Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
journeyman
journeyman
The way I get tot hem is over some chests, so you are on a upper ledge with a ladder/net/vine surface down. I hid, then shot at one. I made sneak rolls and succeeded a few times before any spotted me, and only one aggro'd early on. It was rough, but I found constantly helping up their main focus of attacks was a good way to keep the damage on them until they died.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Ramien
Originally Posted by Doomlord
Originally Posted by Sarcastic Gamer
Any suggestions on how to take them out? The clumsy movement controls of the party does not help.

They jump into the middle of your team, thus stunning some if not all of your team members. Then they hit someone with their club - something like 15 damage. Any left get charged and knocked off the cliff. All in one turn! One team member dying, 2-3 incapacitated and badly injured, and the fight has not even started yet.

I tried sneaking past but invariably some dumb teammember is stuck looking at the scenery (see above re: clumsy movement) and then gets spotted and triggers an attack.

My team composition is ranger, warlock, cleric and fighter.

Curious, I wonder if Larian have removed these Minotaurs, I have been all over the underdark and have not came across them.
They were still there this morning... How did you enter the Underdark?

I entered through the goblin city, under the floor puzzle

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
enthusiast
enthusiast
They are easy pickings once you realize that they patrol the area and you can easily take superior positions and spread. Then you can take a ranger or rogue and nuke one of them out of stealth, while another is far away. You will trigger combat with both, but it will take the second Minotaur good 2 turns to even get in range for jump if you do it right.

Yes their jump is nasty and all, but there's only 2 of them and you can legit take out one in a single turn or two turns with its puny 70 HP, the remaining one you can just outheal anything he does and even if he downs someone, just pick him up and whittle the remaining minotaur's pitiful 70 HP.

This baiting tactics works for almost every such fight. Phase Spider boss? You can pretty much instakill smaller phase spiders from stealth without triggering the boss, then the boss alone is much less of an issue. Gith patrol? Set your archers and casters on bridge and send tank to do the talking, conveniently our green friend is the tank so it even makes RP sense for her to initiate talk. Yes they can Misty Step once and you can just toss them off the bridge.

You can even go nuclear option, there are a lot of explosive barrels all around the game and you can stash them in your camp chest and carry 1-2 with you for emergencies. Throwing that one is basically like casting Fireball if not better.

W
stranger
stranger
W
I was able to kill them because i had the 3 Ogres with me.These Ogres you can recruit outside the Goblin Camp. Fight was not easy required a lot of set up by splitting my warlock and mage and rest of the group.

E
stranger
stranger
E
It was a tough battle, but I was managed to beat them with two companions dying. Spreading my characters and using my strong attacks to focus the first one down quickly seemed to work.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Yeah, don't spread damage. Focus kill them one by one.

B
stranger
stranger
B
I had no trouble beating them, but then the party was all at 4th.

addict
addict
bump
Originally Posted by Ramien
Originally Posted by Sarcastic Gamer
Any suggestions on how to take them out? The clumsy movement controls of the party does not help.

They jump into the middle of your team, thus stunning some if not all of your team members. Then they hit someone with their club - something like 15 damage. Any left get charged and knocked off the cliff. All in one turn! One team member dying, 2-3 incapacitated and badly injured, and the fight has not even started yet.

I tried sneaking past but invariably some dumb teammember is stuck looking at the scenery (see above re: clumsy movement) and then gets spotted and triggers an attack.

My team composition is ranger, warlock, cleric and fighter.

Curious, I wonder if Larian have removed these Minotaurs, I have been all over the underdark and have not came across them.
They were still there this morning... How did you enter the Underdark?

I entered through the goblin city, under the floor puzzle

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
P
stranger
stranger
P
One of them is resistant to slashing, but vulnerable to bludgeoning damage.

apprentice
apprentice
If you're careful, you can split them and pull them back to the party one at a time with a summoned Familiar. Or better yet, to the Underdark BBQ at the temple bridge. If you do it right, you can obliterate a minotaur with the explosive barrels.

stranger
stranger
Yeah I just killed them, Underdark is the last thing ive done after finishing the entire above ground map so I hit the level cap ages ago, I assume you are just meant to tackle them quite late in the game, if you do the goblin camp and then choose the temple underneath as the way of progressing. Lae'azel for me is a beast at the moment, she has a warhammer that does knock back and has her skill that does knock back so she just whacked them around the underdark and my other characters basically just supported, although saying that, Shadowheart has necrotic touch and the level 2 version of that is regularly hitting for high 30s damage so she is no slouch either. Bane helps a lot because it affects their saving throws and then they do their own skill which always give you advantage of attack so my characters were always hitting and then critting quite often.

I think it was largely down to being over-leveled but I think thats just how you are meant to do them.

Last edited by Sambob; 13/10/20 08:39 AM.
R
stranger
stranger
R
Fall damage is op, just knock them over the edge, same as the phase spider, every time it walked over a web, just knock the web out

V
stranger
stranger
V
I lured them back to the gate and let the fireballs kill them. It's actually a bit bugged that the fireballs continue to fly out even in turn based mode so once they move in range it just continues to blast them while you are contemplating your move. My plan was to just get high up on the gate and wear them down while the fireballs hit once each round, but it worked out far more cheesy than that.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Riggerized
Fall damage is op, just knock them over the edge, same as the phase spider, every time it walked over a web, just knock the web out

Is it not supposed to be a strength opposition roll? They must have at least 21 in strength. Must be difficult to do.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Hmmm, I did kill them in the 2nd try and I made so much mistakes, because Iam new to D&D... The first time I got killed because I didnt knew they would come and my team was standing together...
2nd time was quite "easy", just bursted them down, without any tricks or further preperation. Most damage was from this, I dont remember the name, cleric melee magical skill, that hurts a lot laugh

stranger
stranger
Meh they are easy to kill and the fight is fun to do. And ppl want them gone. Christ

T
stranger
stranger
T
Originally Posted by kreon
I took them at the Selune temple. I was *hoping* that the lasers would blast them, but that didn't work. Since that didn't work, strategy was:

-position everyone on the very top of the gate
-close the gate
-use infinite warlock imps to lure them to your position slowly (you could probably do it with mage hand too)
-rain doom down on them

One of them jumped up and messed with us, but we were able to deal with it before the other one arrived. You could probably be more effective by strategically placing explosive barrels outside the temple too.

This is the exact strategy I used. Worked ok. Their brutal jump ability is so ridiculously overpowered. I, too, was hoping the lasers would work...odd they will slaughter the characters but not the monsters. That should be an option!

L
addict
addict
L
My fighter snuck in with hit to start the fight. Then my other three attacked from stealth to enter combat. Both minatours dead with two rounds. I was lvl 4

journeyman
journeyman
I had the bolette (sp?) hit them and took down 1 minotaur while the other was murdering the bolette. After that it was mopping up the last severely wounded minotaur.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Vexor
I had the bolette (sp?) hit them and took down 1 minotaur while the other was murdering the bolette. After that it was mopping up the last severely wounded minotaur.

Lol, must have been fun to watch.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard