Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
SecSea Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
I was reading some origins file and saw that Astarion, Laezel, Gale, Shadowheart, and Wyll have attributes set to them to allow for them to have other classes.

I believe that allowing these characters to deviate from their intended theme ruins immersion (not to mention that their personalities fit their roles).

That being said, I wouldn't mind if say Gale can choose to be a wizard or a sorcerer, Astarian can choose to be a rogue or a bard (if that ever happens), etc...

You're attempting to do what you did in DOS 2... Please don't. DOS 2 was a great game, but this game is different from DOS 2 thematically.

Code
                    <attribute id="LockClass" type="bool" value="false"/>

EDIT: I see lots of posts deviating from the subject. This is related to character creation. My opinion still holds because I feel like these characters will no longer be themselves.

Last edited by SecSea; 15/10/20 01:24 AM.
addict
addict
I feel the same about some of the characters whose story is tied directly to their class, specifically Wyll and Shadowheart. However, I think any arcane class would probably be fine for Gale, and the other two really don't have any of their personality wrapped up in their class.

Back from timeout.
P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Yeah, at least for Gale and Wyll their backstories essentially rely on their class. Gale's backstory could probably be fine with him as a Sorcerer or a Wizard, but Wyll kind of has to be a warlock. Going through Gale's backstory about some magical experiment gone wrong or whatever it is wouldn't make too much since if you're playing him as a Barbarian lol

enthusiast
enthusiast
Agreed. If we are even allowed to change anything about them - it should be their attributes, and leave it at that. OR give us more unique items like that circlet which gives 18 int (like after I have gotten it I was sad I didn't give Astarion the arcane trickster subclass, since spell accuracy is tied to int, gonna do that on my 3rd playthrough). In BG1 and BG2 we had access to so many stat changing items, but of course once acquired, we had to make one choice - who should wear it.

I'd say leave the origin companions the way they are. In worst case we can always multiclass them...

veteran
veteran
I also hope they won't do that.
More companions is the key for class variety and allow us to change origin's abilities/subclasses (if not related to their story), proficiencies is the key for us to custom them.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 14/10/20 06:38 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
Are we talking about character creation? or multi-classing?

S
SecSea Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Originally Posted by Zress
Are we talking about character creation? or multi-classing?

They'll be attempting to add this to character creation. You will not be able to change their appearance, but you can change their class.

veteran
veteran
Devs need to learn to not try to please everyone.

Respecing written companions to everyone's favourite class just ends up watering it down for everyone.

stranger
stranger
They need to do the opposite! Allow us to change appearance instead of class!
Also they should always set "bool" to "true"
All we do is bool

enthusiast
enthusiast
It will only end up feeling even more generic than it already does with the class system and having too much consumables/spammables/throwables with op surface effects to solve everything. I don't see Shadowheart making any sense playing like a Barbarian for example.

Last edited by JDCrenton; 14/10/20 08:28 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by 1varangian

Respecing written companions to everyone's favourite class just ends up watering it down for everyone.
If I turn Astarion into a wizard, how does this affect you?

apprentice
apprentice
I agree having everyone be able to do any class is bad idea!!

It will make all characters SAME, and when everything and everyone is same its fkn boring same like loot in DOS2 !!!

veteran
veteran
I disliked this feature in DOS 2, since it stripped down all the companions of of most of their identity.
I feel it would be an even poorer fit for the D&D ruleset and setting.

Not everything that is convenience for the player on the immediate distance makes a game better.

And let's be honest... The feature was in DOS 2 to compensate for the extremely low number of companions available, the mere suggestion it will be in BG3 hints at a similar problem.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
S
SecSea Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Originally Posted by Raflamir
Originally Posted by 1varangian

If I turn Astarion into a wizard, how does this affect you?

I think it's more to do with how does this affect the personality of a character that is now a main character. Right now, the characters have established a strong alignment with their role. Their personalities in my opinion fit that role. Let's guess what would happen if Astarion was a wizard. My guess is that the range of possible stories for Asterion as a character become more limited to accomodate this feature (like it was in DOS 2 , I had very limited side quests or background knowledge of my companions and I wanted to learn more)

Last edited by SecSea; 14/10/20 10:33 AM.
P
journeyman
journeyman
P
+1 Will take a lot of personality and character from the companions

S
SecSea Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Originally Posted by Tuco
I disliked this feature in DOS 2, since it stripped down all the companions of of most of their identity.
I feel it would be an even poorer fit for the D&D ruleset and setting.

Not everything that is convenience for the player on the immediate distance makes a game better.

And let's be honest... The feature was in DOS 2 to compensate for the extremely low number of companions available, the mere suggestion it will be in BG3 hints at a similar problem.

Besides Helia and Karlach, I don't see any other character that is in the works to be a companion frown I hope they take your suggestion to heart

R
stranger
stranger
R
We have evil companions available right now, numbered 5. Quite logical to expect at least 5 more being good/neutral. Hopefully not everyone with Origins, they should left that in DOS where it belongs-but of course teh multiplayer -.-

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by benbaxter
I feel the same about some of the characters whose story is tied directly to their class, specifically Wyll and Shadowheart. However, I think any arcane class would probably be fine for Gale, and the other two really don't have any of their personality wrapped up in their class.

le'eazel = Her goals in life would conflict with her being a wizard, rogue, and a few other classes. The fact of every word out of her mouth is abrassive, egotistical, abusive, and threatening to some degree or another means she can really only be 1 of 2 things Fighter, or Barbarian. Then there are a few other things that would be utterly stupid to have on another class. her skills as well are made for being a front liner/damage dealer in melee

Ast = slimey, but charismatic, a flair for dramatics, every word, even the way he talks screams only Rogue, or Bard. his skills as well make him a rogue, not even bard.

so every companion is built around their class or one nearly identical. yet if you toss them into that nearly identical class they wouldn't be worth much.

So no seriously keep them just the way they are.

D
D
I totally agree with you, OP. The class of a character is a huge part of the identity and it doesn't make sense to let that change, or if it does it takes away from the writing of the character. It simply doesn't make sense and it's one of the bigger criticisms I have with what they've told us.

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
I am fine with allowing multiclassing/switching companion classes. It is probably not something I would do, but you don't need to do it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard