Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Alodar Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I've been trying out a bunch of different characters instead of playing one all the way through, and realized today that they have all been saved over.

Having 15 quick saves and 10 autosaves is pointless if each character overwrites the other character's saves.

Yes I am aware that you can save a game under a specific name and it won't be overwritten, but I was expecting that each character had their own quick saves.

Please sort the saves by the character, it will cause less frustration for idiots like myself and makes it much easier to find a specific game if you are playing multiple characters.

journeyman
journeyman
+1. Yes please.

W
veteran
veteran
W
This is what profiles are for. Make a new profile. This feature is already in the game.

Alodar Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Warlocke
This is what profiles are for. Make a new profile. This feature is already in the game.

Thank you for the direction, it is much appreciated, but that is not an obvious solution.

I would have no expectation that folk who buy this game on full release would know to do that, I certainly didn't.

Most games I have played do this automatically.
IMHO it would be more intuitive if BG3 separated Character saves automatically from the main save screen.

W
veteran
veteran
W
No worries. I also deleted over my first character before I realized that this was the point of profiles. 😂

L
stranger
stranger
L
Why would need different profile? PoE did it without having to create a profile for each character

W
veteran
veteran
W
PoE did create a profile for each character. It just did so automatically as opposed to manually. Definitely more convenient, but once you’ve created a profile then selecting a profile is functionally the same.

Yes please +1

old hand
old hand

No that's not what profiles are for and no this feature is not already in the game.

Yes, please, absolutely. My saves are an absolute mess right now.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by DumbleDorf

No that's not what profiles are for and no this feature is not already in the game.

Yeah. I thought profiles were for different people using the same computer. (Isn't there a limit to the number of profiles you can have?)

I take care of the problem by just hard saving with the characters name at the end of my session (or at whatever points I feel are important). But it would be very nice if each character got their own folder. (I am a compulsive character creator, I am continually making new characters and this current system is a pain in my behind.)

Z.

W
veteran
veteran
W

Save are separated into the discreet profile folders, so yes, this is functionally exactly what the OP is asking for.

old hand
old hand

Save are separated into the discreet profile folders, so yes, this is functionally exactly what the OP is asking for.

Profiles are for different users, not for the same user's multiple characters / saves.

W
veteran
veteran
W

Profiles are for different users, not for the same user's multiple characters / saves.

Why can’t they be used to separate a single user’s multiple saves? I’ve been doing it quite successfully.

I second that - or at least give us an option to name our "new save". I'm currently playing 4 different PC's and it's an absolute mess!

W
veteran
veteran
W
You can name saves, too. You people need to experiment more. 😂

stranger
stranger
I concur, profiles are user based so using them for different character is not what they're supposed to be used for.
The best solution is to have different save folders for each character for each users. So the op's concern is genuine.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I use multiple profiles. It is important for online play. When you use in game chat it uses your profile name not the character's name. So if you want to RP you will need to create a profile with the same name as the character.
I know this isn't what you had in mind. But I find it keeps my saves tidy.

I dont know how many characters you have or how many saves you have per character. I delete all the auto saves and have about 4 'rolling saves' per character.

Love and sausages xx
old hand
old hand

Because you would still have to manually create a new profile any time you want to make a new character, which has nothing to do with what is being asked for here.

If I make a new character, have that character's saves placed in a folder for that character. What is so difficult about that?

Even several 2D indie games made by single developers already do this, so how can a AAA game not get it right?

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 14/10/20 08:28 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
This image comes to mind after reading this discussion.

I think this is a case of where each party is looking at it from a different angle.
Some of us want each character to have their own set of saves(without making a profile).
Some of us want to create a different profile for each character.

Me personally I like to make profiles for each character(as stated above). I also think that what the others are saying about prefering the charc to have its own
saves is essentially an automatic version of what I like to do manually.

That is not to say there is a right/wrong way of going about it. Different strokes for different folks.

[Linked Image]

Love and sausages xx
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard