Print Thread
#694941 13/10/20 11:07 PM
MGB Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hello,

I hope this feed back find you well.

If you've played the game for as long as I have (63 hours) or longer, then the next comment needs no explanation:

***Oh Dear God, DEVS please increase the character creation point buy from 27 points to somewhere between 29 -31 points! hehe

Now, with that said...

In my opinion, and everyone's opinion here counts, I think the biggest problem hindering the game is how die rolls can PREVENT story progression.

A bad die roll can stop the player from getting the much needed story item, or finding the right hidden passageway, picking the lock necessary for the story's next step, discovering the ailment and how to treat it so you can add an important NPC to your party.

There are creative solutions for this, like SAVING THE GAME A LOT, but why make players have to do that??

For example, my Githyanki fighter (Lae'zel) should be able to hit monsters and enemies with her sword. I mean she's a fighter right?

The problem is Lae'zel hits much more often with a SPELL than her sword. What??? She's a fighter...oh dear God let her hit something!

My familiars (Quasits & Imps) hit 75% more often than Lae'zel does fighting the exact same enemy.

If I need a fighter to actually hit the BOSS in the BOSS fight and she can't do it, then I most likely will not get the thing I need to advance in the story.

I understand if the DEVS are weighing power limits. If they want to reduce the damage Lae'zel does that's fine. BUT DEAR GOD LET HER HIT SOMETHING!

I love the game and where it is going. This is just my opinion and I don't mean to offend anyone.

+ MGB hehe

F
apprentice
apprentice
F
This sounds like a case of bad luck more than anything. Lae'zel has, in my experience, had no trouble hitting enemies, and there's always an alternative route to progress in the story. DnD is about flexible thinking, and finding alternative options when things (inevitably) go awry.

MGB Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by fishworshipper
This sounds like a case of bad luck more than anything. Lae'zel has, in my experience, had no trouble hitting enemies, and there's always an alternative route to progress in the story. DnD is about flexible thinking, and finding alternative options when things (inevitably) go awry.

You're making my point for me. Negative die rolls soft lock the normal path a player would prefer to take. By the way, alternative options aare NOT exempt from negative die rolls soft locking those paths either.

hehe

Last edited by MGB; 14/10/20 01:02 AM.
P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Originally Posted by MGB

You're making my point for me. Negative die rolls soft lock the normal path a player would prefer to take. By the way, alternative options aare NOT exempt from negative die rolls soft locking those paths either.

hehe

If one path is locked by a negative roll, there's another. If that one is locked, there is another one. If that 3rd one is locked there is, yet again, another path. No matter how many times your dice may fail you, there is always a path forward in the game. Maybe it's not the one you would have preferred, but if you want the preferred option you'll have to save scum it. Either roll with the dice or save scum, the point of some paths being locked by a failed dice roll is that you can replay the game at some point and maybe you'll get a success on that dice roll this time around, and suddenly you can see a whole side of that encounter that you didn't get to before. The only really frustrating thing about having a lot of failed hits in combat is that you can't lock that offending dice away in the corner where it shall never be seen again like it deserves.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by MGB

hehe

preference is a small part of D&D sadly, much of what you do is based on the luck of the die. Get lucky on the die roll can do the preferred path, not so lucky, time to think and find another way. Yeah it soft locks but thats D&D, at times the fails end up being another story in and of themselves. In pnp games they tend to be funnier. Like my groups wizard who didn't even bother to try and roll insight, ended up in a cage, and losing his spellbook. Would he have preferred not to do that I'm sure he would have, is he going to be picked on mercilessly about it at the table, and irl. OOOOH YEAAAH!

Then there is my fighter cleric who couldn't hit the broad side of the barn if someone threw her into it. Which is going to end up with her being again mercilessly picked on about at table, and irl. Would she prefer it not to be so, you bet. Is it 100x funnier the way it happened yes, yes it is.

Same goes in video games. Me and my gaming buddy still give each other shit for our stupid mistakes, even when we would of preferred them to not have happened.

Case in point walking around minding our own business. I happened to look back as I was behind him in time to see my screen fill up with a dragons head coming out of the dark. I screamed like a sissy girl as I kicked my character into sprint mode, while saying in party chat "Run, just run, don't look back!" his response "Why?" stop turn and immediatly say "Oh sit run!" luckily we got away, another player waltzed between us and dragon only to turn into a snack.

Last edited by clavis; 14/10/20 01:13 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Pupito
Originally Posted by MGB

hehe

If one path is locked by a negative roll, there's another. If that one is locked, there is another one. If that 3rd one is locked there is, yet again, another path. No matter how many times your dice may fail you, there is always a path forward in the game. Maybe it's not the one you would have preferred, but if you want the preferred option you'll have to save scum it. Either roll with the dice or save scum, the point of some paths being locked by a failed dice roll is that you can replay the game at some point and maybe you'll get a success on that dice roll this time around, and suddenly you can see a whole side of that encounter that you didn't get to before. The only really frustrating thing about having a lot of failed hits in combat is that you can't lock that offending dice away in the corner where it shall never be seen again like it deserves.

video game dice jail should be a thing, with standard executions of consistantly crap rolls by the same dice! 'Make it so, Larian!'

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
There's a D&D 5e ruleset based game coming out later this month (not sure if I'm supposed to mention the names of other "competing" game here or not lol) that has a ton of options for dice and dice colors, which means if those red dice keep rolling wrong you can swap them to blue and never touch those unlucky red ones again! Virtual dice jail makes me way more excited than it should lol

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by MGB

hehe

Why should players be automatically able to take the path they want to? If there is no adversity, is it a game?

Last edited by Dulany67; 14/10/20 01:42 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Pupito
There's a D&D 5e ruleset based game coming out later this month (not sure if I'm supposed to mention the names of other "competing" game here or not lol) that has a ton of options for dice and dice colors, which means if those red dice keep rolling wrong you can swap them to blue and never touch those unlucky red ones again! Virtual dice jail makes me way more excited than it should lol

Okay seriously my interest is peeked shoot me a pm if you don't want to say it to the massive flock!!! but still send me a pm with the name, so I can tell my fellow DM to look into it as well.

Dice jail for the win!!!!

MGB Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thank you all for your comments and this post was worth it because DICE JAIL is the best Christmas present ever!!

Thanks Again!!

enthusiast
enthusiast
That said, Lae'zel cannot hit more often with a spell than a sword because the Maths long-term is against her doing such. This might happen over the short term of a few attacks (the influence of the dice), but not in the long-term.

She has a +3 bonus from 17 strength to begin with, which is applied to any attack roll with her sword. That's by far her highest attribute in general. Later on this can be even further raised to 18, upon which she gets a +4 bonus on a melee attack.

Last edited by Sven_; 14/10/20 04:18 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Sven_
That said, Lae'zel cannot hit more often with a spell than a sword because the Maths long-term is against her doing such. This might happen over the short term of a few attacks (the influence of the dice), but not in the long-term.

She has a +3 bonus from 17 strength to begin with, which is applied to any attack roll with her sword. That's by far her highest attribute in general. Later on this can be even further raised to 18, upon which she gets a +4 bonus on a melee attack.

you forgot +1 weapons and some other things. but 100% agree. Now Shadowheart on the other hand. lol!

Link Copied to Clipboard