Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
enthusiast
enthusiast
BioWare jettisoned the Day/Night Cycle when they launched TOB.

I spent a lot of time on their forums back then, back when BioWare still had their own forums, and they explained that they felt the Day/Night cycle didn't really add anything and more often than not you had players standing around waiting for it to become day so they could interact with the folks they needed to interact with. (It also spawned ridiculous situations like traveling from one map to another and it taking 78 hours and you show up exhausted when obviously you would have rested on your journey.)

It really wouldn't be a BG game if they included a day/night cycle as the original developers of BG decided that it wasn't worth it over 19 years ago. It would be a huge slap in the face to the lessons that BioWare learned.

enthusiast
enthusiast

I spent a lot of time on their forums back then, back when BioWare still had their own forums, and they explained that they felt the Day/Night cycle didn't really add anything and more often than not you had players standing around waiting for it to become day so they could interact with the folks they needed to interact with. (It also spawned ridiculous situations like traveling from one map to another and it taking 78 hours and you show up exhausted when obviously you would have rested on your journey.)

It really wouldn't be a BG game if they included a day/night cycle as the original developers of BG decided that it wasn't worth it over 19 years ago. It would be a huge slap in the face to the lessons that BioWare learned.

I think it's a reasonable trade-off to not have a day/night cycle. You lose a few things like enemies tied to the night cycle, and you can't have quests requiring things like "meet X at midnight by the docks." But then the devs don't have to program a sleep cycle for merchants either. There is nothing sillier than seeing merchants standing around at 3am ready to sell you stuff.

I do like day/night cycles in games like Witcher 3, but that's more of an immersive simulation style of Action/RPG, and probably had a much larger budget to work with.

I'd like to see more weather, but that might mess with Larian's heavy use of surface hazards. Can't have flames or acid everywhere on the ground if it's raining or snowing. Although, I think I remember at least one zone like that in the DOS 1 game.

Originally Posted by Alodar

Bioware did not learn a thing, there games got worse over time not better. I wont touch even one of there products. Same goes for elders scrolls sires that only got much much worse.
When will game designer bafoons learn that streamlining is crap. The theory they learn is usless.

Day night, weather effects are all important for quest, immersion and it only depends on the game designer to implement and use them but a lazy incompetent one wont even bother. Its always sunny in California. To bad the game is not set there.

Last edited by xMardeRx; 14/10/20 05:35 PM.
addict
addict

I would beg to question whether they learned the correct lessons.

One could also say "BioWare learned the lesson that cRPGs are shit and therefore abandoned the genre after DA:O."

G
addict
addict
G
I would really love a day/night cycle, and passage of time in general. This world doesn't feel alive to me - every NPC and their problems just vanish when I'm not watching them. I would really love for there to be a more meaningful difference between wandering around to get a quick scout of everything on the map and rushing in because we need to rescue those hostages right now!

veteran
veteran
This is a strange lesson because many players arround the world definitely think that the D/N cycle + meteo add a great value to the old games. Maybe that's not the majority, Idk.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
When did exactly Bioware jettison D/N cycle with Throne of Bhaal?

apprentice
apprentice
+1
This would be awesome

I think they could at least attach a day cycle to short rests.

Use 1 short rest, the lighting turns more orange as the sun beings to set

Use a 2nd short rest, it starts to get dark, map is more moonlit now

Random chance of weather for each of these time sections, but then you'll get into a big debate on surface area effects with the ground being all wet

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by xMardeRx

Bioware did not learn a thing, there games got worse over time not better. I wont touch even one of there products. Same goes for elders scrolls sires that only got much much worse.

Once BioWare was purchased by Electronic Arts their games certainly went downhill.

For those who enjoy a Day/Night cycle more power to you. If you think it would add to the game -- good for you.
However those arguing that no Day/Night cycle means it's not BG are factually incorrect. The BG franchise dropped the Day/Night cycle with Throne of Bhaal. Using a Day/Night cycle in BG3 would go against the lessons learned from the BG developers.

Last edited by Alodar; 14/10/20 08:09 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Uncle Lester

I would beg to question whether they learned the correct lessons.

One could also say "BioWare learned the lesson that cRPGs are shit and therefore abandoned the genre after DA:O."

Once BioWare was purchased by Electronic Arts their games certainly went downhill.

For those who enjoy a Day/Night cycle more power to you. If you think it would add to the game -- good for you.
However those arguing that no Day/Night cycle means it's not BG are factually incorrect. The BG franchise dropped the Day/Night cycle with Throne of Bhaal. Using a Day/Night cycle in BG3 would go against the lessons learned from the BG developers.

H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H
Originally Posted by HeavensBells
I
Originally Posted by Uncle Lester
I THINK the time passage issue could be solved in a couple of different ways, but I have no confidence in my ability to estimate how viable this is.

One way (perhaps a crude one) would be to measure time passage by "not in TB party member(s) time flow". If it makes sense. Or the opposite, stop/slow time passage (in terms of time of the day) to match characters currently in TB. TB, FTB and mixed-mode party make the game world function in a weird temporal shift anyway, so I don't think it would make it worse. This would be sooort of similar to your suggested real world time passage, in that it would unify all party members' time.

I do realise that fully implementing day/night cycle and weather would be a massive amount of work, but imo it would do wonders for the game. So much more reactivity. Rain douses flames. Wind dispels clouds quicker. And let's not forget: Larian have underlined the significance of light/shadow in the game, and those systems would add so much depth to it.

To add to that, it would give a strategic layer to rests - perhaps limiting long rests to 1/day on higher/"survival" difficulties.

Great points I'd also add that, if you've chosen to play as a Astarion or a Drow, how are we gonna walk around in the sunlight when the tadpole is removed? Or is it never going to be removed at all?

Drow can go outside. It just their gear that get dusted. Its takes a long time for them to accomodate to sunlight, though. Its hurts their eyes.

If it's what it's takes to save the world, then the world doesn't deserves to be saved - Geralt
stranger
stranger
Apologies for the mild necro, but I would like to add my +1 for a day/night cycle that affects gameplay, as well as dynamic wheather (which could also affect gameplay: rain could douse fire; snow could stick to the ground and make it slippery, fog could reduce visual range, etc..)

The original games also had different music themes for day and night, which were really variations on the same pattern/progression. I thought that added a lot to the atmosphere, and it was one of those touches that really made the games feel like AAA titles back when they were released.

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question and he'll look for his own answers."
— Kvothe, The Name Of The Wind
veteran
veteran
It's crazy BG1 and 2 had this but the game that comes out in 2020 doesn't.

It adds so much to the atmosphere when night falls in the wilderness, or it starts raining. The empty streets of Baldur's Gate at night after a busy day... The world becomes alive.

F
apprentice
apprentice
F
So I see a lot of comments about graveyards needing a day / night cycle so why don't they do just that. For certain areas in the game that requires it (cities, graveyards) they introduce a day night cycle and others they do not. That would be a compromise I'd be willing to take, even if it was only the largest graveyard that had it. If they could do it just for city of Baulder's Gate my expectations would be exceeded.

P
Pah Offline
stranger
stranger
P
They went "Dragon Age Origin" with the camp you go to to rest at night and talk with companion you do not take in your party.

I also much prefer the Baldur's Gate way with Day/Night and weather cycles, and the camp you dress where ever you can
sometimes leading to dangerous sleepless nights.

I don't know how they can manage the other companions in this case, the party limit of 4 doesn't help.

Last edited by Pah; 16/10/20 06:15 PM.
stranger
stranger
This is a must on any RPG , i hope the devs consider it.

veteran
veteran
Aaand another recurring thread.
Seriously people, is it too much to use a search function for once?
Maybe we could have a discussion about a single topic that could go on for more than four replies, instead of fifteen threads with one reply each.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
S
S
I am sure Larian will add day and night cycle to the game. I mean it is 2020 and thinking about a serious cRPG without night time is absurd.

Also, I red somewhere in the forum some one suggested random encounters and attacks at camp at night. It is a wonderful idea especially when you camp in more dangerous areas further in story.

However, camping system in EA is terrible and totally immersion breaker. I mean having the ability to have a long rest wherever and whenever you wish after a fight is just cheating.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by sinogy
I am sure Larian will add day and night cycle to the game. I mean it is 2020 and thinking about a serious cRPG without night time is absurd.

Also, I red somewhere in the forum some one suggested random encounters and attacks at camp at night. It is a wonderful idea especially when you camp in more dangerous areas further in story.

However, camping system in EA is terrible and totally immersion breaker. I mean having the ability to have a long rest wherever and whenever you wish after a fight is just cheating.

Rests need a reworking, yes. I doubt they will remove the transport to and from the campground, unfortunately. Day/night isn’t happening.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard