Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#693788 13/10/20 03:26 PM
Synaryn Offline OP
OP Offline
So I'm sure other people ran into the issue I had in my first playthrough, where Wyll dies in the first goblin encounter before we even get to talk to him. I didn't even know he was a companion, and hours passed before I found out. Even if he does manage to stay alive, he's very missable in general. It's quite easy to miss his "THE BLADE OF FRONTIERS" voicebark when he's joining the battle, or to pass by him in the tiefling camp and assume he's another NPC with little to say.

When he joins the battle, it should be a dramatic cutscene making it clear, "This guy is important." Give the spell he casts extra visual flair, have the camera follow him up close as he jumps down. Then, when in the grove, have him approach the player when they get close like with Gale. He should be a little more survivable in the fight as well, give him some temporary plot armor or something.

P
P
Yeah, he died immediately in that first fight for me too. On a whim I decided to reload and do it again so he didn't die, and I'm glad I did obviously or else I would have missed out entirely.

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
He died in 2/3 of my playthroughs to the Goblins.

I'm not sure if its an intentional joke considering how he became famous.

H
stranger
stranger
H
Originally Posted by blazerules

Perhaps he bargained to become a well-known swordsman, not a good swordsman smile

journeyman
journeyman
I'm personally fine with this. It makes a world feel alive when you can miss major parts of it, and it's in keeping with the tradition of the series.

Play BG1 or BG2 without a guide and you are very, very likely to miss a companion.

apprentice
apprentice
Have you seen his stats? He is not a good swordsman....

Anything you can do, a bard can do better.
P
P
Originally Posted by Quent
Have you seen his stats? He is not a good swordsman....

If they implement hexblade, he suddenly can be.

D
old hand
old hand
D
He did fine in my playthriugh but 1 of the adventurers at the door did die.

Was he in that fight? Must have mussed it

F
stranger
stranger
F
It would help if the character was better designed. If you want a warlock who can fight in melee, give him the stats for it. His current setup is horrible:

Stats: Str 9, Dex 13, Con 15, Int 14, Wis 11, Cha 16
AC 12, HP 10 (at 1st level)

This is a character who only gets a +1 stat bonus to hit (via DEX), has a horrible AC...but decides to immediately jump into melee. It's pretty obvious that he's a Fiend Warlock that will choose Pact of the Blade once it is implemented...give him a build that makes this work. At a minimum, he needs a higher Dex, which would also increase his armor class.

Here's what I recommend:
Stats: Str 9, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 11, Wis 10, Cha 16
AC 15 (give him Studded Leather to start), HP 10 (at 1st level)

The revised version drops the Int bonus from +2 to +1, but otherwise has stat bonuses as good or better than before, and the Dex is high enough to make him a viable melee combatant with finesse weapons. If he starts with studded leather armor, he can have an AC of 15, which will significantly improve his survivability in the intro scene. The only other thing I would suggest is have him use Armor of Agathys right at the start, so he gets some added durability. The revised version is a person worthy of being called the Blade of Frontiers.

D
stranger
stranger
D
Originally Posted by Yawning Spider
I'm personally fine with this. It makes a world feel alive when you can miss major parts of it, and it's in keeping with the tradition of the series.

Play BG1 or BG2 without a guide and you are very, very likely to miss a companion.

+1

Agree to everything you said.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Haps

Perhaps he bargained to become a well-known swordsman, not a good swordsman smile

I laughed entirely too hard at this. His name should be Wyff. His accuracy is terrible both for weapons and spells.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by odesseiron81
Originally Posted by Haps

I laughed entirely too hard at this. His name should be Wyff. His accuracy is terrible both for weapons and spells.

+1

Remember to choose your words carefully when making a Faustian arrangement, kids.

D
old hand
old hand
D
Originally Posted by Fedifensor
It would help if the character was better designed. If you want a warlock who can fight in melee, give him the stats for it. His current setup is horrible:

This is a character who only gets a +1 stat bonus to hit (via DEX), has a horrible AC...but decides to immediately jump into melee. It's pretty obvious that he's a Fiend Warlock that will choose Pact of the Blade once it is implemented...give him a build that makes this work. At a minimum, he needs a higher Dex, which would also increase his armor class.

Here's what I recommend:

The revised version drops the Int bonus from +2 to +1, but otherwise has stat bonuses as good or better than before, and the Dex is high enough to make him a viable melee combatant with finesse weapons. If he starts with studded leather armor, he can have an AC of 15, which will significantly improve his survivability in the intro scene. The only other thing I would suggest is have him use Armor of Agathys right at the start, so he gets some added durability. The revised version is a person worthy of being called the Blade of Frontiers.

11 int gives you a int mod of +0. Its need to be 12 for that +1.

Id make the stats Str9, dex 16, con14, int12, wis10 and cha 16. Looking at your post I think thats what you meant and with point buy its what stats you can go for. wink with the 11 int youd have 1 point remaining.

Aside from this nitpick. I agree fully.

K
stranger
stranger
K

Here's what I recommend:

I wondered whether him being so physically weak is intended, because he says that during banter that he used to be much stronger. But the tadpole has changed him and made him weaker.

D
old hand
old hand
D
Originally Posted by kathi1212

Here's what I recommend:

I wondered whether him being so physically weak is intended, because he says that during banter that he used to be much stronger. But the tadpole has changed him and made him weaker.

He said that? Do you renember when he brings that up and in what context?

stranger
stranger
I've found Wyll's buggy behaviour and poor design worthy of a haiku:

His fighting was ill,
No blood but his own to spill,
So rest in peace Wyll.

F
stranger
stranger
F
Wyll isn't the only character in the need of revised stats, or even the worst (Shadowheart tops that list), but he is the most likely to die before you have a chance to add him to your party.

D
D
I don't think he needs any more of an intro than he has. I love the fact that you can so easily miss a companion, and that he isn't guaranteed to make it through that fight. Stuff like that makes subsequent playthroughs even more interesting.

F
stranger
stranger
F
It's one thing to be in danger in the fight...it's another when a notable, named character is MORE likely to die than most of the other allies in that fight. This is due to bad stats and bad combat strategy for Wyll, something that can be easily corrected by the developers.

Synaryn Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by DrunkPunk
I don't think he needs any more of an intro than he has. I love the fact that you can so easily miss a companion, and that he isn't guaranteed to make it through that fight. Stuff like that makes subsequent playthroughs even more interesting.

I disagree, it's the first time you see his character. For every other companion's introduction, they have a cutscene, he gets a voicebark. It's not a proper companion introduction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard