Print Thread
#697493 14/10/20 08:02 PM
T
tails Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
I don't know what you guys are doing with the updates to mess it up so badly but whatever it is wether that be due to your connection to steam, the client or your coding, it needs to be fixed. yesterday a small update of 450 mb took 45 min to "download" (more like install) and this update downloaded in 30 seconds yet is stuck on 15m at "downloading", this cant continue! its a huge annoyance both for playing the game and more importantly the general feel of steam.

Last edited by tails; 14/10/20 08:04 PM. Reason: fix stuff and add more words
apprentice
apprentice
yeah steam rewrites the entire client as a backup and my pc doesnt have enough space so it takes a billion years to update, even tho i can download within seconds

R
R
Fine on GoG for me.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Yeah... mine is updating right now. Currently stuck at 91% update auto-pauses. When I resume, it hangs at 91% again and pauses. Rinse Repeat. Restarted Steam, etc... makes no difference. This is truly painful. Starting to wish I had just waited a couple of months.

GoG redownloaded the entire client, all 63 Gb of it ><

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Relampago
Fine on GoG for me.

Same here 0 issues on GoG. I think Steam is just overworked due to extremely popular demand.

K
apprentice
apprentice
K
30 minutes of steam preallocation
1 minute of download
2 hours of installing

I didnt have this kind of issue with the hotfixes

stranger
stranger
I'm 43 minutes in to my update and still preallocating. Plenty of space on my drive it's installed on

D
stranger
stranger
D
Agreed! Today's 540MB patch took 44 minutes to complete. I'm not sure what my average d/l speed was but it's usually about 9MB/s and I know it peaked at 11.4MB/s this time so the actual d/l took approximately one minute. The other 98% of the time it was the ridiculously long preallocating and actual installing of the patch.

veteran
veteran
The actual download part of this update was fine.

The problems were that Steam preallocated an entire game's worth of space (~80GB) then copied over the entire game (again, 80GB) to/from that reallocated space. Or something similar, my computer wrote and then deleted 80GB worth of files somewhere...

No other games I've seen do that. An update of this small size shouldn't need to copy the whole game twice.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
IMHO this is really a Steam problem. People have been complaining about the preallocating malarky for years and I've no idea how they've managed to make it so slow.

J'aime le fromage.
journeyman
journeyman
+1

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard