S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
I don't need to sound like a UFO preparing to take off when I jump. +1

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Uncle Lester
I'd also tone down some low-level spells, especially cantrips. A huge expressive pose and a burst of light when casting True Strike? Way too much imo.

I actually love some of the spell animations and the sense of "kick" they have.
Casters in a lot of games look like wimps doing parlor tricks, here even a basic a firebolt looks excellent in terms of visual feedback (way above its actual effectiveness, to be honest).

What I'm all in favor of toning down are:
- permanent buffs and so on, which should all be less visual noisy and the visual effect DEACTIVATED OUT OF COMBAT (even in the old Baldur'r Gate Games I hated how out of combat your high level party started looking like a bunch of walking Christmas trees).
- abilities and skill that should look like "superhuman people performing at peak physical level" rather than use magical effects.
- physics and limitations of falling, launching heavy objects, shooting arrows and bolts, etc. They should ideally look more like their real world counterparts and less like cartoony approximations. If you push a person from a cliff, that person will tend tto fly one meter or two away at most and then almost entirely in vertical, not in a extremely pronounced arc. Same with arrows and bolts. And an incredibly strong man could barely lift a barrel few centimeters from the ground, not throw them around at meters of distance. That's ogre strength.

Last edited by Tuco; 14/10/20 01:04 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
journeyman
journeyman
Completely agree with OP.

M
stranger
stranger
M
I wouldn't mind just having markers for those actions, or just enable/disable for the animations. I'm running on an abacus, so the fewer calculations/animations I throw at it the better.

Originally Posted by Tuco
What I'm all in favor of toning down are:
- permanent buffs and so on, which should all be less visual noisy and the visual effect DEACTIVATED OUT OF COMBAT (even in the old Baldur'r Gate Games I hated how out of combat your high level party started looking like a bunch of walking Christmas trees).

I almost started a new post for that, so I'll tag it here.

A spell like Mage Armor lasts until the next full rest at camp. It looks ridiculous for my party to be walking around with Gale not just outlined in gold, but with sparkly bits and a glowing animation while the rest of the party looks normal.

It's distracting to have one member of the party lit up like a Christmas tree out of combat like that. It should be enough to just show the little icon on the upper left of his character portrait to indicate that Mage Armor is active.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard