Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Drow do not have grey skin. Period. They're not duergar. Keep the current shades as options for players I guess, but it's ridiculous to me that this is an official D&D game and they don't have ebon skin like they're supposed to. They aren't purple; they aren't grey. They have jet-black skin. I know the game is incredibly far off, so please give this option down the line as it's the correct move.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Madmartigan
Drow do not have grey skin. Period. They're not duergar. Keep the current shades as options for players I guess, but it's ridiculous to me that this is an official D&D game and they don't have ebon skin like they're supposed to. They aren't purple; they aren't grey. They have jet-black skin. I know the game is incredibly far off, so please give this option down the line as it's the correct move.

+1

C
C
+1

Since they are goin out of thier way to give people "wacky" choices at character creation, I can only assume this is over some political BS. Which is stupid, they are Drow. Drow are jet black or close to it

addict
addict
Can't you select color skin? There is an option to unlock all colors. Is that color not one of them or?

enthusiast
enthusiast
As long as you have the color you want let people make what they want.
Don't be a purist.

journeyman
journeyman
Speaking as a fairly long time realms player, while drow are described as having jet black skin, they've often been DEPICTED in imagery with purple or grey skin. this is mostly, because shading black can be difficult so pure black skin would be difficult to shade and add detail. (Eddiar's portrait is IMHO some of the better drow art in terms of skin tone, and even then the skin is more a dark grey) Also in quite a few bits of older art they're depicted as having purpleish skin, this isn't supposed to be literal nesscarily but an attempt to handle shading.

[img]http://https://miro.medium.com/max/849/0*eZmgFJ3yeGPMXr_p[/img] (see this image as an example)

presumably Larian is simply trying to give people the tools to apper like the drow they may have seen on the cover of books etc.

Last edited by BrianDavion; 13/10/20 08:14 PM.
veteran
veteran
They are just giving us the same options that pretty much every illustrator has used for just about every book cover with a Drow on it. I mean just look at all the Drizzt's out there...

Jeff Easley got him with Blue-Gray skin

Brom and Lockwood had him Purple

Elmore's got him looking all jaundiced and basically Yellow

There are only a few here and there that go full underdark, but even there its usually when he's got his hood up full body shot heheh.

Jet-Black sounds cool as a descriptor, but doesn't translate all that well visually if you're trying to show the forms in 3 dimensions. Minthara is definitely more purple than ebon here, same deal for the default Drow "Who do you dream of?" first option. I agree though the defaults highlighted when you first open the skin tone screen should probably be a little darker on the color scales for Drow characters.

ps. Justin Sweet had the best run I think IWD2. Those are still among the most popular floating around, and closer to the black you're looking for I think. Still its been going down even in this game when you look at Viconia. In addition to making her more classically attractive in the sequel, they lightened her skin from a dark purple, to a light blue. Just kinda the way it looks now in the popular renderings.

Last edited by Black_Elk; 13/10/20 08:48 PM.
N
old hand
old hand
N
Ok, now we get drow SJWs. Man, this is getting silly.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Nyanko

What? Where?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Just unlock the colors, there is a pure black one I'm sure.

Necromancy is just recycling...
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Eddiar
Originally Posted by Nyanko

What? Where?

Don't take the bait.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
T
addict
addict
T
This is more of a practical issue. Pure black as Lloth-sworn drow are described as tends to be really hard to pull off in animation. Most of the time I've seen it attempted it comes across pretty bad-looking.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Drow have wide variety of skin color. But jet-black surely NOT one of them.

apprentice
apprentice
[Linked Image]

S
stranger
stranger
S
Originally Posted by Madmartigan

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Drow#Coloration
Per the Forgotten Realms wiki,
The skin of the drow was dark grey[24], jet-black[22] or obsidian[15] (with shades of blue).[9][23][21] An exception were the albino drow, the Szarkai.[22]

Note the wiki references, and the specific books mentioned.

addict
addict
I went for dark grey with slight tints of purple.

I do agree though that many of the colors offered are too far from the lore, like bright purple or violet.
- though it is cool to offer the albino version (why not).

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
I was a bit confused by how they looked more like moon elves.

I know those aren't a thing in 5e for some odd reason, move towards more generic setting maybe, but you can easily make a Moon Elf looking Drow. Which is a plus? I think?

stranger
stranger
I don't mind players having crazy options for Drow characters. I don't even thing that literally making NPC drow pitch black is a good move artistically. I do however really really want drow NPCs to have much darker skin tones to clearly distinguish them from other elves.

stranger
stranger
God, the level of buttherd nerds on these forums is astounding. This is why D&D and TTRPGs were such a public joke for decades; virulently fragile gatekeeping men-children that think every change is some “sjw” plot out to spite them right in their virginity.

There are plenty of color options right now to suit 95/100 depictions of a drow that have ever existed, and if that's still not enough then some puritan will make a mod for it eventually.

Last edited by Panicintrinsica; 14/10/20 04:02 AM.
T
stranger
stranger
T
Originally Posted by Panicintrinsica
God, the level of buttherd nerds on these forms is astounding. This is why D&D and TTRPGs were such a public joke for decades; virulently fragile gatekeeping men-children that think every change is some “sjw” plot out to spite them right in their virginity.

There are plenty of color options right now to suit 95/100 depictions of a drow that has existed, and if that's still not enough then some puritan will make a mode for it eventually.

I know I shouldn't fuel this fire but this is the best description i've heard all day. +100 beautiful description

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard