Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
L
stranger
stranger
L
+1 If not possible, make it always rainy night instead of sunny in the first region :P

Last edited by largh; 13/10/20 02:08 PM.
veteran
veteran
I'm all for it.
As I said elsewhere even a "mediocre" implementation would be better than nothing.
I know Larian already said this featue is out of the question, but in the ideal land of milk, honey and dreams I'd take it.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
R
stranger
stranger
R
I posted on another Thread discussing a similar topic to which I've replied. I'm simply going to quote my response here as it's the same issue basically and feel like it could potentially work to add a bit of extra atmosphere to the game. Though, now that I think about it, I remember actually seeing this in the game when moving from the Grove to the Forest, for example. It's just a bit more subtle.

Originally Posted by Raiyan
Originally Posted by largh
Originally Posted by Raiyan
Is it just a visual thing? Or does it affect gameplay?

Light influences how we perceive things. Those vampire encounters on a graveyard in BG2 were epic because they took place in the night. Comparable graveyard scene in D:OS2 was not memorable because it took place in the middle of the day or at least you would not have to time it and wait for the night.

I see what you mean and I agree with you on that. Lighting and effects can certainly enhance the mood and atmosphere. One way they could implement this feature would be through post-processing effects. I'm a huge Guild Wars fan and I grew up with that game and, because every map was its own instance, they didn't feel the need to implement a day/night cycle. Instead, they added these small post-processing effects throughout parts of the map, so that upon entering that area the sky would change to appear darker/brighter, red/green, etc., simulating the effects of day/night cycle or weather and enhancing the overall atmosphere. The feeling you got when all of a sudden the sky turned dark with clouds and in front of you appeared a skeleton necromancer was palpable.

It's not an expensive feature and I think this could work in BG3 as a workaround.

Last edited by Raiyan; 13/10/20 02:22 PM.
K
apprentice
apprentice
K
I think the visual effects would be easier to make. A functional day and night cycle for towns folk (and maybe enemies and wildlife) would consume more time: How would it effect quests, encounters and mechanics ? Can you steal thinks easier at night from sleeping npcs, from drunk npcs? Can you get quests from people sleeping in their bed or will they call the guards an in Skyrim? (Are there even enough beds for all the npcs?) How are they moving during the day? Can you influence the weather with spells?

Don't get me wrong I really would like it and I think it would improve the game (better immersion, more ways to solve quests).

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Uncle Lester
And it's impactful in terms of gameplay, too. Wait until nightfall to infiltrate a camp of diurnal creatures or creep through a city unnoticed. Wait for daytime to explore a graveyard with a low-level party. One place can be wildly different during the day and during the night. Breath of the Wild had a great weather system, though of course it's a very different type of game.

Indeed

H
stranger
stranger
H
The more I play this game the more I believe it's been let down by Larian trying to merge DOS into D&D. Imagine what they could have done with those extra resources if they just stuck with 5e.

apprentice
apprentice
Its strange that 10 years ago they could make night day cycle and on the new super duper engine of Larian they cant...

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by alexawow2006
Its strange that 10 years ago they could make night day cycle and on the new super duper engine of Larian they cant...

Don't be fooled. In terms of dynamic lighting etc Larian's artists and programmers could probably have the feature working in matter of days.
It's the scripting part (having NPCs doing different things or being in different place on day or night) that would take most of the work and that they don't seem to be willing to embark into.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
+1 and I think many players would enjoy that...

(Reddit poll before the EA begins)
https://www.reddit.com/r/baldursgat..._medium=android_app&utm_source=share

But I don't really know how they could handle that because it looks like there is no time management in their games exept a on/off mode.
Time just doesn't exist and every time related things use tricks (i.e "after the 10th long rest", "after this quest").
Not really sure they can even add something related to real time but anyway, I don't really know how that works.

Weather and D/N cycle would be awesome and would add a GREAT value to such a game.
This is one of the biggest things I'd love them to work on during the EA.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 14/10/20 09:06 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
#696172 14/10/20 11:37 AM
apprentice
apprentice
Has anything regarding this been said? I think it was a pretty neat thing in previous games, day and night changing things like creatures who are present, affecting races, skills, items etc.

DoS2 was obviously built without this, but I think it has a much more important conotation in dnd.

However I am sure it is a big deal to work this through - stealth for example is based on cast shadows, so depending on how the team implemented light/shadow detection.

Based on that, I find it likely that Larian's decision on this had already been established, if not announced.

veteran
veteran
Yes, they said they couldn't be bothered so not gonna implement it

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Infiltrator
Has anything regarding this been said? I think it was a pretty neat thing in previous games, day and night changing things like creatures who are present, affecting races, skills, items etc.

DoS2 was obviously built without this, but I think it has a much more important conotation in dnd.

However I am sure it is a big deal to work this through - stealth for example is based on cast shadows, so depending on how the team implemented light/shadow detection.

Based on that, I find it likely that Larian's decision on this had already been established, if not announced.

Too much work - I'd rather have content. You can go into the Underdark if you don't like sunlight wink

.i.
addict
addict
I hope they revisit the idea now they have even more funding.

It enhances the immersion, plus stories are more dramatic at night.

journeyman
journeyman
Day/night cycles are already an incredible workload for just one, somewhat big, map. Considering the fact that this game is going to be absolutely huge, with a lot of different places to visit, implementing day/night cycles is a whole lot of work for something that's not really important to the gameplay.

zeel #696421 14/10/20 01:28 PM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by zeel
Day/night cycles are already an incredible workload for just one, somewhat big, map. Considering the fact that this game is going to be absolutely huge, with a lot of different places to visit, implementing day/night cycles is a whole lot of work for something that's not really important to the gameplay.

Many huge games have D/N cycle.

Immersion is something that should not be dismissed in a RPG. I think this is where Larian needs to improve.

zeel #696443 14/10/20 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by zeel

It is of outmost importance, bandits , vampire's and ghost show up at night, Vampire's get huge buffs while at nigh.
Nights from tactical perspective are of outmost importance as shadows and the darkness make it much harder to hit and see you for sneaking past.
Even for RP and Infiltraten nights are of outmost importance.
Weather effects are also need and the benefits and drawbacks of rain and thunder

The only reason why they don't do it its because they want force that crappy under dark and surface world in one map thing. To bad a loading screen for the under dark and surface world will be necessary to keep them separated as apparently is to hard for the devs cant be bothered to do there programing job. Oh boi let us show two absolutely different environments together one of eternal darknes and one of eternal light, nobody will ever notice that its not raining never gets dark.
I am sorry but this utter terrible game design. Only because nobody could figure out how to make multiplier related loading screens and mechanics for different biomes and environments.

Drop the MP part or over work it I dont care about loading screens, they are welcome bathroom brake.

Last edited by xMardeRx; 14/10/20 01:39 PM.
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman

addict
addict
Didn't BG1 and BG2 have day night cycles and weather?? It even influenced events, quests, some spells etc...Remember that vampire only came out at night in the graveyard, the ghost boy, guards asking why your out so late, different random encounters, the fences of Athkatla who work for the Shadow Thieves, come out with their fancy magical goods, too smile.

Kind of a big deal not having this kind of BG stuff in. Instead we have cinematic dialogue with dicerolls...I guess.

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 14/10/20 02:15 PM.
stranger
stranger
Twould be nice if they'd take the extra scripting effort to have day\night cycles. Would help the world feel more immersive.

addict
addict
In BG2 It even influenced events, quests, stats, some spells etc...Remember that vampire only came out at night in the graveyard, the ghost boy, guards asking why your out so late, different types of random encounters, the fences of Athkatla who work for the Shadow Thieves, come out with their fancy magical goods, Jan busy growing turnips wink

Kind of a big deal not having this kind of BG stuff in. Instead we have camping and cinematic dialogue with dicerolls ...

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 14/10/20 02:41 PM.
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard