Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by pinklily
I actually like the unvoiced main character because it means we can have more dialogue options/opportunity for role playing. Example: Dragon Age: Origins versus Dragon Age: Inquisition. In DA:O your main character could be whoever you wanted them to be and you almost always had a ton of dialogue options to fit the mood and personality of the character you created. In Inquisition, the character was voiced but you generally only got 2-4 options, and sometimes the voicing of those options was the same line with one element changed. That said, I liked Inquisition's main character, but it was Bioware's character--not mine. (In the same turn, I hated all three personality constructs of Hawk from DA:II)

Given that this game is all about the role playing, I think voiceless grants the player a great deal more flexibility.

I feel similarly. Most of my favorite RPGs have unvoiced main characters (KOTOR 2, DA:O) and it lets the devs provide a much broader range of dialogue options. It also lets me imagine how my character sounds and delivers their lines without the game getting in the way. Characters created by the devs being voiced is fine, but I don't like my own custom character to be voiced.

I think what really made Mass Effect stand out, was superb voice acting for Shepard (particularly female Shep). Whoever says that somehow "breaks their immersion" - well I don't know Shep is probably my all time favourite protagonist and I doubt I'm alone in this.

I think it really adds to PC's personality and makes you actually care for them comparing to mostly answering in written one liners (and stupid expression)

I also don't really see the argument od "many races" as particularly valid and I challenge anyone to separate an elf from dwarf (for example Nettie) with their eyes closed.

Last edited by Azarielle; 10/10/20 06:22 AM.
C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Agreed, but I've been running into more and more spoken dialogue with my main character. I've also noticed a few cinematic conversations change even though we are only a few days into early access. I'm not sure if they've been tweaking things or if one of the multitude of character options flipped a switch. It feels like it characters are going to get more speaking lines based on what I've seen in game.

Exactly! It doesn't have to be weird if you're, for example, playing a 60-year-old grizzled warrior who's spend a lifetime drinking and smoking but has the voice of a fresh-faced 20 year old. Not to mention the gamut of voice depth different people have. If the voice is in your head it can be anything you want. I did like Commander Shepard in ME, but again, Shepard was a very defined character. There wasn't a lot of role play flexibility--Shepard was always Shepard. But I'm sure my tiefling is worlds apart from your dwarf.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Rhovaniel
Having played a bit longer I am pretty sure this is just not complete yet. My character sometimes does talk. Most dialogues she stands like a passive doll, for some she animates a little and actually talks, and for very few she talks and is even lip synched. And the ones she talks in are not special scenes where something important is happening - they are just fairly ordinary scenes. So I think full lip synched voices are planned.

Agreed and support having voice acting done for custom Player Character.

Banned
Banned
I also hope they add more voices. On the surface 4 MC voices sounds OK but they are divided between gender and race.

F
apprentice
apprentice
F
My charactet said something at one point while making camp, so I sure hope fully voiced main character is coming. If not then that would just be meh.

journeyman
journeyman
The cinematic approach to Dialogue in BG3 makes a non voice MC feel out of place and really creates an uncanny valley as conversations do not flow with only one side speaking. There are pros and cons to a voiced protagonist, I am not going to pretend that having one comes at no cost, they do. I will say that given the direction they took dialogue and given the results I have seen it is jarring.

I want to end dialogues faster because they are so uncanny. In comparison either fully voiced or totally unvoiced options work well, each have their advantages and disadvantages. I love dialogue intensive RPGs but this is very jarring. The only worse system I encountered was Pillars of Eternity where you would have the first few lines of a conversation voiced and then stop. And it was never consistent so it wasn't like the first paragraph was always voiced so you automatically knew to start reading from the 2nd paragraph. Oh no it varied from one conversation to the next, so I always found I had to read the very sentences I just listen too. It was so annoying I gave up playing. I could have turned off voice (If I recall correctly I had the option) but it so annoyed me and as I recalled that turned off the combat VOs as well. I just got frustrated and moved on to a different game. POE literally killed my enjoyment of the entire series because of that one design choice.

stranger
stranger
+1 for fully voiced protagonist, Larian even said player characters (both origins and customized) would be fully voiced - what there is now is NOT fully voiced, so either it hasn't been implemented yet or they were full of BS. The lack of a voiced protagonist is why I didn't buy the game.

E
stranger
stranger
E
Agreed. I hope there will at least be an option to have voiced main character. It's immersion breaking when you see everyone around your characted talking, while your character uses telepathy.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yes please.

Necromancy is just recycling...
C
stranger
stranger
C
Would love this!

Every now and then my character will make a comment when wandering around (not in cutscenes) and when it happens the game feel so much more immersive. smile

apprentice
apprentice
Yeah, I support a voiced player character. Obviously make it an option you can turn off for players that'd prefer their imagined voice. For me, being mute is more noticeable and jarring in this more cinematic experience. If you play co-op with a friend, you'll notice areas that trigger voiced dialogued between your characters. It's a bit buggy though with missing lines, and abrupt endings. So I assume it's an idea they're still working on

Originally Posted by pinklily
I actually like the unvoiced main character because it means we can have more dialogue options/opportunity for role playing. Example: Dragon Age: Origins versus Dragon Age: Inquisition. In DA:O your main character could be whoever you wanted them to be and you almost always had a ton of dialogue options to fit the mood and personality of the character you created. In Inquisition, the character was voiced but you generally only got 2-4 options, and sometimes the voicing of those options was the same line with one element changed. That said, I liked Inquisition's main character, but it was Bioware's character--not mine. (In the same turn, I hated all three personality constructs of Hawk from DA:II)

Given that this game is all about the role playing, I think voiceless grants the player a great deal more flexibility.

Pretty much this. I found the voice packs used in the older D&D series more than sufficient and they make for more extensive and flexible roleplaying dialogues. It's easier to add or allter existing dialogues when they're not voiced. It also makes the gap between future mods and the OC less jarring. And last but not least, I find that the tone of voice acting in modern RPGs often conflicts with how I think my character would have voiced this dialogue in my head.

R
stranger
stranger
R
I think Larian has found a good middleground between voiced and unvoiced PC. Some scripted scenes such as when you first go to camp or when you're traveling and your PC comments on something are more than enough. Dialogue choices shouldn't be voiced because it allows for more flexibility in terms of roleplay options. Perhaps sprinkle a couple more pieces of PC voiced dialogue throughout the game, like when you're getting whipped by that maniac in the Goblin camp (forgot his name), your PC could audibly scream if failing the [Constitution] check.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard