of numbers on your character sheet. If my character makes a passive perception check while wandering around the world, it shouldn't roll a die to determine if I spot something or not, it should take my passive perception number and apply it to the DC of the passive perception check. Then I either pass or fail based on that number. I shouldn't be able to fail a passive perception check, then reload the save and pass it on the next go. I either pass it or fail it, no dice rolling and random chance involved.

18: Dodge action needs to be added, as does cover mechanics. Adding the cover mechanics would also make having high ground more useful even without it giving Advantage. Say there's a rock blocking half my characters body from the archers, I now have half cover which gives me a +2 to my AC and DEX saving throws. Now if the archers can get up higher so that it negates the cover, that gives them a reason to actually gain the high ground without giving them Advantage on rolls.

19: Skill checks in conversation need to be divided up between the stats a little more. Intimidation is technically a Charisma roll, but making it a Strength check would make high STR characters actually useful in conversations, rather than their only use being to hit things really hard. My party shouldn't have to rely on my warlock to do all the talking just because their class dictates they need a high Charisma because of their spell casting.

20: The amount of Auto Saves is way too low, I'm more likely to just drop the game for the rest of the day if I die and have to replay through the last hour and a half of things I did. Either make the auto save happen more often, give an option in the setting to adjust how often the game auto saves, or cause auto saves on short/long rests.

21: The final thing I can come up with at the moment is really just the the camera and pathing need some adjusting, trying to navigate through buildings is tedious when the camera doesn't want to give me a decent look inside the house, and when I click to move somewhere in the house the pathing shouldn't try to put me on the roof. Also been having an issue with my PC jumping off of ledges like some kind of lemming when they are literally standing next to the ladder to get down, and all the companions use the ladder to get down just fine. Maybe my PC is just dumb though, wouldn't know since her entire backstory is unknown to me.

Last edited by Pupito; 14/10/20 01:04 AM.
stranger
stranger
Brand new to D&D 5th Ed. Here I am trying to wrap my head around the rules. The very first enemies you face, Imps, and the Gith is hitting for less then 4 DAM with a STR of 17.

How does that possibly happen?! I'm super confused.

Oh, turns out they have slashing resistance. (Figured that out on my second playthrough.)

Yeah, maybe don't do that.

T
stranger
stranger
T
If Larian wants us to use the demonic eyes then they need to fix them. Those eyes look amazing on Tieflings...but thats it. For all other races the demoic eyes look like crap. Theres so mcuh more detail in them when theyre on a tiefling. Would look awesome on other races if the details were the same.

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Originally Posted by Balasarius
Brand new to D&D 5th Ed. Here I am trying to wrap my head around the rules. The very first enemies you face, Imps, and the Gith is hitting for less then 4 DAM with a STR of 17.

How does that possibly happen?! I'm super confused.

Oh, turns out they have slashing resistance. (Figured that out on my second playthrough.)

Yeah, maybe don't do that.

Having a high STR stat in 5e doesn't necessarily mean you'll be doing tons of damage. Your strength modifier helps add to your chance to hit and the damage you do, sure, but if you roll a 1 for your damage having a +2 from STR is still only going to net you 3 damage. Damage in D&D is a roll of the die, I've gotten natural 20's (a critical hit) in BG3 and then the damage was still pretty low because the way BG3 handles the crits is you get double the damage dice, so a weapon that does 1d6 damage will roll 2d6 instead, but that still means you could end up rolling really low damage.

Page 21 of 41 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 40 41

Link Copied to Clipboard